VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi all,
    I was wondering if anybody knows the best way to only lower the bitrate of a blu ray video file, but do absolutely no processing on the video at all apart from that.
    All filters switched to 'off' is an obvious one, but in the first, 'picture' tab, I wonder if anybody can tell me the best setting? Is it 'none', or 'strict'? Or ?

Thanks in advance
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    To the best of my knowledge Handbrake outputs H.264 video. If your source video is VC-1 or MPEG-2 (both are valid for BluRay although less common than H.264) then your output will be converted from whatever the original was to H.264.

What exactly are you trying to do? Get the encodes done as quickly as possible?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Not a time thing, it's more that the image is fine - and I know that the more the processing, the more the image can degrade, depending of course on the process. But I just want a smaller file - and not to change the aspect ratio or image quality etc, which Handbrake can do so wonderfully. So I figured if there was a way to set the video/picture tabs to minimal or no processing, then the image - which I like as is, will stay the same - apart from the lower bit-rate of course - but I'm still allowing ample bit-rate, so it shouldn't change much at all. Does that make sense? I've probably repeated myself.

The two files I'm looking at now are already AVC, so I assume they won't be converted to another format.

Thanks for responding so quickly, btw.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Encoding will take video apart and puts it together again from scratch, so question is not how to keep the quality same but to encode it the best way possible again. You choose RF factor for encoding and keep that number low to your needs. The lower - the better quality, but size increases...

For example, try 18, if it is not good enough for you try 17 etc. or even higher if size is too high for you. Choosing slower presets will shrink result a bit more.
    Quote Quote