VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm used to copying my avi, mkv and such video files onto a USB stick to play on a media player, but am a neophyte when it comes to setting up a DVD that will play "DVD format," as a friend's Toshiba SDK1000KU manual calls it. I know how to convert and burn files, including VOB ones, but there's more to it, since an mkv file I converted to VOB and burned onto a DVD-R disc wouldn't play on my Phillips DVD player, even though it takes a few file formats. For example, do I need to set up Video_TS folder (and Audio_TS? )and put the VOB file in it, or...? Are there good instructions somewhere? The relevant page from the manual is attached. Thanks,
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  2. A DVD has certain requirements, you've obviously heard of some of them. Check out the what is DVD link at the upper left of this site. Avstodvd is an excellent free tool for authoring.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks, I've installed it and will try it later. In burning the vob file to DVD with ImgBurn and running it on my computer, there was a noticeable degredation of video clarity, nothing unwatchable but there. Is that normal? My computer has a Plextor 891 cd/dvd.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by rogmath View Post
    Thanks, I've installed it and will try it later. In burning the vob file to DVD with ImgBurn and running it on my computer, there was a noticeable degredation of video clarity, nothing unwatchable but there. Is that normal? My computer has a Plextor 891 cd/dvd.
    There may be some, but very difficult to judge without looking at a sample of output,
    and possibly the source.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks. I found AVStoDVD awfully slow, such as 3% done converting a 1.4gb mkv file after 1hr30. But the process did help me understand better what's going on, so I switched back to Audio Video Converter and Free Studio, both of which are much faster, especially the latter. Using them, I do have a few more questions:

- When I'm putting two videos on a DVD, what do I do so that they show up separately on the disc menu?

- Subtitles:
    With hardcoded English, how do I get the converter to recognize them? With AVC I've tried Eng 1, Eng 2 and None, all w/o success. I also have a separate sub file that can be used, but it doesn't grab that either when I make the names the same.

- Format: So far I'm being shown the NTSC DVD format of 720x480 only, which renders black bars top and bottom, even though the original files (e.g., mkv, avi) are 1280x720 and play full screen. Anything I can do about that?

Thanks,
    Last edited by rogmath; 4th Feb 2014 at 19:00.
    Quote Quote  
  6. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    We are not using any of those tools here...

But avstodvd sounds incredible slow.

Another good and fast all in one dvd converter is convertxtodvd. It's not free though.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Tools used here aside, I would think some or all of my questions can be answered generally.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by rogmath View Post
    - Format: So far I'm being shown the NTSC DVD format of 720x480 only, which renders black bars top and bottom, even though the original files (e.g., mkv, avi) are 1280x720 and play full screen. Anything I can do about that?

Thanks,
    Your video should be converted to widescreen anamorphic to fill the screen with no black bars. Your picture will not be as sharp as there is less resolution.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by rogmath View Post
    Thanks. I found AVStoDVD awfully slow, such as 3% done converting a 1.4gb mkv file after 1hr30. But the process did help me understand better what's going on, so I switched back to Audio Video Converter and Free Studio, both of which are much faster, especially the latter. Using them, I do have a few more questions:

- When I'm putting two videos on a DVD, what do I do so that they show up separately on the disc menu?

- Subtitles:
    With hardcoded English, how do I get the converter to recognize them? With AVC I've tried Eng 1, Eng 2 and None, all w/o success. I also have a separate sub file that can be used, but it doesn't grab that either when I make the names the same.

Thanks,
    I use AVStoDVD not the other two, so I can't tell you how to insure that two video files are imported as separate titles, each with its own listing in the menu.

Hardcoded subs are part of the video. No authoring program will recognize that they are present or allow making them a selectable option. You will have to read the help file or features description to find out what kind of subtitle files these authoring programs accept. For example some might accept only .SUP files or only .SRT files.

To get rid of the black bars you would have to set the aspect ratio in the authoring program to 16:9 prior to authoring. However it is possible that some one-click authoring programs may not allow you to set an aspect ratio. They just use the aspect ratio from the video headers, and if there isn't one, they default to 4:3.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 4th Feb 2014 at 21:43. Reason: fix typo
    Quote Quote