VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I'm having an issue where some files that are on my computer are not showing up in the menu on my xbox when I'm using that to stream to my TV. I use the "System Video Player" to access my laptop. They also show up in my Windows Media Player library as "other" files rather than showing up with the other files from the same group/folder. And now I see the same thing on my blu-ray player. So really, everything I guess.

If I use File Format and convert them to avi or just run it through and keep it as an mp4 they then show up. But some mp4s show up without converting. I don't like converting since it usually makes them out of sync.

Does anyone know what causes this to happen?
    Is there some metadata I can just edit rather than going through the conversion for these?

Oh, I have a similar issue with some mkv files where they all show up as "avi demux" or something rather than the file name.

So it seems to me there must be metadata that's giving the file name info and not the actual file name itself. Is that correct? That's the only think I can think of since the actual file names are the same format.

Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I would try a separate streaming software like ps3 media server, plex, etc.

Because not all mp4s/mkvs are the same. It could be different video and audio codecs. Not just the metadata. So some files might require reconversion or realtime transcoding with a streaming software.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post
    I would try a separate streaming software like ps3 media server, plex, etc.

Because not all mp4s/mkvs are the same. It could be different video and audio codecs. Not just the metadata. So some files might require reconversion or realtime transcoding with a streaming software.
    Thanks.

So far though multiple programs don't see the same certain files. WMP, xbox and my Sony BD set top player. So it must be the files themselves. Is there metadata? If so, is there something I can easily use to look at and edit it? Also, I believe the files in question have been made the same, should have same codecs etc...

EDIT TO ADD: Here's something else I just found out now. If I rename files they still show up in xbox and WMP with the original names, not the file names I renamed them to. So it has to be metadata, no? I just need to know where that is and how to edit it. /EDIT

I used to use TVersity to stream to xbox but I suspect xbox is blocking it now or something, it doesn't show up on the xbox anymore or I would check using that. But that won't solve the BD player not seeing them anyway.

Also, I don't think I got this issue with avi files, can't be positive though, it's mp4 files that I'm getting this and it's becoming more often lately.
    Last edited by isisism; 2nd Mar 2014 at 18:18.
    Quote Quote