VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Recently I connected a DVD/VHS Combo player (Philips DVP3345VB, replacing an older VCR) to my new HDTV (LG LN5300 39") via white, red & yellow connectors...

My commercial VHS tapes play abysmally on this Combo player/HDTV, with a display on the HDTV reading "Invalid Media." The VHS color tapes play erratically in B&W with a lot of streaking.

As a matter of fact, commercial DVDs on the Combo player play only in B&W, also!

How can I make necessary adjustments to this setup to get it working properly?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    bad cable or defective unit?
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Maybe bad cable...got the same bad results from hooking up another VCR to this setup...

But I have another DVD player hooked up to the HDTV, that plays flawlessly.

I wonder what the "Invalid Media" display hints at....
    Last edited by D.V. Dee; 3rd Feb 2014 at 21:13.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Is the yellow rca connector from the vcr/dvd player plugged into the green component input? According to the manual for your tv, the yellow connector goes into the green component input and the white and red connectors go into the white and red inputs.

Brainiac
    Last edited by Brainiac; 4th Feb 2014 at 09:37. Reason: Added more info.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I want to warn you that even if you get your connection issue straightened out where you've got everything connected correctly, your tapes may still look like crap. Why?

Composite video is a low quality video input. My experience is that HDTVs do not do well at all with low quality video inputs like composite and the old style coax cables that cable TV providers used in the past. Even S-Video is not so good.

Additionally, the vast majority of Americans watch EVERYTHING in 16:9 on their HDTVs. If you have your HDTV set up to stretch EVERYTHING you watch on it, you will find that your low quality VHS tapes (even commercial VHS is lower quality than you might realize) will look like crap when stretched. If you watch your VHS tapes in 4:3 on your TV, even with a low quality composite connection it will help to make them look somewhat better.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Brainiac View Post
    Is the yellow rca connector from the vcr/dvd player plugged into the green component input? According to the manual for your tv, the yellow connector goes into the green component input and the white and red connectors go into the white and red inputs.

Brainiac
    Will double-check on this....
    Quote Quote  
  7. Make sure also you output the right video format in your player settings
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search PM
    Urgent family business, will get back to this very shortly, Thanx!
    Quote Quote