VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi. I got this DVD and it needs deinterlacing and restoring, so no matter if I apply srestore with yadif or tdeint in a sample test encode from the source, it gives me good results, no issues and etc.

But, when I apply the very same .avs to the whole movie and encode, it gives jerky playback with lots of missing frames and at the same time duplicate frames. I just don't get it, I did try encoding various other samples taken from the source and they would give good encodes, but when again applied to the whole source it gives very bad output. I just don't get it why this happens? Why can't it work as it works on samples with the same script?

Code:
    LoadPlugin("DGDecode.dll")
    LoadCPlugin("Yadif.dll")
    LoadPlugin("mt_masktools-25.dll")
    Import("Srestore.avsi")
    DGDecode_mpeg2source("test.d2v")
    d = last.bob(-0.2,0.6)
    Yadif(Order=1,Mode=1)
    srestore(frate=24.000,mode=2,dclip=d)
    crop(10, 72, -10, -72)
    Spline36Resize(700,394) # Spline36 (Neutral)
    or same, but with tdeint
    Code:
    tdeint(mode=1, type=2, link=0, mthreshl=6, mthreshc=6, tryweave=false, full=true, sharp=true, denoise=true)
    Also tried both frate 24 and 23.976
    Even tried QTGMC and like always samples gives good encodes, but when applied to the whole movie it gives same bad missing/duplicate frame jerky encodes with same avs! Also tried encoding from both original vobs or demuxed to .m2v.

I can upload a sample vob to test, but I don't know how that would help since like I said, encoded samples gives good encodes.

Total mind*uck!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Describe the source, and how short were your samples?

Interrupted telicine patterns will often cause this.
    Quote Quote  
  3. It's a NTSC transfer to PAL and is at 25FPS. I tried 1 minute, 3 minute and 15 minute samples. There's 5MB sample, also let me know if you're lucky to get rid of duplicate frames after switching scene without any skipping frames.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Never done one of those, but my understanding is that there are potentially tremendous and possibly non-fixable problems involved.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Add AssumeTFF() before the bob.

<edit>

I've seen the video now. A simple srestore() works better than srestore(frate=23.976,mode=2,dclip=d).
    Last edited by jagabo; 2nd Feb 2014 at 11:13.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Yeah but it works only with samples, I get same issues on trying to encode whole movie. What was AssumeTFF() supposed to do? Didn't help.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by rhaz View Post
    What was AssumeTFF() supposed to do? Didn't help.
    Before seeing the sample I was guessing that AviSynth was defaulting to BFF.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Simple srestore() gave me 11.988 fps.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Did you take out yadif? I meant, just change the srestore line, leave Yadif in. And, of course, you no longer need the d=... line.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Yes, that's what I did. Didn't touch Yadif and removed d= line and left simple srestore() As I remember simple srestore() never worked for me, I always had to set rate.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by rhaz View Post
    As I remember simple srestore() never worked for me, I always had to set rate.
    Then set the rate to 23.976.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Well yeah, that's what I was doing for last two days.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Without being able to replicate your problem it's hard to diagnose it. So the sample you provided is from a section that's messed up when you encode the entire movie?
    Last edited by jagabo; 2nd Feb 2014 at 12:39.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Yes, exactly.
    Quote Quote  
  15. If you couldn't replicate the problem from your own sample, what was the purpose of uploading the sample ?

Try uploading a longer sample , long enough that even you can replicate the problem, and the section cut from your encode where there are problems

srestore isn't perfect, it - will miss some matches that could have been done manually , and sometimes there are frames for which there are no solution

But from your description it sounds like it's failing miserably ?
    Quote Quote  
  16. Well. Good news. Have no idea what was the issue, but I made it. I encoded the movie in two parts by trimming it in half using this:
    Code:
    Yadif(Order=1,Mode=1)
    srestore(frate=23.976)
    And then merged both encodes and finally got fine rip with no jerky playback, no skipping and etc.

It's crazy why this doesn't work when encoding whole movie at once.
    Quote Quote