VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Fairly regular DVD to avi results in a horizontal green line flashing / blinking for some time. It's a bit odd because it doesn't happen all the time but it occurs with stuff from totally different sources. Well, both were NTSC but one is an old VHS tape conversion 4:3 and the other is a DVD rip 16:9. I tried various bitrates and but no luck.

Examples (it's not there all the time, it's blinking.)

Click image for larger version

Name:	example1.jpg
Views:	672
Size:	28.5 KB
ID:	23566

Click image for larger version

Name:	example2.jpg
Views:	572
Size:	19.4 KB
ID:	23567

What I'm hoping for is a way to keep using AutoGK for the time being. Don't say it, eventually I will abandon xvid avi.
    But for now I'd be happy and grateful if anyone could solve this. Ideas?
    This is nøt å signåture.™
    Quote Quote  
  2. Is it in your source? You wouldn't normally see it because TVs overscan (you don't see about 5 percent at the edges of the frame).

Stick with mod 16 frame sizes whenever possible. Never go below mod 4. Some players have problems like that in your samples with less than mod 4.
    Last edited by jagabo; 13th Feb 2014 at 19:12.
    Quote Quote  
  3. AutoGK only does mod16. The only time I've seen it do something like that is when re-encoding AVIs which are mod2, as it decodes via DirectShow. If the source video is the usual DVD/MPEG2 video though.....

It might pay to upload a sample of the source video for which you can repeat the problem when encoding.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Is it in your source? You wouldn't normally see it because TVs overscan (you don't see about 5 percent at the edges of the frame).
    No, I checked because assumptions are the mothers of all f-ups, but source video is clear. The colour example comes from a commercial DVD. Three of its items have this when I encode them, the others don't.

Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Stick with mod 16 frame sizes whenever possible. Never go below mod 4. Some players have problems like that in your samples with less than mod 4.
    Originally Posted by hello_hello View Post
    AutoGK only does mod16. The only time I've seen it do something like that is when re-encoding AVIs which are mod2, as it decodes via DirectShow. If the source video is the usual DVD/MPEG2 video though.....

It might pay to upload a sample of the source video for which you can repeat the problem when encoding.
    Eh, mod4/16? I'm afraid I just bumped my head against the limit of my knowledge. Ouch.
    Anyway here's a bit of one of the videos I was working from (opening titles for an ancient TV series (the end theme is even better)). Hopefully you can find something. Meanwhile I'll try it on another computer.
    Last edited by Spiny Norman; 14th Feb 2014 at 06:44. Reason: forgot link
    Quote Quote  
  5. a source is modX compliant, when it's width and height are evenly dividable by X.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Mod 16 means an integer multiple of 16: 16, 32, 48, 64...

Both your source (720x480) and AVI file (720x544) have mod 16 frame sizes so the problem must be somewhere else in the processing. Maybe a bad MPEG2 decoder or bad AviSynth or VirtualDub filter.
    Last edited by jagabo; 14th Feb 2014 at 09:29.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Seems it is a local problem, it totally disppeared when done on another computer. ???
    Quote Quote  
  8. I suspect the difference is in the AviSynth filters or version.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Have you installed a different version of Xvid at some stage, or installed something else which might have done so?
    If in doubt, uninstall Xvid and use the AutoGK installer to re-install it. Doing the same for Avisynth might also be a goof idea.

AutoGK configures Xvid for each encode.... changing settings according to the results of the compression test etc. Generally it can't do it properly when a different version of Xvid is installed, which can result in an encode not looking as good as it should, amongst other things. The "green line" issue you're having might be totally unrelated to the version of Xvid, but anything's possible.
    Have you used the preview function to check the output before encoding? Any lines of green?

Edit: A few minutes after submitting this post my brain caught up with my typing and it occurred to me to check the AVI sample you uploaded. The writing library is listed by MediaInfo as "XviD 1.2.1 (UTC 2008-12-04)" which I'm very certain is the version of Xvid AutoGK installs.
    Last edited by hello_hello; 15th Feb 2014 at 06:07.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I've gotten that randomly when I used to use AutoGK and after I switched to VidCoder. After spending much time trying to figure it out, I noticed it's presence varies by media player. So at least in my case, it's a media player/playback issue and not an actual encoding issue.
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I've had this show up before. if I recall correctly it was from Fielddeinterlace in avisynth and the issue was solved by switching to TDeint
    Quote Quote