VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Anonymous34
    Hello everyone, so I've got an Intel D2550MUD2 desktop motherboard with an atom processor with 2 GBs of ram, and the problem is it can't play fluid online video, not even 480 without being choppy, But files saved on my hard drive can play no problem even 1080, and I don't understand where's the problem. I have all the latest drivers and flash and all installed. What's interesting is that if I open a youtube link with VLC it plays flawlessly 720, so this proves that it can play streaming hd video with "the right software" but I wish it could with the browser too, and by the way I tried most with no succes, however I found that Chrome (which I like to use) works actually worse than Opera or Firefox.

So, any idea why the choppiness in browser streaming and not on stored files or even streamed through VLC?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Deceased
    Search PM
    It could be that the flash overhead pushes CPU utilization too much for your hardware. Flash has relatively high CPU utilization, combined with the browser running - which can be high at times too, and does a lot of file I/O - and it may just be too much.

To test, check your CPU utilization with the flash player running and compare that level to with just VLC playing a local file of around the same bitrate.
    Quote Quote  
  3. flash can be buggy with different browsers and drivers

try disabling (if enabled) or enabling (if disabled) hardware accelaration in flash
    Quote Quote  
  4. Anonymous34
    Thanks for your feedback

poisondeathray I disabled hardware acceleration and it actually made the playback even worse

blimey Indeed it seems like the CPU utilization has a direct connection with the playback fluidness. In Chrome, with 1080p Youtube, the CPU stays around 90-100% most of the time. In Firefox hovers around 50% and while it stays there the playback seems decent and watchable but say every 15 seconds it jumps from 50 to 85% for a second or two and then it freezes until it levels down to 50% again. So it seems that Firefox uses the CPU in a different way that Chrome does.

Playing a 1080p local file in VLC keeps the CPU at about 50% with decent but far from ideal playback however in Windows media player the CPU hovers around 13% with rare 40% spikes with very good playback, almost flawless.

Ok now what would my options be? I know there is a decoding card called Broadcom Crystal HD, should it help the CPU decode whatever it needs to?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    files saved on my hard drive can play no problem even 1080, and I don't understand where's the problem
    There's a difference ... those downloading can suffer severe buffering which is linked to your internet connection and number of hops to the file currently played.

Check your internet connection bandwidth and try a few other video sites to verify the cause.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Anonymous34
    Bjs I understand what you're saying but my internet is fine, proof is when I try playing a youtube link with VLC (Media - Open network stream) as I stated in my first post. The reason I gave the example of playing files from my HDD is to show that my PC is capable to play HD video, so the problem isn't my display adapter or cpu. However it seems that decoding Flash might be a bit too much for the Atom. All other sites is the same story of course..
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well vlc use their own decoders so do not use the browser's flash player.

You should ensure you also use the latest version of Flash Players. Adobe issued an update a few days ago. Their previous version was buggy
    Quote Quote  
  8. Anonymous34
    So nobody has any experience with the crystal hd decoder? I have a mini pci-e slot so I could install one if it would help decode Flash. Or maybe should I add a couple of GBs of ram since I only have 2 GBs now and the motherboards max is 4GB? Although I'm not sure it would help much
    Quote Quote