VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I shoot in manufacturing settings - sometimes dirty, tight, low-light situations. The tape cassette of my GL2 camcorder, which has served me well for ten years, is broken. Stuck on location, I purchased a Sony HDR-CX130. I also have a Canon 7D which is great for stills, but it seems to handle high-speed video applications poorly for me - often out of focus.

Any recommendations? Should I repair the Canon GL2 old prosumer model or just switch to the HD Sony?
    Quote Quote  
  2. The GL2 was a great camera in its day, but its day is long gone. That little Sony will give you sharper images, though the color won't be as vibrant and the manual controls aren't as ergonomically friendly.

If you can't get sharp images from the 7d you aren't using it correctly. (If you are trying to focus manually using the LCD screen it is literally impossible without an eyepiece -- this isn't an opinion, it's physics.) It takes a little practice, but this camera is used in features, documentaries and broadcast tv so it's definitely doable.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the response. I appreciate it. I'll practice on the 7D focusing - I was using auto though. Half of what I shot was out of focus. Are you speaking of the built in eye piece or an add-on?

Mostly I'm in a time crunch so I was using 7D for stills and shooting video with another camera.
    Quote Quote  
  4. You would need an add-on. Zacuto is the gold standard. When you shoot video with a DSLR the mirror is flipped up rendering the normal optical viewfinder useless.
    Quote Quote  
  5. the 7D shoots 1080 HD video and the GL2 shoots standard def video, bit like chalk & cheese.

time to get rid of the GL2 but i wouldnt be using the 7D for video, its not as good as many make it out to be.

also, did the 7D have a lens with auto focus switch on it, because it, along with almost all DSLR cameras dont have it built into the body because they are an interchangeable lens camera, and you can only get AF in selected lenses.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    the 7d like most dslr cams autofocus doesn't work while shooting. it will only stay at the focal point it was at when shooting started. that' s why there are follow focus dollies available, but using one is a learned art.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  7. as i mentioned, most DSLR cameras use interchangeable lenses, so they dont have auto focus system built into the camera, and if he wants to shoot video in auto focus mode like i do, you must use a lens that has an auto focus switch on it, then he is good to go, auto focus will work, and if he is shooting in hand held mode, it is highly advisable to also have a decent image stabilization system as well (olympus make bodies with built in image stabilization but they are mostly M4/3 camera's)

these are 2 reason why i hate DSLR cameras for shooting video, plus the other 2 reasons are because they are a bugga of a camera to hold with your hand, especially with a long heavy lens on it, and most DSLR type cameras dont have flip out/pivoting screens on them, so when you need to hold the camera in other positions other than in front of you, you cant see the screen very well.

only 3 canon cameras so far have a flip out/pivoting screen, and one is the 60D which my son uses.

my advice to you if all you need is a camera to shoot video, just buy another dedicated HD video camera (camcorder) that has a good image stabilization and auto focus systems built into the body, and ergonomically are much better to hold than any DSLR camera, unless you have a rig for it.

cheers
    Last edited by glenpinn; 7th Feb 2014 at 17:33.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by glenpinn View Post
    as i mentioned, most DSLR cameras use interchangeable lenses, so they dont have auto focus system built into the camera, and if he wants to shoot video in auto focus mode like i do, you must use a lens that has an auto focus switch on it, then he is good to go, auto focus will work, and if he is shooting in hand held mode, it is highly advisable to also have a decent image stabilization system as well (olympus make bodies with built in image stabilization but they are mostly M4/3 camera's)

these are 2 reason why i hate DSLR cameras for shooting video, plus the other 2 reasons are because they are a bugga of a camera to hold with your hand, especially with a long heavy lens on it, and most DSLR type cameras dont have flip out/pivoting screens on them, so when you need to hold the camera in other positions other than in front of you, you cant see the screen very well.

only 3 canon cameras so far have a flip out/pivoting screen, and one is the 60D which my son uses.

my advice to you if all you need is a camera to shoot video, just buy another dedicated HD video camera (camcorder) that has a good image stabilization and auto focus systems built into the body, and ergonomically are much better to hold than any DSLR camera, unless you have a rig for it.

cheers
    that's just wrong. auto-focus on a 7d DOES NOT work while video is being taken no matter what lens is attached to the camera. it does work up until you press the record button then it turns completely off. the same goes for that 60d of your sons.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    7D has "jello vision".
    GL2 does not.
    Be very aware of the sensor differences!!!
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote