VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I working with a bunch of VHS tapes that were captured in 640x480 resolution and I would like to capture them in Adobe Premiere Pro. Prior to knowing that the videos where 640x480 I captured in Premiere using the DV codec at 720x480. I'm trying now to figure out the best way to capture the SD VHS tapes in 640x480 so that the image is not stretched. Any help would be appreciated.
    Last edited by DigitalRootsStudio; 12th Feb 2014 at 21:11.
    Quote Quote  
  2. If you set up your timeline as DV-NTSC (Standard 48khz) the video will display correctly as 4:3. The pixels are non-square. That's how it's supposed to work.

How were the VHS tapes captured at 640x480 originally? You shouldn't have to recapture them in Premiere.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I'm sorry for the confusion, the tapes were originally shot at 640x480, not captured. The tapes have been given to me to capture and I originally captured them at 480x720 but am not sure how to capture the VHS tapes in Premiere Pro with settings 640x480.
    Last edited by DigitalRootsStudio; 12th Feb 2014 at 21:11.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    What do you want to do with these captures? Besides losing 40% of your chroma and other video data by capturing analog VHS to lossy DV compression, you should be aware that DV is not playable on most set top players or TV's. DV is deigned for PC display only.

If you want the captures to ultimately be burned to DVD, you will have to resize the 640x480 captures to 720x480, then re-encode the lossy DV captures to 720x480 MPEG2, and re-author and burn them to disc. You can use Adobe for these tasks, but expect a quality loss.
    Last edited by sanlyn; 19th Mar 2014 at 07:24.
    Quote Quote  
  5. The person I'm doing these for ultimately would like the files back so they can put on their web page for an archive of speeches that have taken place. Originally I was going to just give AVI back to the customer prior to knowing what they wanted them for, but am thinking H264 would be the best. If the ultimate goal is to store on a server for people to view then what would you suggest I capture out, and with what codec? Thanks for you help
    Last edited by DigitalRootsStudio; 12th Feb 2014 at 19:21.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Wait seriously, with all the services your company offers you don't KNOW this stuff?
    Quote Quote  
  7. The video tech is gone and I'm trying to get some answers for the client b/c the video tech is gone until Monday. Unfortunately I have no way of reaching him so I'm trying to get the answers right now and thought this would be a good place to start.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by DigitalRootsStudio View Post
    ...the tapes were originally shot at 640x480, not captured....
    This is confusing. Originally shot at 640x480?? VHS is analogue. In and of itself you can't tell VHS is 640x480, unless in a related way you are referring to it having 525 physical lines vertically (480 visible program area)(NTSC), and about 250 resolution lines horizontally (depends on how it was measured).
    A common lossy way of capturing would be to DV-AVI. You probably infer that NTSC DV-AVI's 720x480 resolution is not 4:3, no? While you are on this you then probably have to brush up on the many types of aspect ratios (AR) there are. For starters, 720x480 is the signal aspect ratio (SAR) of NTSC DV-AVI. It is intended to be seen, though, as 4:3, which is the display aspect ratio (DAR), and from which one can suppose the 720 is squished to 640 so that it displays correctly. The 720x480 SAR is also, like 640x480 DAR, 4:3; the pixels are just not square.
    For the nth time, with the possible exception of certain Intel processors, I don't have/ever owned anything whose name starts with "i".
    Quote Quote  
  9. Ok, thanks for the help and clarification.
    Quote Quote  
  10. If you're in Premiere CC, use the f4v output option and set your video dimensions to 640x480. You can change the extension to .mp4 with no apparent ill effect.
    Quote Quote