VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I'm using the Womble MPEG Video Wizard DVD 5.0.1.109 on Window 8.1. When I load an AVI or MP4 file to edit I only hear the audio, cant see the video. In my other Win-7 computer the Womble MPEG Video Wizard DVD worked fine. Do I need any special codesc for my Win 81 computer? Thanks for help
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    All videos require codecs or filters to play.

Try firstly installing ffdshow

If that fails you need to see what codecs are in the avi or mp4. MediaInfo will give you that information. Just install those codecs and NOT a codec pack.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thanks DB83 for your quick reply. I did download and install ffdshow_rev4530_20140209_clsid.exe that did not help me solve the problem. I also di install the K-Lite Mega Pack
    Do you recommend something else. Thanks
    Last edited by hoankiem0950; 12th Feb 2014 at 12:19.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Following are details of the file as supplied by MdiaInfo. Do you have any comments? Thanks
    General
    Complete name : D:\Videos\ASIA_PBN_VS\PBN_109 (1).mp4
    Format : MPEG-4
    Format profile : Base Media
    Codec ID : isom
    File size : 1.68 GiB
    Duration : 2h 4mn
    Overall bit rate mode : Variable
    Overall bit rate : 1 932 Kbps
    Writing application : Lavf50.4.0

Video
    ID : 1
    Format : MPEG-4 Visual
    Format profile : Simple@L3
    Format settings, BVOP : No
    Format settings, QPel : No
    Format settings, GMC : No warppoints
    Format settings, Matrix : Default (H.263)
    Codec ID : 20
    Bit rate : 1 800 Kbps
    Width : 720 pixels
    Height : 480 pixels
    Display aspect ratio : 16:9
    Original display aspect ratio : 3:2
    Frame rate mode : Constant
    Frame rate : 29.970 fps
    Standard : NTSC
    Color space : YUV
    Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
    Bit depth : 8 bits
    Scan type : Progressive
    Compression mode : Lossy
    Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.174
    Stream size : 1.57 GiB (93%)
    Writing library : XviD 1.1.0 (UTC 2005-11-22)

Audio
    ID : 2
    Format : AAC
    Format/Info : Advanced Audio Codec
    Format profile : LC
    Codec ID : 40
    Bit rate mode : Variable
    Bit rate : 128 Kbps
    Channel(s) : 2 channels
    Channel positions : Front: L R
    Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz
    Compression mode : Lossy
    Stream size : 114 MiB (7%)
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    mp4 with mpeg-4 visual and aac audio may need the haali media splitter to be installed.
    You can try rendering the file with Graphstudio and see what happens.
    Quote Quote  
  6. mp4 with mpeg-4 visual and aac audio may need the haali media splitter to be installed.
    You can try rendering the file with Graphstudio and see what happens.
    I tried my best, unfortunately they did not help.
    My objective is to view & edit AVI, MP4 .... files in Womble MPEG Video Wizard that was working fine in my other Windows 7 computesr.
    Thanks for help.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Try another editor such as avidemux.

That particular avi is giving an odd id whereas it such be a straight-forward xVID
    Quote Quote  
  8. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Win 8.1 is so cutting edge and your video file is so unusual (Xvid video + AAC audio - made by someone who didn't know what the hell he was doing) that I'm not surprised that you are having problems. Maybe if you put it in another container (AVI or MKV) it will help.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Thanks again,
    I come back to use my old W7 to complete the jobs.
    That's sound funny, but I have no choice.
    Still find out a way to do in W8.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    So you must ask yourself what you have installed on your old Win7 that is not on the Win8 one.

You can start by uninstalling that codec pack which might have done more harm than good.

Like I said, just install the codecs you actually need.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    So you must ask yourself what you have installed on your old Win7 that is not on the Win8 one.
    You can start by uninstalling that codec pack which might have done more harm than good.
    Like I said, just install the codecs you actually need.
    Thanks, we'll follow yr advices, will report back with results.
    Happy Valentine Day to you and all
    Quote Quote  
  12. Hi DB83,
    I just temporarily solved the problem the simple way: ONLY RENAME THE FILE EXTENSION TO MPG AND IT IS VIEWED in Womble MPEG Video Wizard ......

and this is FINAL!!!!
    Next time I dont have to rename file extensions, all files now opened in Womble MPEG-Video-Wizard DVD Video just fine.
    Last edited by hoankiem0950; 14th Feb 2014 at 10:25.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well you had a quirky file so any quirky fix could solve it.

That's not to say that the next file had the same issues.

But glad to read that you appear to have 'solved' the problem.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yes, you should not be surprised if you encounter similar problems again in the future. The standard version of Windows 8 and 8.1 are missing some decoders and other video and audio related features that were included in Windows XP, Vista and 7. About the only video decoder it includes is for WMV. Upgrading to the Win 8,1 Pro and installing Windows Media Center replaces at least some of the missing pieces, but perhaps not all of them.

The reason given for removing some video and audio related features is to avoid the costs associated with licensing the necessary codecs and DVD libraries (see http://www.zdnet.com/blog/bott/if-vlc-can-ship-a-free-dvd-player-why-cant-microsoft/4962), but there may be more to the story. MS was sued in the EU over including Windows Media Player for free, and heavily fined. (Microsoft was accused of engaging in anti-competitive practices by some of its competitors for providing a built-in media player at no additional cost.)
    Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    Yes, you should not be surprised if you encounter similar problems again in the future. The standard version of Windows 8 and 8.1 are missing some decoders and other video and audio related features that were included in Windows XP, Vista and 7. About the only video decoder it includes is for WMV. Upgrading to the Win 8,1 Pro and installing Windows Media Center replaces at least some of the missing pieces, but perhaps not all of them.

The reason given for removing some video and audio related features is to avoid the costs associated with licensing the necessary codecs and DVD libraries (see http://www.zdnet.com/blog/bott/if-vlc-can-ship-a-free-dvd-player-why-cant-microsoft/4962), but there may be more to the story. MS was sued in the EU over including Windows Media Player for free, and heavily fined. (Microsoft was accused of engaging in anti-competitive practices by some of its competitors for providing a built-in media player at no additional cost.)
    Thanks for the info. In searching for fixing my problem I did think of installing Windows Media Center, but I could not since I have to upgrade to 8.1 Pro first that my computer was not ready. I encounter no problem right now with Womble MVW. I will post back here with new problems and follow your comments.
    Quote Quote