VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi Again,
    As a self confessed 'Newbie' to the world of 'Ripping and Copying blu Ray', am I expecting too much from the process. To explain, when I want to watch a Blu Ray movie I merely place the disk into my NAD T557 and the disk starts and plays automatically and if any input is needed I merely supply it via the NAD Remote. When I copy the disk using software, such as Aiseesoft Blu-Ray Ripper or, DVD Fab 9, I end up with a multitude of files on my USB HDD including a 'Recycle Bin!!'. Why am I unable to just get a copy of the disk and play it with the same ease as happens when I use the original disk in my player?
    Thank You
    Brian
    Quote Quote  
  2. It sounds like you're converting to the wrong format. I know nothing about the programs you mentioned, but it sounds like they're ripping the contents of the disc "as-is". Fine if you want to re-burn them to another complaint Bluray video disc. Do they have an option to rip and/or convert to a single file such as MKV/MP4?

A lot of people rip, then re-encode to reduce the file size. My process involves doing the various steps with individual programs.
    AnyDVD HD for decrypting in the background.
    HD-DVD/Blu-Ray Stream Extractor for extracting the desired streams to individual files.
    MeGUI for re-encoding the video (I also quite often resize to 720p)
    MKVMergeGUI for combining them all into a single MKV file (you can combine the streams with or without re-encoding the video).

Or try MakeMKV. It's designed to do all of the above for you (without re-encoding anything).
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by anotherbrian2 View Post
    Hi Again,
    As a self confessed 'Newbie' to the world of 'Ripping and Copying blu Ray', am I expecting too much from the process. To explain, when I want to watch a Blu Ray movie I merely place the disk into my NAD T557 and the disk starts and plays automatically and if any input is needed I merely supply it via the NAD Remote. When I copy the disk using software, such as Aiseesoft Blu-Ray Ripper or, DVD Fab 9, I end up with a multitude of files on my USB HDD including a 'Recycle Bin!!'. Why am I unable to just get a copy of the disk and play it with the same ease as happens when I use the original disk in my player?
    Thank You
    Brian
    I looked up your player, and the features list said the that the front-panel USB input is for playing music from a thumb drive, MP3 player, or hard drive. It said nothing about playing video. Have you ever successfully played video of any kind via the USB port?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi Hello_hello,
    Thanks for your quick response, I shall work through your suggestions. This ripping and copying is turning into something resembling the 'Dark Arts' from a Harry Potter movie!
    Regards
    Brian
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi unusually_quiet,
    I have played the latest Superman movie using a USB Pen Drive and it worked perfectly. I must confess though, I merely played it, the mystic art of getting it onto the USB Pen Drive was performed by my 'Geeky' son.
    Regards
    Brian
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    Its not so hard. Use MakeMKV to get the main movie only from the Blu-ray disc to the hard drive of your computer. If it is too large to fit onto your target, say the usb pen drive you mentioned, then compress the file from MakeMKV using Handbrake or Vidcoder. I would try the High Profile on stock settings within Handbrake or Vidcoder first (though I always go into the Settings-->Video tab and change from Variable Framerate to Constant Framerate no matter what). Your output will either be another, smaller mkv file or an mp4, depending on which format you prefer.

You'll see a message from MakeMKV saying that you are using the trial period for the program when you first try to use it. But you can put in a new beta key each month and continue to use the program for free. The free beta keys are found here: http://www.makemkv.com/forum2/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1053
    Quote Quote  
  7. I too looked up your player. In the manual on page 18 it states "The T557 can play back MP3/WMA/JPEG/PNG/DivX files stored in external USB
    and about DivX it says on page 17 "Only downloaded videos from DivX VOD can be played back on your T557"

DivX is a codec for video compression (a revolutionary new video codec - as your manual states it) and VOD is Video-On-Demand which to answer your question: Yes you are expecting too much. Only one video codec is supported (not the one used on a Bluray) and it has to be VOD.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by anotherbrian2 View Post
    Hi unusually_quiet,
    I have played the latest Superman movie using a USB Pen Drive and it worked perfectly. I must confess though, I merely played it, the mystic art of getting it onto the USB Pen Drive was performed by my 'Geeky' son.
    Regards
    Brian
    The manual for the T557 isn't terribly specific when it comes to providing info on the type of video it'll play via USB. Sometimes players will happily play video and file types not mentioned in the manual.
    It'd probably play to get your son to give you a list of the formats it will play along with the supported resolutions if possible. It sounds like he'd have a rough idea already or he could test a few different files.

The most common containers used are MKV, MP4 and AVI. They can each hold different types of video and audio. Once you know the sort of video it'll play then you can work out whether you want to rip and convert your discs to a format that'll keep the player happy, or you might want to buy a USB media player to play them instead. They're pretty cheap these days and they'll usually play just about anything, and most will happily let you connect a USB hard drive up to 2TB in size.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by anotherbrian2 View Post
    ...the mystic art of getting it onto the USB Pen Drive was performed by my 'Geeky' son.
    Sounds like an excellent opportunity for father/son bonding as he teaches you the process step-bt-step.
    They that give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    HI All Respondents,
    Kerry56 and Videobruger, thank you for your input, especially the link to the MKV key.
    hello_hello, my NAD T557 has both the slot for the blu ray disk and also a USB inlet so I have just assumed it would play the same video format in either one?
    drytech, if only!! After sessions of watching 'Raised eyebrows' and 'Eyes looking upwards towards heaven'; probably looking for Divine intervention or, demonstrations of how to do things, conducted at the 'Speed of Light', one gets a little wary of approaching Geeks for advice!!
    Than you All
    Brian
    Quote Quote