VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm new and not sure where this goes. At our church we have one computer that runs our video output (powerpoint, movies, presentations, etc.) That computer has a Nvida GeForce 220 gt. We just purchased a larger TV for our rear screen (so whoever is up front can see what's on the main screen without turning around). The TV has HDMI and RGB inputs. The other screens are a main front projector, and two side TV's. All are connected with VGA off a VGA splitter box (generic 1x8 1920x1440 130mhz). We have a Monoprice VGA to HDMI converter that will output 1080 or 720 at 60hz. That's the particulars. The picture on the rear TV is shifted down and to the left about an inch either way (65 inch tv). I've tried using the nvidia screen position utility but it's like it's cut off from that edge. The screen shifts but like it's sliding behind that edge. The kicker....if I use the HDMI out on the video card it works just dandy, but the card can only use two of the 3 outs (vga, dvi, hdmi) at a time and we need one of those outputs for the primary display monitor for the operator. As I see it my options are: 1. A different VGA to HDMI converter (tried VGA to RGB with disasterous results) 2. Get an HDMI splitter and run HDMI to the other screens. I'm not fond of that option because it makes for long runs which means extra boosters and such and the money is not in the budget for it. I've tried my best searching different forums and threads and help files and blah blah blah and have come up with nothing. So videohelp.com gurus unite!! Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Is it possible to add another video card with HDMI out to your PC?

I'm not sure if a different VGA to HDMI converter will work any better.

I use a powered HDMI splitter with a 50 ft. cable run, but I understand stringing more cables isn't always the best solution.

Other members may have some better suggestions.

And welcome to our forums.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Any chance that the computer motherboard has graphics capabilities? If so, then on most/some computers you can use the on-board graphics plus the add-in card for 3 outputs. Unfortunately, some won't let you use on-board graphics and add-in at the same time (I've got one of those at my church).
    Quote Quote  
  4. Had a 'Atlona AT-HD500' a few years ago and it worked fine, but it wasn't really cheap, so I too would go with a second video card, which is probably way cheaper than a decent vga2hdmi adapter.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'll have to check the computer if I have an extra video slot.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    A few PCI>HDMI cards:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007709%20600007853%2060...e=1%20x%20HDMI

If you know more information on the PC used, brand, model or what exact motherboard it uses would be helpful.

If it's a fairly new PC, it likely has a unused PCI slot, or maybe a XI slot. There are a few X1 HDMI cards.

EDIT: You can use a simple program like CPU-Z to check on the MB name without opening the case. There is a non-installing version here:
    http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html

SIW also can give you a lot of PC information and has a non-installing version that can run from a USB drive: http://www.gtopala.com/
    Last edited by redwudz; 4th Feb 2014 at 11:49.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    So, even if I have an empty, how do I run 2 cards? Is there another thread for that I can read?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I've ran two video cards on PCs before. The first time was to get a second VGA monitor and the other was to add HDMI to one of my PCs. I don't recall any problems with either setup. Possible hardware issues could be added heat and power supply loading, but that depends on the PC.

Someone else here could probably give you better answers.

EDIT: One more thought. Do you send the audio over the HDMI or is that handled by a PA system?
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Audio is all done with the PA. Checked the computer. Adding a second card is not a problem power or slot wise. I have a couple extra PCI slots and the power supply will handle another card.

I checked the link that redwudz put up for newegg.com. I was reading the reviews and most of them commented about how slow the cards were. I'm only using it to run powerpoint and the OCCASIONAL (rare) video. So no gaming or hard super hard 3D work. If it can handle a smooth fade ppt transition we're in business.
    Quote Quote  
  10. If it can handle a smooth fade ppt transition we're in business.
    normal office&video should be no problem
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Anyone have any experience with external cards that run off USB 2.0 to HDMI?
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Just thought about this: how about USB to VGA or a PCI card that has VGA to run my primary display from and then use the gt 220 to run my extended desktop? Once again, I'm not doing anything too graphically intense.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Just an update for anyone who wants to know.

All the USB to HDMI or VGA adapters had too low of ram to function smoothly with the new office transitions. Also, there were driver conflicts with every one I tried. I did remove the current graphics card to run off the integrated to see if it would work. It functioned but still didn't run smoothly. I ended up having to get a PCI graphics card (made sure I had the same chipset and similar generation). I initially had issues with windows seeing it as a graphics card until I changed the bios setting to PCI/PEG instead of PEG/PCI. There ya have it. If you're looking to add a third screen, the USB to whatever outputs really only work if you're running off integrated graphics and they are kinda chuggy at that. Thanks for all the replies here. Case closed
    Quote Quote