VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I capture motorcycle racing using the Elgato Game Capture HD in 720p 60fps. The captured files are in mp4 format. My current process is to open the mp4 in Sony Vegas and write down all the start and end frames of the commercials. I then open the mp4 in Handbrake and cut each piece between the commercials and encode them to mp4s. Once they are all complete I merge them with Avidemux.

My old process was to cut out all the commercials using Sony Vegas and encode it to an uncompressed avi. Then take that and encode it to mp4 using Handbrake. My new process definitely looks better and is quicker. I am wondering if there is any alterative ways. I messed with avisynth a little bit but I could not get the audio to load. Even if I did I am not sure how to trim that too. I am not sure if that would up the quality or save time at all. Below are the settings I use. Any suggestions to improve. Obviously there is a lot of movement in the racing.

ref=6:bframes=4:b-adapt=2:direct=auto:me=umhubme=10:merange=32:analyse=all:trellis=2:lookahead :50
    Quote Quote  
  2. What parts of your workflow do you want to change or keep ?

Are you "married" to handbrake or willing to try other x264 GUI's or command line ?

For example, if you have edits other than cuts (e.g. transitions, overlays), you probably want to keep vegas

To load video&audio you can use FFMS2
    e.g
    Aud=FFAudioSource("video.mp4")
    Vid=FFVideoSource("video.mp4")
    AudioDub(vid,aud)

Or use FFMpegSource2() which is a wrapper function in the included .avsi

FFMpegSource2("video.mp4", atrack=-1)

It's easy to edit video (trims) in avspmod with the trim editor you mark in/out using the home/end keys . You can keep or delete marked sections

Another way to use vegas is with x264vfw to encode directly, or use debugmode frameserver to frameserve out of vegas to another program like ripbot, megui, staxrip etc...(ie. GUI's for x264) . Frameserving benefit is no large intermediate file. I don't think it works with handbrake.

For simple cuts, you can try editing it directly without re-encoding (thus no quality loss) with avidemux ,but it's not frame accurate, only GOP accurate . Or use smart editors like videoredo , tmpgenc smart renderer, solvegmm video splitter which are frame accurate
    Quote Quote  
  3. I tried you additional lines in staxrip and the audio is still not being included. Do you see anything I am missing?

LoadPlugin("C:\Users\user\Documents\StaxRip_1.1.9. 0\Applications\AviSynth plugins
    \ffms2\ffms2.dll")
    LoadCPlugin("C:\Users\user\Documents\StaxRip_1.1.9 .0\Applications\AviSynth plugins\Yadif
    \yadif.dll")
    Aud=FFAudioSource("C:\Users\lguser\Documents\Downl oads\Movie.mp4")
    Vid=FFVideoSource("C:\Users\lguser\Documents\Downl oads\Movie.mp4")
    AudioDub(vid,aud)
    AssumeFPS(23.976)
    Crop(0,0, -Width % 8,-Height % 8)
    ConvertToYV12()
    Yadif()
    Crop(0,4,-0,-4)
    BicubicResize(1280,720,0,0.5)
    Trim(0,500)++Trim(1000,1500)
    ConvertToYV12()
    Quote Quote  
  4. what does mediainfo view=>text say about the mp4 ? copy & paste the results here

If you take that script, add Info() to the end of the script, open it up in vdub or avspmod, does it report audio ? (there should be some info in the top left hand corner of the preview)

Alternatively you can use another source filter, like DirectShowSource("video.mp4"), but that's a last resort, because directshowsource can is prone to several issues
    Quote Quote  
  5. I copied the paths in again. I must have had a space or something. Now the audio is working in WMP and avspmod but is still not opening in staxrip.

LoadPlugin("C:\Users\user\Documents\StaxRip_1.1.9. 0\Applications\AviSynth plugins

\ffms2\ffms2.dll")
    LoadCPlugin("C:\Users\user\Documents\StaxRip_1.1.9 .0\Applications\AviSynth plugins\Yadif

\yadif.dll")
    Aud=FFAudioSource("C:\Users\user\Documents\Downloa ds\Movie.mp4")
    Vid=FFVideoSource("C:\Users\user\Documents\Downloa ds\Movie.mp4")
    AudioDub(vid,aud)
    AssumeFPS(23.976)
    ConvertToYV12()
    Yadif()
    Crop(0,4,-0,-4)
    BicubicResize(1280,720,0,0.5)
    Trim(0,500)++Trim(1000,1500)
    ConvertToYV12()
    Info()
    Quote Quote  
  6. I don't really use staxrip, does it have a separate audio section ? Some GUI's separate processing of audio & video . e.g. Megui does this. So if your script contains both audio & video, you can use the same script for both
    Quote Quote  
  7. Yes you are right the script needed to be loaded for the video and audio. Thank you very much. Now I just need to do a little research about cropping but that shouldn't be hard.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Why are you using yadif if you're capturing 720p60 ? => this will degrade the quality, yadif is a deinterlacer for interlaced material, but you have progressive material

Why AssumeFPS(23.976) ? => this will slow down the video with the same number of frames (everything just played slower)
    Quote Quote  
  9. Staxrip put those in the script when it initially helped me create it. I took them out and it is still working thanks.
    Quote Quote