VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 12 of 12
Thread
  1. Member
    Join Date: Feb 2014
    Location: Land Down Under
    Search Comp PM
    hi guys ..

    i am a newbie here , altho have a broad experience in creating , burning ,legally copying, camvideos and movies ...

    am now trying to come to grips with the implications of hd cam video files ,and trying to play them on my tv ...

    have searched thru heaps of posts ,and there is a lot of info which has been very helpful and clarified a number of issues for me ... however , could you help me on this :

    1. i have an mp4 file 1920 x 1080 H264 AVC from a hd vidcam
    2. i have an M2TS avchd H264 VC file 1440 x 1080 from a hd vidcam
    3. i have an avchd file H264 1440 x 1080 sample downloaded from the Net
    4 . i have a " normal" standalone dvd player , ie not BluRay
    5 . i have a CRT tv PAL format { will play ntsc } about 5 years old
    6. i have Power Director 10
    7. i have standard ,and DL , dvd disks.

    can i create a dvd , which has better resolution than the 720 x 576 PAL , which will play on my dvd/tv ?

    if i burn a dvd with hd avch or mp4 resolution onto a standard dvd , must it be played on a BluRay player ?

    your collective expert help will be appreciated ...
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member yoda313's Avatar
    Join Date: Jun 2004
    Location: The Animus
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by gaffer
    must it be played on a BluRay player ?
    No. But it won't be able to be played on a regular dvd player either. So far as I know no dvd player will play high def h264 files.

    But instead of a bluray player you can use a media settop player like a wdtv.

    Originally Posted by gaffer
    can i create a dvd , which has better resolution than the 720 x 576 PAL
    No. It won't be a dvd if the resolution is higher than standard def.

    You can use avstodvd to make a playable dvd from your high def file. It won't look like the original because you are downconverting from high def to standard def. But it will still look ok depending on how long it is. Choose dl to maximize the bitrate available. And if its longer than say two hours you'll probably want to split it among multiple dl discs to maximize the bitrate per disc.

    Other than that you need to get a high def media player that can play high def h264 files.

    You could consider a first gen wdtv model as those have analog outputs. You will have to be careful about which media players you look at if you don't have a hdmi input on your tv.

    A playstation 3 or xbox 360 is also a possibility. But you'll have to be careful with the h264 profile and it must be in a mp4 file as they won't read mkv files. Also neither read ntfs usb drives. Neither are very flexible on every type of h264 you might have so it might have to be reencoded to play on them.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Join Date: Jan 2004
    Location: UK
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by yoda313 View Post

    You could consider a first gen wdtv model as those have analog outputs. You will have to be careful about which media players you look at if you don't have a hdmi input on your tv.
    The current version of the WDTV (the WDTV LIVE ) still has an analogue (composite) output, as well as HDMI...
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member dragonkeeper's Avatar
    Join Date: Jul 2003
    Location: United States
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by gaffer View Post
    can i create a dvd , which has better resolution than the 720 x 576 PAL , which will play on my dvd/tv ?
    No, not a higher resolution but it possible to create a disk that has better picture and audio quality than most store bought DVDs.
    Originally Posted by gaffer View Post
    if i burn a dvd with hd avch or mp4 resolution onto a standard dvd , must it be played on a BluRay player ?
    A BD-5 or DB-9 as they are typically called to the best of my knowledge will only play on a BD player or a computer. But the file it self can be played on many types devices i.e, (computer, tablet, media player, smart phones) the list goes on.
    Murphy's law taught me everything I know.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Join Date: Feb 2014
    Location: Land Down Under
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by dragonkeeper View Post
    Originally Posted by gaffer View Post
    can i create a dvd , which has better resolution than the 720 x 576 PAL , which will play on my dvd/tv ?
    No, not a higher resolution but it possible to create a disk that has better picture and audio quality than most store bought DVDs.
    .
    thanks for your response , dragonkeeper ... would you mind posting a few more details on how to do it better ?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Join Date: Feb 2014
    Location: Land Down Under
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by pippas View Post
    Originally Posted by yoda313 View Post

    You could consider a first gen wdtv model as those have analog outputs. You will have to be careful about which media players you look at if you don't have a hdmi input on your tv.
    The current version of the WDTV (the WDTV LIVE ) still has an analogue (composite) output, as well as HDMI...
    thanks for your response , pippas
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Join Date: Feb 2014
    Location: Land Down Under
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by yoda313 View Post
    Originally Posted by gaffer
    must it be played on a BluRay player ?
    No. But it won't be able to be played on a regular dvd player either. So far as I know no dvd player will play high def h264 files.

    But instead of a bluray player you can use a media settop player like a wdtv.

    Originally Posted by gaffer
    can i create a dvd , which has better resolution than the 720 x 576 PAL
    No. It won't be a dvd if the resolution is higher than standard def.

    You can use avstodvd to make a playable dvd from your high def file. It won't look like the original because you are downconverting from high def to standard def. But it will still look ok depending on how long it is. Choose dl to maximize the bitrate available. And if its longer than say two hours you'll probably want to split it among multiple dl discs to maximize the bitrate per disc.

    Other than that you need to get a high def media player that can play high def h264 files.

    You could consider a first gen wdtv model as those have analog outputs. You will have to be careful about which media players you look at if you don't have a hdmi input on your tv.

