VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2
Thread
  1. IMHO bitrate would not be a problem in case of DASH which offers adaptive bitrate segmented streaming, only matter is it requires powerful hardware and strong software support.

just last experiment before I go...
    ffmpeg -i "test_handbrake.mp4" -f mp4 -video copy -audio copy "test_ffmpeg_remuxed.mp4"
    above is just demo, make sure you use proper commands for format (-f) and for video and audio copy.

as you said...
    but always a little freeze which cut a little the video at the first play. I tried some other profils and other options, but nothing better than this profile.
    sometimes it is muxer...

Alternatively, mp4box commandlines in 3 steps.

mp4box -add nokia-n8.h264:fps=29.970:lang=fre -new temp.mp4
    mp4box -add temp.mp4 -add nokia-n8.aac -new final.mp4
    mp4box -hint final.mp4

If video is not unique, search on Internet probably you will get it better and working.
    I am still figuring out whom to shame or whom to blame?
    Last edited by enim; 11th Feb 2014 at 22:59.
    Quote Quote  
  2. "pixels" is SD 640x480 and 600kb/s

Download "butterfly" from the demo page which you said videos played fine (it's 1280x720p23.976, 2500kb/s) . Upload it to your page and test it. (Warning NSFW: there is nudity...but you guys are pretty liberal in France )

It has about the same bitrate as your handbrake test, but slower FPS (23.976 vs. 30)

IF it plays similar to your handbrake test - you have your answer , it's probably a bitrate or dimensions issue

IF it plays smoother than your handbrake test , then we have examine it some more

Note - all the videos on the demo page use the "vimeo encoder" (flagged in the metadata)

Originally Posted by enim View Post

ffmpeg -i "test_handbrake.mp4" -f mp4 -video copy -audio copy "test_ffmpeg_remuxed.mp4"
    above is just demo, make sure you use proper commands for format (-f) and for video and audio copy.

for ffmpeg, make sure you use -movflags faststart, or moov won't be placed before mdat
    Last edited by poisondeathray; 11th Feb 2014 at 14:32.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by Kivlov View Post
    what is the streaming standards bitrate ??
    depends who you stream for ...
    for example, if it suppose to be somebody with Pentium4, then you'd need to go with no CABAC, baseline , size definitely less or even (top) then 640x360, bitrate 1000kbps.

Other step is enabled CABAC, Main Profile ,couple of reference frames , SD resolution, bitrate about 1000 or higher.

Then you go higher with settings even 1280x720 resolution, bitrate 3000, but even that is too much for some computers or server providers, as you perhaps already found out.

That is why there is for streaming always couple of streams available, Low Quality and High Quality, because sometimes for whatever reason :
    -client computer,
    -your server or internet provider has some sort of bitrate throttle going on,
    -clients download capability could be less than 3000kbps sometimes, people have different plans and providers

Client simply sometimes cannot make High Quality stream to work. If you decide with HQ stream only, there will be someone who will not make it reliably work. If you make LQ stream only, there will be simply low quality stream available only. If your service (whatever you use) offers only one stream, you have to decide.

But first! you have to find out what maximum bitrate is your server provider capable to stream. That is perhaps what you do right now. Hopefully it does not mix up with your download capabilities. And understand it depends sometimes on time in a day when you are testing it. You will test things Saturday evening you might get some throttle going on in every direction.
    Last edited by _Al_; 11th Feb 2014 at 14:49.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    thank you for all your answers !

I didn't manage to do this.

as you said...
    "but always a little freeze which cut a little the video at the first play. I tried some other profils and other options, but nothing better than this profile."
    sometimes it is muxer...

Alternatively, mp4box commandlines in 3 steps.

mp4box -add nokia-n8.h264:fps=29.970:lang=fre -new temp.mp4
    mp4box -add temp.mp4 -add nokia-n8.aac -new final.mp4
    mp4box -hint final.mp4
    I tried this, it didn't change anything. the muxer may not be the problem.

Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    "pixels" is SD 640x480 and 600kb/s

Download "butterfly" from the demo page which you said videos played fine (it's 1280x720p23.976, 2500kb/s) . Upload it to your page and test it. (Warning NSFW: there is nudity...but you guys are pretty liberal in France )

It has about the same bitrate as your handbrake test, but slower FPS (23.976 vs. 30)

IF it plays similar to your handbrake test - you have your answer , it's probably a bitrate or dimensions issue

IF it plays smoother than your handbrake test , then we have examine it some more
    you are right ! as I'm pretty liberal (), so I downloaded then uploaded this video on my test gallery : it works, same as the Imagevue video demo. can see here : http://www.oxydium.com/test/.

but you pointed out something very interesting ! this Butterfly video on Imagevue demo gallery has a little freeze at the beginning, ~ 1 second ! and on my test gallery, same result.

you said that vimeo encoder were used, so I looked for this video and found it on Vimeo, here : http://vimeo.com/39785809 (NSFW, nudity -soft-). and it works perfectly with Vimeo player.

the freeze is longer with my test_handbrake video, so there is a difference. FPS only ? or encoding ?

