VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello everyone this is my first post on here, I am very new to video conversion and REALLY need some guidance. Here's what im going for!

My goal is to... Convert EVERYTHING into .MP4 so I can put it on my Western Digital My Cloud, open the video's on my Ipad and then using APPLE TV mirror them onto any TV hooked up with Apple TV.

Convert -> My Cloud -> iPad -> Apple TV

The program I have paid for is GOM Converter, I just need help selecting the settings best used to keep the file sizes roughly the same (a little bigger for quality purposes would be okay) but ultimately end up with the video, in an .MP4

Here's the settings I can change:

Video:

Video Codec? MPEG-4 Video OR MPEG-4 AVC / H.264

How many passes? [1PASS-VBR] OR [1PASS-CBR] OR [2PASS-CBR]

Audio:

I only have MPEG-4 audio codec, so which format should I be using?

I have no idea what to play around with in here..

I hope someone can help me out with this, or even redirect me to a link or thread that can solve my problem. Thanks in advance!

Cheers!
    Quote Quote  
  2. There is no single setting that is best for "EVERYTHING". You have given no indication what your source files are as far as codecs, dimensions, frame rates or durations.

It's probably useful to try a number of different settings on some short samples to learn what you find acceptable. Then please post back here with more specific questions.

Good luck.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by smrpix View Post
    There is no single setting that is best for "EVERYTHING". You have given no indication what your source files are as far as codecs, dimensions, frame rates or durations.

It's probably useful to try a number of different settings on some short samples to learn what you find acceptable. Then please post back here with more specific questions.

Good luck.

Could you give me some hints into how I get these specifications?

My home video's are all .AVI shot on a camcorder and digital camera

The rest of my collection is .MKV and are ripped movies/blue-rays
    Quote Quote  
  4. There's a useful tool called Mediainfo.
    https://www.videohelp.com/tools/MediaInfo

1. Download and install MediaInfo
    2. Be sure to decline any other software it offers to install
    3. Use it to open your file
    4. Set the view to "tree"
    5. File/Export to a text file
    6. Post your text file here.

Unfortunately, "AVI" and "MKV" can mean many, many things. They're about the most generic container names out there and both are capable of handling many types of video and audio codecs within them.
    Last edited by smrpix; 12th Feb 2014 at 09:42.
    Quote Quote  
  5. You might want to try:

http://www.pazera-software.com/products/mp4-converter/

It's a free converter but very good. Just set your video codec to 'H.264/MPEG-4 AVC' and the audio codec to 'Auto'
    Set the audio bitrate you want and the number of channels, and leave all the other settings on 'Auto' too.
    It will work out the best quality and settings for you. Do one conversion, see what you think (and test it plays).
    If you don't like come back and someone here will educate you on how to do it the hard way.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    @ Transporterfar and smrpix

I've downloaded both programs you've suggested and for my .avi files the pazera converter works great and is doing exactly what I hoped for. For my .MKV files I learned about how to switch containers without changing anything and its working great.

Thanks for replying!
    Quote Quote