VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    In Blu-Ray that I am trying to encode into x264 via AviSynth there dark scenes have this really irritating griddy noise such as in this picture: https://forum.videohelp.com/images/imgfiles/GJNJBxP.png

You can really see it most evident around his pants.

Any tips?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    You should probably post your script and also tell what bit rate you are using.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    This is with no filters being used just cropping and I used CRF19 @ 1080p which gives it around a 7Mbps bitrate.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Looks like grain to me. I assume this grain is visible in the source?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yea, but it looks really weird on the dark scenes... Maybe I could try killing the grain and see how that look.

Any filters you could recommend?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Noise in dark areas is x264's weak point. Use CRF 12 to 15 for dark shots like that. Or increase aq-strength to 1.8 to 2.0.

Killing the grain will make it worse. To reduce posterization in the source you can add grain to dark areas. Or try using gradfun2dbmod().
    Quote Quote  
  7. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Akai-Shuichi View Post
    This is with no filters being used just cropping and I used CRF19 @ 1080p which gives it around a 7Mbps bitrate.
    Grain or not, that bitrate is too late for 1080 lines of video.
    Last edited by sanlyn; 19th Mar 2014 at 07:41.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by sanlyn View Post
    Originally Posted by Akai-Shuichi View Post
    Grain or not, that bitrate is too late for 1080 lines of video.
    Not if it's clean animated material.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    From the image posted, it don't look so clean.
    Last edited by sanlyn; 19th Mar 2014 at 07:41.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Can the OP provide a 10 second clip of the source?
    Quote Quote  
  11. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Akai-Shuichi, in the future please use a more descriptive subject title in your posts to allow others to search for similar topics. I will change yours this time. From our rules:
    Try to choose a subject that describes your topic.
    Please do not use topic subjects like Help me!!! or Problems.
    Thanks,

Moderator redwudz
    Quote Quote  
  12. In Blu-Ray that I am trying to encode into x264 via AviSynth there dark scenes have this really irritating griddy noise such as in this picture: https://forum.videohelp.com/images/imgfiles/GJNJBxP.png

Yea, but it looks really weird on the dark scenes... Maybe I could try killing the grain and see how that look.
    Even if OP might have posted like:
    "In Blu-Ray that I am trying to encode via AviSynth there dark scenes have this really irritating griddy noise...
    Yea, but it looks really weird on the dark scenes... Maybe I could try killing the grain and see how that look...."

We could have understand the rest, and further more it might have prevented the flames. Irritating griddy noise looks really weird on the dark scenes may be bcoz OP did not apply any AVISynth filter for compensation. May be AVISynth experts gonna help you with the best filter(s) for the compensation. And that is exactly what & why tons of filter(s) are built for, meant for! It is hard to imagine AVISynth without any filter(s).

Meanwhile OP can try Microsoft Expression Encoder Free Edition just for a change, as he is encoding @ 7Mbps, fairly high enough for 1080p. I assume he is in the Windows.
    Last edited by enim; 6th Feb 2014 at 03:22.
    Quote Quote