I'm uploading the video test_original on Vimeo, I'm waiting the HD convert. I'll download it and try on my test gallery.

Originally Posted by _Al_ View Post
    [...]
    My videos are private, only my family should watch them. and I know their hardware, all of them own some of my computers they can watch HD on Youtube or Vimeo, I think they can watch my videos too
    pwet.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Kivlov View Post
    I'm uploading the video test_original on Vimeo, I'm waiting the HD convert. I'll download it and try on my test gallery.
    aaand...

what I have done :

- uploaded the test_original.mp4 on Vimeo (original from Nokia N8 without any changes)
    - here is the link : https://vimeo.com/86498172, it works very good
    - Vimeo convert into 2 files : 1 HD (12MB) and 1 SD (3MB), so the HD one looks like my test_handbrake.mp4 video
    - I downloaded the HD file and uploaded it on my test gallery
    - the result is here : http://www.oxydium.com/test/#/demo/, test_vimeo.mp4

surprise : the video freeze at the beginning, exactly the same as my test_handbrake.mp4 file...

if I understand, the problem should be the player...
    Last edited by Kivlov; 12th Feb 2014 at 05:59.
    pwet.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by Kivlov View Post

My videos are private, only my family should watch them. and I know their hardware, all of them own some of my computers they can watch HD on Youtube or Vimeo, I think they can watch my videos too

You can password protect your private videos on vimeo. Or did you need something more secure ?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I need, I'm fighting against social networks and uncontroled share of privacy
    pwet.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by Kivlov View Post
    Originally Posted by Kivlov View Post
    I need, I'm fighting against social networks and uncontrolled share of privacy
    Get Synology or other NAS, or something else that allows you to have either streamer or ftp or they can have access to your cloud on that NAS. You can get some latest decent router, then hook up external HDD through USB to that router and have ftp or cloud also. Limit downloads per bandwidth or something so they will not overwhelm your bandwidth limits.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    already have a Syno, but for security reasons (), it isn't reachable from the internet. and I don't want to
    pwet.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Well, there is no way out of this, if your video is out there on somebody else's server you have to think of it like anybody can get to it. Private or not private.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    my gallery is private : a password protect it. it's not a perfect security, that's why those pics and videos aren't sensitives datas (I hope it is the righ word), that's only about my baby. but, those medias are private and I want to keep the control : my domain, my hoster, my gallery, my pics and videos. I don't want to use social networks, videos sharing platforms, etc, where I can't control anything, don't know where are my datas, and give my son entirely to Google... so my own solution has only one goal : keep my datas where they are, and share with who I want to. that's all I need

edit : I uploaded an old video of my dog, taken with the Nokia N8 too, but downloaded from Youtube. named test_yt. a little freeze at the beginning, but that's the best I have at the moment.

with handbrake, can I encode like YT my own videos ? or must I upload them to YT, then downloading them ?

here is the mediainfo for the video from YT :

Code:
    General
    Complete name                            : C:\Documents and Settings\Thomas\Mes documents\Téléchargements\test_yt.mp4
    Format                                   : MPEG-4
    Format profile                           : Base Media / Version 2
    Codec ID                                 : mp42
    File size                                : 25.7 MiB
    Duration                                 : 1mn 11s
    Overall bit rate mode                    : Variable
    Overall bit rate                         : 3 002 Kbps
    Encoded date                             : UTC 2013-12-26 17:55:38
    Tagged date                              : UTC 2013-12-26 17:55:38
    gsst                                     : 0
    gstd                                     : 71888
    gssd                                     : B4A7DDA63MH1392218294455519
    gshh                                     : r3---sn-4g57kuez.c.youtube.com

Video
    ID                                       : 1
    Format                                   : AVC
    Format/Info                              : Advanced Video Codec
    Format profile                           : High@L3.1
    Format settings, CABAC                   : Yes
    Format settings, ReFrames                : 1 frame
    Format settings, GOP                     : M=1, N=60
    Codec ID                                 : avc1
    Codec ID/Info                            : Advanced Video Coding
    Bit rate                                 : 2 808 Kbps
    Maximum bit rate                         : 4 228 Kbps
    Width                                    : 1 280 pixels
    Height                                   : 720 pixels
    Display aspect ratio                     : 16:9
    Frame rate mode                          : Constant
    Frame rate                               : 30.000 fps
    Color space                              : YUV
    Chroma subsampling                       : 4:2:0
    Bit depth                                : 8 bits
    Scan type                                : Progressive
    Bits/(Pixel*Frame)                       : 0.102
    Stream size                              : 24.0 MiB (94%)
    Tagged date                              : UTC 2013-12-26 17:55:39

