VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Adores VHS-C
    Search PM
    I think I may be missing something.

I'm looking to capture segments of various tapes in Lagarith. I was planning to purchase an ADVC-100 or -110, but from further reading it looks like those were designed to capture DV-AVI. I may or may not be understanding this right, but do the ADVC boxes do some sort of hardware encoding? Would that stop me from doing straight Lagarith lossless encoding in software? and if so, is there a device I could purchase that would not interfere with the encoding of a captured file?

I'm sorry - I'm very new to this and quite confused.

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by analogvideoartist View Post
    do the ADVC boxes do some sort of hardware encoding?
    Yes, the compress with a DV codec.

Originally Posted by analogvideoartist View Post
    Would that stop me from doing straight Lagarith lossless encoding in software?
    Yes. You would be decompressing the DV then compessing with Lagarith.

Originally Posted by analogvideoartist View Post
    and if so, is there a device I could purchase that would not interfere with the encoding of a captured file?
    There are many devices that can capture to raw YUV 4:2:2 video suitable for Lagarith. The problem is the best ones are no longer made. And you often have to run XP to use the fully. An example would be the ATI TV Wonder 600.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    To clarify, the USB version of the ATI TV Wonder HD 600 is a good capture device. The internal ATI TV Wonder HD 600 devices, which use different chips, are less desirable. Their automatic gain control goes crazy sometimes.
    Quote Quote  
  4. The ATI 650 and 750 also suffer from AGC problems and should be avoided. Hauppauge still has a few raw YUV 4:2:2 devices.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Adores VHS-C
    Search PM
    All right, thanks for the responses. I don't have a spare machine to run XP on, so I'd be looking for something compatible with Win7, Win8 or OSX. Is there anything like that out there? Or could an older card be modified/hacked somehow to be compatible with a newer system?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The ATI 600 USB works fine with Windows 7 at least. Also the ezcap.tv stick works well and has current and on-going driver support. Some feel that the ATI stick is better, but having both, I don't really see much if any difference between the captures, so chances are either one would suit you fine.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    The ATI 650 and 750 also suffer from AGC problems and should be avoided. Hauppauge still has a few raw YUV 4:2:2 devices.
    Also there new generation devices like those made by Black Magic (probably many similar solutions also is on market from different vendors), capable to do HD capture but they work fine also with SD.
    http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/intensity
    http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/decklink
    http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/miniconverters
    Quote Quote  
  8. The Blackmagic devices have problems with VHS -- they may stop recording when there time base errors.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    The Blackmagic devices have problems with VHS -- they may stop recording when there time base errors.
    Anyway almost everywhere TBC is recommended or advised thus...
    Quote Quote  
  10. Yes, so you spend US$400 to get a BMIP and TBC to get mediocre VHS capture.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Yes, so you spend US$400 to get a BMIP and TBC to get mediocre VHS capture.
    Yep, i agree - i was wrong - sorry for that - i didn't realize that we talking about capturing corrupted(mediocre) VHS tapes.
    Quote Quote