VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Hi everyone thanks in advance for your input. Ok what i am looking to do it take all of my movies dvd and blu rays and copy them onto my computer and take all of the cases and put in storage. I will eventually make a computer to attach to my tv and just use that to play them but for now i just wanna get started copying them. I would like to know what is the best format to use i was thinking mp4 but not sure cause i am looking for the best quality i can get for the smallest size (quality a little more important then size). if at all possible i want to be able to plug my phone tablet or anything else drag move to it and it just play (android products). i was planning on buying the DVD fab program to do all of the work (unless someone can suggest something better) and probably the player to view them also the more info u can give me the better. i thank you and look forward to your replies.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    You need a decryption program first. I use AnyDVD HD, but there are some freeware choices such as DVDFab HD Decrypter.
    Once decrypted, several choices.

I use VidCoder for DVD to MKV conversions at about 2GB per DVD. I prefer H.264 for video and AC3 for audio. Easy to use and good results

For Blu-ray, I use RipBot. I convert those to MKV, AC3 also at about 8GB per BD. There are other programs if you have lots of hard drive space.

I like MKV as it's a very efficient codec and creates fairly small files.

But others may have other suggestions.

And welcome to our forums.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    thanks for the welcome.

i am kinda new to this what do u mean "I prefer H.264 for video and AC3 for audio" do i have to do them separate?
    what does the decrypter do?
    also i see dvd fab ripper http://www.dvdfab.com/dvd-ripper.htm seems to do H.264 and AC3 would that work also?
    Quote Quote