    A playstation 3 or xbox 360 is also a possibility. But you'll have to be careful with the h264 profile and it must be in a mp4 file as they won't read mkv files. Also neither read ntfs usb drives. Neither are very flexible on every type of h264 you might have so it might have to be reencoded to play on them.
    thanks, yoda313 for your reply and the options details ....

    will think it thru ,and get back to you...
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Join Date: Feb 2014
    Location: Land Down Under
    Search Comp PM
    g'day yoda313 ,

    had a look at avstodvd , looks interesting , but i am already using ConvertXtodvd , and have just come across a "new" VSO program DVD Converter which has many more file output type options .... ? do you know it ?

    anyway ... ?? have i got it right that these can only be played on a pc or settop , eg. wdtv :
    1. mp4
    2, M2FS avchd
    3. H264

    if so ,does that mean all those who have a hd vidcam ,and want to watch on a tv , in hd, can't do so without a settop?
    and if they want to share on a dvd then it must be at standard definition ?
    does this mean that the hd vidcam hardware outstrips the ability of conventional home viewing equipment ?

    is there much difference in display on screen ,between standard and hd vidcam display , after converting to dvd ?

    hope these are not too many questions ......

    thanks again ...
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Join Date: Jun 2012
    Location: USA
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by gaffer View Post
    anyway ... ?? have i got it right that these can only be played on a pc or settop , eg. wdtv :
    1. mp4
    2, M2FS avchd
    3. H264
    Certain configurations of avchd and h.264 can be authored and played on Blu Ray.

    Originally Posted by gaffer View Post
    if so ,does that mean all those who have a hd vidcam ,and want to watch on a tv , in hd, can't do so without a settop?
    and if they want to share on a dvd then it must be at standard definition ?
    DVD is always standard definition. Many people have Blu Ray players.

    Originally Posted by gaffer View Post
    does this mean that the hd vidcam hardware outstrips the ability of conventional home viewing equipment ?
    Define conventional.

    Originally Posted by gaffer View Post
    is there much difference in display on screen ,between standard and hd vidcam display , after converting to dvd ?
    HD originated sources usually look better after conversion, but there's a wide variety of cameras and conversion tools.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Join Date: Jan 2014
    Location: Kazakhstan
    Search Comp PM
    Hi!
    Necessary still consider the maximum bit rate (and stick to select the optimum settings for save sharpness)
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Join Date: Feb 2014
    Location: Land Down Under
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by smrpix View Post
    Originally Posted by gaffer View Post
    anyway ... ?? have i got it right that these can only be played on a pc or settop , eg. wdtv :
    1. mp4
    2, M2FS avchd
    3. H264
    Certain configurations of avchd and h.264 can be authored and played on Blu Ray.
    yes , i had understood that ,but my query is about running the camvids on standard player ..

    Originally Posted by gaffer View Post
    if so ,does that mean all those who have a hd vidcam ,and want to watch on a tv , in hd, can't do so without a settop?
    and if they want to share on a dvd then it must be at standard definition ?
    DVD is always standard definition. Many people have Blu Ray players.
    maybe many in your location , but not so Down Under , majority of standalone and inbuilt players here are not Blu Ray ,and certainly not so a few years back when hd vidcam became available ... actually , Blu Ray is something i wonder whether it can survive commercially ...

    Originally Posted by gaffer View Post
    does this mean that the hd vidcam hardware outstrips the ability of conventional home viewing equipment ?
    Define conventional.
    dvd players, standalone , and inbuilt to tv's ..

    Originally Posted by gaffer View Post
    is there much difference in display on screen ,between standard and hd vidcam display , after converting to dvd ?
    HD originated sources usually look better after conversion, but there's a wide variety of cameras and conversion tools.
    many thanks for your input ....

    i suppose all my questions boil down to one basic query ... which is ,
    given a hd vidcam clip on an sd card , what is the best way to maximise the viewing quality of that file when played on a dvd in a standard dvd player ,and what would be the resolution of that file.... or is it not going to be much sharper than just converting it to a file type supported by a standard dvd player , such as avi , tsvideo , and so on ....

    thanks
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Join Date: Feb 2014
    Location: Land Down Under
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by yoda313 View Post
    Originally Posted by gaffer
    must it be played on a BluRay player ?
    No. But it won't be able to be played on a regular dvd player either. So far as I know no dvd player will play high def h264 files.

    But instead of a bluray player you can use a media settop player like a wdtv.

    Originally Posted by gaffer
    can i create a dvd , which has better resolution than the 720 x 576 PAL
    No. It won't be a dvd if the resolution is higher than standard def.

    You can use avstodvd to make a playable dvd from your high def file. It won't look like the original because you are downconverting from high def to standard def. But it will still look ok depending on how long it is. Choose dl to maximize the bitrate available. And if its longer than say two hours you'll probably want to split it among multiple dl discs to maximize the bitrate per disc.

    Other than that you need to get a high def media player that can play high def h264 files.

    You could consider a first gen wdtv model as those have analog outputs. You will have to be careful about which media players you look at if you don't have a hdmi input on your tv.

    A playstation 3 or xbox 360 is also a possibility. But you'll have to be careful with the h264 profile and it must be in a mp4 file as they won't read mkv files. Also neither read ntfs usb drives. Neither are very flexible on every type of h264 you might have so it might have to be reencoded to play on them.
    thanks very much for your help and advice , yoda313
    Quote Quote  



Similar Threads