VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Hi,
    I have a problem with *some* video files. I've been trying to watch some videos (tv shows) via MPC, and all I hear is the background music, can't hear what people say. I've tried to play it via BC. Player and it worked perfectly.
    Also weird is when I plug in the HDMI cable and watch it on the TV screen (and the sound is also from TV) I can hear it perfectly, even via MPC! --> I mean, the sound of talking is not working only from 5.1 speakers that connect directly to the PC, when I play it with MPC. Work OK from TV (HDMI) or when playing it via other media player.
    What to do?

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Check what filter is used by MPC, right click on screen when playing and scroll through menus... Check filter options.
    It may be that the AC3 filter is setup for something other than 5.1 channel audio. When changed to 5.1, it may work again.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Right click --> filters -->
    I see "Speakers (Realtek high definition)
    And some other option like: video rendered & audio switchers
    I don't see an option of changing anything. Just info.
    So I don't know what you mean...
    Quote Quote  
  4. You're not still using the original MPC are you?
    If you're using a later version of MPC-HC which uses LAV filters internally (and if not, you should update it):

MPC-HC: View/Options/Internal Filters and click on the Audio Decoder button. You can set the audio decoder to downmix to stereo in there.

If your sound card is set for stereo speakers you probably won't need to get MPC-HC to downmix the audio, although it won't matter if it does. Open the Realtek HD Audio Manager (or whatever it's called) from the icon in the system tray or Control Panel etc. Make sure it's set for stereo output and the speakers are connected to the correct one.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    Yes, I use MPC-HC. OK, I change something in Realtek HD Audio Manager. In some strange wired it works only if I turn off the "center" speaker... Why is it happening? It's weird because most of the videos are played perfectly! And also those files are played perfectly using other media player.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Sorry, I misread your original post I think. I thought you were using stereo PC speakers.

I don't know how your system is connected, but assuming it's the analogue outputs, if the Realtek sound card works the same way as mine, the centre and sub channels share a single output. They're connected by a stereo plug, but it's sub on one side and centre channel the other (instead of left and right as it'd normally be for a stereo signal). So..... my best guess now.....

You don't want to configure MPC-HC to mix down to stereo as I said previously, but you do want to set the soundcard to output 5.1ch (might be labelled as 6ch), and if you're not getting the speech in the centre channel, it's probably being sent to the sub. Hopefully you can tell the soundcard to swap the sub/centre channels and hopefully that'll fix it. Something like this:

Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	3650
Size:	54.4 KB
ID:	23545

Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	3436
Size:	51.5 KB
ID:	23544

I'm not sure why you're having the problem with MPC-HC and not with another player. I guess the other player could be set to downmix to stereo by default so it'd only be sending the soundcard stereo left and right which would work normally. Any stereo audio would probably also sound fine. It'd be just audio with a centre channel which doesn't sound right (and which the player isn't down-mixing to stereo).
    Either that or for some reason MPC-HC is sending the channels to the soundcard in a different order to the other player, although I'm not sure why it would.
    Last edited by hello_hello; 13th Feb 2014 at 06:07.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search PM
    GREATE! Thank you so much. I did switch the center and sub, and now it's played perfectly! thanks again.
    Quote Quote