Audio
    ID                                       : 2
    Format                                   : AAC
    Format/Info                              : Advanced Audio Codec
    Format profile                           : LC
    Codec ID                                 : 40
    Bit rate mode                            : Variable
    Bit rate                                 : 192 Kbps
    Maximum bit rate                         : 201 Kbps
    Channel(s)                               : 2 channels
    Channel positions                        : Front: L R
    Sampling rate                            : 44.1 KHz
    Compression mode                         : Lossy
    Stream size                              : 1.64 MiB (6%)
    Title                                    : IsoMedia File Produced by Google, 5-11-2011
    Encoded date                             : UTC 2013-12-26 17:55:39
    Tagged date                              : UTC 2013-12-26 17:55:39
    thank you
    Last edited by Kivlov; 12th Feb 2014 at 09:42.
    pwet.
    Quote Quote  
  12. What are you trying to find out now? Are you trying to encode right bitrate, or are you trying to get right settings for handbrake?
    This has nothing to do with YouTube settings, except that those settings are easy.

There is nothing much you can do only to make sure decoding is quite easy, you just: encode Main@3.1, 2 or 3 reference frames (can you control that in Handbrake?) , resize to 960x544 or more exactly to 960x540 (but 540 is only mod4), because resolution 1280x720 and 3000kbps bitrate seems to be not enough so strategically you have to sometimes go down with resolution to get overall better result anyway, if you have lots of banding or some blockiness, but baby pictures tend to be still so you might get away with 1280x720 and 3000kbps

if this setting is still jerky, there is nothing much you can do, lower resolution, bandwith etc...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    ok thank you, I'll try this
    pwet.
    Quote Quote  
  14. I think his only problem is the "Freeze at the beginning" - can you describe exactly what you mean more clearly ?

Is it a delay before playing ? Or is it choppy playback ? Or something else ?

If it's delay before playing - that's more related to bandwidth issues . On the server side, there should also be settings for cache fill or player delay (you can set a variable delay length to fill the buffer) . e.g. vimeo player might have set a low delay (so it starts faster); they also probably have larger bandwidth to keep the buffer full (or even video completely downloaded faster) . But if you reduce the inital buffer fill delay, that predisposes your to stuttering later in the video depending on the bandwidth, network connection conditions etc... because the buffer will be not as full

Reducing the bitrate is along the same bandwidth theme (at a given bandwidth, the lower bitrate video will see the cache fill faster)

None of these videos use VBV settings, but on the encoding side, you can set --vbv-init which controls how full the buffer is before playback starts. Default is 0.9 so 90% fill before playback starts. (But that doesn't explain what you're seeing because none of these videos in your examples use VBV controls)
    Last edited by poisondeathray; 12th Feb 2014 at 10:30.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    that's difficult for me to explain in english... so I'll try with some screenshots

the video is here : http://www.oxydium.com/test/#/demo/, named "test_handbrake". only the first play has problems (with loading), when the video is fully loaded, there isn't any problem anymore...

so, click on the video, popup (lightbox) appears, then click "Play" button :

this is normal

next :

this isn't normal

this isn't normal either

this isn't normal either either

and I'm looking for a solution which works
    pwet.
    Quote Quote  
  16. I tested all videos http://www.oxydium.com/test/#/demo/ from butterfly video all the way to handbrake test and it works just fine, it does not freeze, jit just buffers a second or so at the beginning,
    Quote Quote  
  17. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    It's a bit random here. Sometimes it freezes at the beginning and sometimes it starts directly. Maybe because it has been cached or something.

(i'm using chrome and it has it own flash player)
    Last edited by Baldrick; 12th Feb 2014 at 12:25.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post
    It's a bit random here.
    mmm, not really. I tried with 4 computers, 3 OS (Win7, WinXP, Linux Mint 14), 5 browsers (Firefox, IE 11, IE8, Chrome, Safari), 2 places (home and office, not the same provider), and everytime I see what I screenshoted on this test_handbrake.mp4 video.

my webhoster is in France, the datacenter too so the IP is french. I should have the best transfert rate.

but when the video has already loaded, there is absolutly no problem. only at the first play...
    pwet.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Kivlov,
    Somewhere down the road here, you said that it is a player issue.
    It can be! Have you tried using different flash-player skin? You can find some good -n- free flash player skin on internet as well. Or you can make simple one, it is easy.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    yes, I tried. with test_handbrake.mp4 (android tablet profile) :

- with JW Player : video and audio not synchronised at the first play
    - with Html5media : pretty good but I can't embed
    - with Flowplayer (SWF) : pretty good (same player as Html5media), think I have the bests results with this one (add 1 second to the video, don't know why)

with other players (Flowplayer HTML5, Sublime, etc), very much lags, unusable.

I think the size of the player make the difference too, with hardware client side. maybe that's why JW Player lag a little.
    pwet.
    Quote Quote