VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,

I've used AnyDVD-HD to rip a few blu-rays to ISOs.
    I've mounted the ISOs (Windows 8.1 built-in mounter) and am now converting the movies to MP4s.

But handbrake is taking a very long time, and the output sizes are slightly larger than I'd like. My PC's got an i7-3770k with 8GB 1600Mhz RAM, so I'm guessing it's not under-specced for the task

I'm using v0.99.5530 (64-bit). My settings are pretty much unchanged from the "High Profile" preset, besides changing the audio source from "DTS" to "DTS-HD".

I've also tried the normal preset, but it's only marginally faster.

The particular movie I'm trying at the moment is called "A Hijacking".

It took over, 240 seconds to encode the 240 seconds preview, but that's taking into account the intro/credit screens at the beginning, so it'll probably be even slower for the bulk of the movie.
    Depending on which profile I use, the output size for this 240 seconds varies from 200mb-600mb. The latter, at least for me, is definitely too large.

Say the movie is 2 hours long, and the output is 3.5GB, that's roughly 30mb per minute, which would be 120mb for 4 minutes.

I've tried taking the CRF down to 25, but that doesn't help much in terms of encode time, and only achieves the 200mb mentioned above for file size.
    I've also changed the "x264 preset" to slow and very slow, which doesn't have a massive effect on file size but does take even longer. The only filter enabled is Decomb which is set to "default".

What am I doing wrong, or is this just how it is for blu-rays?
    The outputs also slightly grainy, so I'm going to try enabling denoise.
    In an ideal world, I'd like 1080p 3-4GB files, that take <5hrs to encode. Many thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi! Emphasis on the flash drive. What is not satisfied with 2-pass mode?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Reading your message appears you are ripping them and converting them at the same time. That will take a very long time. Your better off ripping the disc to your hard drive first, then try the conversion again. That should speed things up a fair bit

It shouldn't take 4 minutes for a preview, but if you are directly ripping from the disc instead of ripping it to your hard drive first then it will take much much longer to do anything, especially with an i7
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Reading your message appears you are ripping them and converting them at the same time. That will take a very long time. Your better off ripping the disc to your hard drive first, then try the conversion again. That should speed things up a fair bit

It shouldn't take 4 minutes for a preview, but if you are directly ripping from the disc instead of ripping it to your hard drive first then it will take much much longer to do anything, especially with an i7
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Rip the disk to your hard drive,no ISO,then use BDrebuilder to convert to MP4 or MKV.
    Quote Quote