VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. (Putting this out as separate Q to avoid confusion in the other thread)

Goal is to take completed Vegas project files (.mpg) PAL and author and burn as DVD MPEG-2 compliant discs

Advice here is that seems to be that you should render as separate Elementary streams.
    To achieve this is Vegas - I followed the doc .. Vegas rendering settings for a DVD
    https://www.custcenter.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1105/

Unclear on one part of this ..

I select Render Template "DVD Architect PAL video Stream"

In customize template - there is an 'audio' tab as part of this, and I can select it to 'include audio'
    Then under 'system' tab, I have option to 'save as elementary streams' and then I could set it to use AC3, choose bitrate I want etc.

Is there any reason why I should not do it this way ? instead of running render twice and a choosing separate audio template ?
    or is there an advantage to running render twice - and using the "Dolby Digital AC3" is doing this is going to use better audio encoder than Main Concept ?

Or is there some other reason. ?

I can quite happily run Render twice - just wondering why the difference.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Have you tried it. Just once ?

The templates only set the format(s). The 'save as' does the actual work. I would expect it to do both as one pass.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Yes if I select 'audio' within teh template it does Audio & Video as single file in one-pass.

Raised the Q due to advice on 'save as elementary streams' ... so happy to follow that advice, just trying to understand if using 'save as elementary streams' and having audio & video created in one Render template (and one pass) is in anyway inferior to running the render with 2 separate templates.

Hence my Q is the other Dolby AC3 template superior - in which case that would be the reason to do it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You mis-understand me. IIRC there are several 'save as' or 'render as' options. Obviuosly one will create a muxed file whereas another should create elementary stream without rendering the file twice. But even if it does there is no real hardship. The video render takes most time.

Can not anser your other question. I would have thought muxed or elementary would create the same ac3 file.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Sorry ... you are right other ver of MainConcept template have audio 'include' ticked as standard. eg "DVD Archiect PAL Program stream"
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    One other thing. I am no audiophile (half deaf infact). It may be fine to encode your audio as ac3 but if you do not have the correct audio equipment you will get little to no advantage from it.

Your original (DV) source has uncompressed audio and that may actually give you better results. But it does depend on your playback system.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Noticed when I run separate Dolby AC3 render template, no bitrate options, only AGC on or off.
    Do you know if this is normal.

edit - found my answer to this one ... AC3 is constant 320 kbps
    Last edited by Tafflad; 2nd Feb 2014 at 18:30.
    Quote Quote