VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello everyone,

I apologise - I know that at least parts of this question have been asked before though some of the answers relate to older OS platforms.

I am trying to capture some old VHS videos to my computer.

I have good IT experience but little video conversion or codec knowledge.

My setup is;

1150 socket motherboard 4GB ram & 2 x 1TB hdd
    Windows 7 64 bit Prof
    Adaptec AUA-3020 (Texas Instruments 1394 PCI firewire card)
    Panasonic Super Drive VHS
    Canopus ADVC 110
    VirtualDub 1.10.4 (build 35491)

I like VirtualDub and would like to use it if possible but I have read on other posts problems relating to "Video For Windows" in what I am trying to achieve.

I have followed suggestions read in other posts to install ffdshow and select the VirtualDub addin but when I run VirtualDub and select File>Capture AVI>Device the options are;

0 Microsoft WDM Image Capture (WIN32) (VFW)
    1 Screen Capture
    2 Video File (Emulation)

If I select "0" I get the message - VirtualDub cannot connect to the desired capture driver.

Can I capture from VHS with this setup ?

Are their any simple to follow tutorials (that I may have missed) to guide me on this ?

Thanks very much.

pappin
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You are 'capturing' DV. Just use WinDV
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    The O.P. clearly stated he is capturing VHS, not DV.

AFAIK, I don't see anything that pappin listed which would connect to Firewire, which wouldn't be optimal for VHS capture anyway. Someone who is familiar with the ADVC 110 will have to advise here. Can it be used with Win7? I would suggest the O.P. try to get his hands on an ATI USB capture device.
    Last edited by sanlyn; 19th Mar 2014 at 07:40.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    What is a Canopus ADVC for then ? Simple, straight forward way to get Analog VHS to digital (DV)
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by sanlyn View Post
    Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    The O.P. clearly stated he is capturing VHS, not DV.
    Irrelevant, the ADVC sends a hardware encoded DV stream, so the same advice as for native DV applies - capture should be performed with WinDV or similar, not Virtualdub.

Originally Posted by sanlyn View Post
    AFAIK, I don't see anything that pappin listed which would connect to Firewire, which wouldn't be optimal for VHS capture anyway. Someone who is familiar with the ADVC 110 will have to advise here. Can it be used with Win7? I would suggest the O.P. try to get his hands on an ATI USB capture device.
    The ADVC connects via Firewire (synonymous with the DV spec). And yes it works for Win7, but legacy FW driver may be needed.

As a side note - I know you feel the need to put down DV in every thread, but that really does not help. The OP simply asked for advice on how to use what he already has - don't just tell him to buy something else. This isn't an EzCrap you throw in the bin, but a good bit of hardware.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    No problem. You can help the O.P. clean up VHS->DV headaches in Avisynth.
    Last edited by sanlyn; 19th Mar 2014 at 07:40.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by sanlyn View Post
    No problem. You can help the O.P. clean up VHS->DV headaches in Avisynth.
    Or he can capture this in lossless -
    Originally Posted by pappin View Post
    Panasonic Super Drive VHS
    I'm sure it'll be worth it. At least the ADVC is guaranteed to capture it without a fuss.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Wow ! thanks for all the replies.

DB83
    tried WinDV - doesn't see capture device either - I'll double check firewire card and what version drivers its using - I'd like to use VirtualDub if I can though.

SixFiftyThree
    "capture should be performed with WinDV or similar, not Virtualdub"
    Will WinDV run on Windows 7 64 ?
    Can I capture just the raw video and do processing separately ?

The reason I was hoping to use the ADVC 110 & VirtualDub was to capture the raw video without compressing it.
    I have limited knowledge on this at the moment but I understood that some USB and PCI cards with their accompanying software compressed the video while capturing or have I misunderstood this.

Thanks again for all the input

pappin
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by pappin View Post
    The reason I was hoping to use the ADVC 110 & VirtualDub was to capture the raw video without compressing it.
    That's impossible with an ADVC110. The device digitizes the video, compresses it to DV, then sends that compressed video over firewire to the computer. The best you can do is capture the DV stream without further compressing it. That's what WinDV, DVIO, etc. are good for.

I seem to recall that there are problems capturing firewire/DV with 32 bit programs on 64 bit Windows.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by pappin View Post
    tried WinDV - doesn't see capture device either - I'll double check firewire card and what version drivers its using
    This seems to be a common issue, but also one that's often resolved. I don't capture DV on Win7, so can't help you directly. Did you look into the legacy FW driver I mentioned? Here's a guide I found:

http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/en_US/Troubleshooting/en370145

Will WinDV run on Windows 7 64 ?
    I think it should work once you resolve your FW issue. If you don't mind more advanced s/w, try Sclive as well.

Then you've bought the wrong device. Though a good choice IMO, as the robust ADVC will capture your signal reliably, regardless of quality factors (of which there are many). Cheaper USB TV sticks won't be as forgiving, but are able to capture losslessly; which despite DV's naysayers, only offers a barely visible advantage. The main difference is in editing headroom.

There's a wealth of info on VHS capture methods here, I suggest you read more if looking for best results.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    I seem to recall that there are problems capturing firewire/DV with 32 bit programs on 64 bit Windows.
    I'm using the ADVC110 at this very moment to store DV with Sony Video Capture 6.0, a 32-bit program running under my 64-bit Windows 7. Never had a problem with it.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Hello,

Thanks again for all the additional input.

I've got it working !!

It was as I wondered earlier - firewire card - not faulty hardware it checked out fine - prob a compatibility/driver issue.

Got hold of a StarTech 2 port PCI express FW card & everything is fine.

The card is built with a native PCI Express chipset - no bridge chip - whether that made any difference I don't know yet but
    I didn't need to run with the legacy FW driver.

So this works if any benefit to anyone else;

Windows 7 Prof 64 bit
    StarTech 2 port PCI express FW card
    ADVC 110
    VirtualDub (32 bit) ver 1.10.4
    ffdshow_rev4507_20130426_clsid

A link to the card (if that's allowed) - http://www.startech.com/Cards-Adapters/FireWire/2-Port-PCI-Express-1394-FireWire-400-Card~PEX1394A2

Thanks again

pappin
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    - If NTSC, Canopus is a ppro choice.
    - If PAL, then it's fine.

WniDV is what you should always use the Canopus DV boxes.

As you've discovered, all you need is a good DV card.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search PM
    Great! StarTech usually costs a bit more, but their products are rock-solid. I use their ExpressCard firewire adapter with my laptop. It just works.
    Quote Quote