VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2
Thread
  1. I agree that Type2 is generally more compatible. But most important is what's compatible with the software you will be using.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Thank you very much for your input. I have already transferred half of my hi8 collection. I am looking to capture my VHS tapes as well. If you can give me some advice on that process, I'd definitely appreciate it. The thread is accessible here: https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/362914-Capturing-VHS?p=2306935#post2306935
    Quote Quote  
  3. I think your D8 camcorder has the ability to digitize your VHS tapes and pass them to your computer via firewire.
    Quote Quote  
  4. i tried using scenalyzer to split portions of the captured video clips, but it ends up modifying the singular captured video file that was 25 gigs. I don't want to modify the original 25 gig file, I want to split portions of that file to make a smaller file (to share with family.) Is there anything that's more user friendly to do this? I ended up using windows movie maker to get it done quickly but should I be using something else to achieve this purpose?
    Quote Quote  
  5. VirtualDub in Direct Stream Copy mode will allow you to mark clips and save them as separate files without reencoding. With DV AVI you will have frame accurate cuts. The original video will not be changed.

1) File -> Open Video File
    2) Video -> Direct Stream Copy (Direct Stream Copy is the default for audio, but check it to be sure)
    3) Mark-in, mark-out
    4) File -> Save as AVI

Repeat steps 3 and 4 for all clips.
    Last edited by jagabo; 30th Jun 2014 at 10:09.
    Quote Quote  
  6. thank you jagabo. By the way, you need to click on file--> save as avi, instead of video-->save as avi
    Quote Quote  
  7. any easy way to get rid of interlacing issues like this: http://neuron2.net/LVG/inthead.jpg
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by buyabook View Post
    thank you jagabo. By the way, you need to click on file--> save as avi, instead of video-->save as avi
    Oh, yes. Sorry. I'll fix the post in case anyone else needs it.

Originally Posted by buyabook View Post
    any easy way to get rid of interlacing issues like this: http://neuron2.net/LVG/inthead.jpg
    Are you asking for a way to deinterlace the video? In general you don't want to do that. If you're making DVDs interlaced video is fully supported by DVD players and TVs. If you really need to deinterlace, for upload to youtube or a quick video to email to you grandmother, you can use VirtualDub's built in deinterlace filter. There are several third party deinterlacers available for VirtualDub too. The best deinterlacer is QTGMC() in AviSynth. No matter how you deinterlace, you'll have to re-encode the video.
    Last edited by jagabo; 30th Jun 2014 at 10:14.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Hello,

I am revisiting this project to complete it. I have captured all my Hi8 tapes to DV AVI. I can't remember but I think I captured it to type 2 DV-AVI. I don't want to burn any dvds for these captures. I just want to be able to play these videos on my Samsung UN65H6350 smart TV via a wireless network connection. I am already able to play divx/XVID movie files through the wireless network by navigating through the TV's explorer and clicking on the video file. Can anyone recommend what the next step would be to play these files on my Samsung Smart TV?
    Quote Quote  
  10. Your TV can probably play h.264 video in an MP4 container. I would start with a fairly simple program like Handbrake. Start with one of the presets that's likely to work. Maybe Apple3. Enable Bob deinterlacing on the Filters tab. On the video tab select Framerate 59.94, constant frame rate. The default settings for the rest should be ok.
    Quote Quote  
  11. According to my TV's manual (http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/content/UM/201506/20150604130719439/ENG-US_X14ATSCH-1.125-0526.pdf) , I can play mk4, MP4, MPEG 1,2,3,4 and many others. What format do most people convert to in order to play it on their smart tv's and how do they do it?
    Quote Quote  
  12. I personally prefer MKV. But MP4 with h.264 video and AAC audio is most widely supported on modern devices.
    Quote Quote  
  13. I followed the steps you provided but the videos are not appearing under the folder when I browse on my SMART TV (even though they exist on my desktop and I can play them on my PC.) I am going to try to convert the DV AVI file to an MKV file instead and see if I can play it on my smart TV but it's odd that the files do not appear while browsing on my TV considering that my manual says that MP4 (file extension and container) is supported with an H.264 video codec.

Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Your TV can probably play h.264 video in an MP4 container. I would start with a fairly simple program like Handbrake. Start with one of the presets that's likely to work. Maybe Apple3. Enable Bob deinterlacing on the Filters tab. On the video tab select Framerate 59.94, constant frame rate. The default settings for the rest should be ok.
    Quote Quote  
  14. The MKV file was missing from the folder list on the smart TV. I was able to play MP4 files on the TV that I have converted in the past with windows movie maker. THe files are not appearing underneath the folder list on my TV when I follow Jagabo's instructions when using Handbrake. I am able to see the original DV-AVI files but the MP4/MKV file names are not displaying on my TV when I browse through the appropriate folder.
    Quote Quote  
  15. i converted a file using the MPEG-2 video codec and the quality was very low compared to the H.264 video codec. Also, the file was missing from the TV's folder list.
    Last edited by buyabook; 25th Jul 2015 at 23:40.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Did Handbrake name the file M4V instead of MP4? If so, try renaming them to MP4 and see if the TV shows them.

MP4 is a container. It can contain audio and video encoded with a number of different codecs. So it's possible the TV doesn't support the h.264 codec. Though usually when that's the case the files show up in the browser, they just don't play. But as a test, try using MPEG 4 (ffmpeg) instead of h.264 as the codec in Handbrake.

Also, if you're using long file names with diacritical characters try using plain ASCII text and short file names. Like VIDEO.MP4.
    Quote Quote  
  17. The MP4 files work. In order to view these new files, I needed to add it to my windows media library and now they are showing up on my TV and I can play them. Thanks Jagabo.
    Last edited by buyabook; 26th Jul 2015 at 09:28.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Originally Posted by buyabook View Post
    The MP4 files work.
    You mean the M4V files with h.264 video you created with Handbrake? After renaming them with MP4? There is an option in Handbrake to force it to output MP4 instead of M4V.

Originally Posted by buyabook View Post
    In order to view these new files, I needed to add it to my windows media library and now they are showing up on my TV and I can play them. Thanks Jagabo.
    It sounds like you are using DLNA which is a whole other issue.
    Quote Quote  
  19. yes, the M4V files with h.264 video I created with Handbrake.
    Quote Quote  
  20. I didn't have to rename the m4V files to mp4.
    Quote Quote  
  21. I don't want to have to add each file/folder manually to my windows media player library everytime I create a new file. Do you know of a way to automatically update my windows media player library every time I create a new file?
    Quote Quote  
  22. If you put your files in your public shares WMP will automatically add it to the library when it starts up.
    Quote Quote  
  23. what does the fast decode check box do in handbrake's optimise video section underneath the video tab? Will it compromise quality/stability if I check this box?
    Quote Quote  
  24. The Fast Decode option disables some of x264's features. It's useful if you have devices that can't decode the video fast enough to keep up with the frame rate. With Bitrate based encoding it will give lower quality. With Rate Factor based encoding it will give larger files.
    Quote Quote