VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have M4V video files that are not copy protected. The M4V video track is in H.264 codec with full HD (1080p) and the audio tracks are in AAC, 2-channel stereo and the second audio track is in AC-3, 6-channel surround. I want to re-mux, with no re-encoding, from M4V to WMV format, so that I can import the re-muxed WMV video file into Windows DVD Maker for DVD authoring/burning. I have tried "VirtualDub" and selected "Direct Stream Copy" for both of the audio/video streams, while selecting only the audio track that I wanted to have in the final output AVI file. When the process was done, I tried importing the AVI (from VirtualDub) into Windows DVD Maker. The DVD was burned successfully, however, when played back on a DVD player connected to a TV, there was no audio/sound. I think it may have to do with the AC-3 audio track. I then tried "Yamb" and output the video into MP4 container with AAC audio, but MP4 is not a supported format in Windows DVD Maker. Please help. I don't want to convert/re-encode since the original source file is already compressed and I don't want to re-compress again due to loss in quality.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Can't you just use another dvd maker? Avstodvd, convertxtodvd, freemake video converter.

Cause you can't put h264 in wmv...or maybe you can but I haven't seen any method for it.
    Quote Quote  
  3. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    Even though SolveigMM ASF Muxer can wrap H.264 video in a WMV file,
    I serious doubt Windows DVD Maker will accept that "animal" as a valid input.

And by converting to DVD-Video, you WILL lose some visual quality anyway,
    by means of both re-encoding to MPEG-2 and resizing to 720x480 or 720x576.
    Last edited by El Heggunte; 6th Feb 2014 at 14:23. Reason: typos, grrrrrrrrrrr
    Quote Quote  
  4. According to this:

http://windows-dvd-maker.com/

Windows DVD Maker can open and convert MP4. But do you really mean Windows Movie Maker?

Anyway, just let AvsToDVD have at it.

I don't want to convert/re-encode since the original source file is already compressed and I don't want to re-compress again due to loss in quality.
    fuhgeddaboutit. As El Heggunte says, if you're making a DVD you'll incur a massive quality loss.
    Quote Quote  
  5. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by manono View Post
    No, I think the op means http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_DVD_Maker
    Quote Quote  
  6. No, Manono, I don't mean Windows Movie Maker. Yes, Baldrick, that is exactly what I meant. I know that I have to re-encode for DVD.
    Quote Quote  
  7. If you're looking for best quality, follow baldrick's advice in post 2.

If you're determined to use that authoring software, try converting your audio stream to uncompressed in virtualdub rather than direct copy.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by smrpix View Post
    If you're looking for best quality, follow baldrick's advice in post 2.

If you're determined to use that authoring software, try converting your audio stream to uncompressed in virtualdub rather than direct copy.
    How do I do this in VirtualDub? Please give me step-by-step instructions. please. I have the latest version of VirtualDub, version 1.10.4
    Quote Quote  
  9. Audio/Full Processing Mode, then, Audio/Compression/no compression PCM
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by smrpix View Post
    Audio/Full Processing Mode, then, Audio/Compression/no compression PCM
    Thanks! I'll give it a try.
    Quote Quote