VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    I just uploaded 2 Mini-DV video footage files from my camcorder to VS Pro X5, checking off the Split By Scene option.

The first footage file, shot the same day, contained many different scenes--but VS Pro X5 failed to split the scenes
    during the upload--just rendering it in one abysmally long sequence...

But uploading the second Mini-DV footage file, shot years later, but during a single day, it did split the scenes,
    per that option!

So...why didn't VS Pro split the scenes of the first file, as it did the second one?

If I can't get it to scene-split the first file, is there any workaround in VS Pro X5 to split the already-uploaded video file
    into its various scenes?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Presumably as you are talking about MiniDV, you transferred using Firewire as DV-AVI? If this is the case, then the timecodes should be in the file and it should be able to split by scene. Unless, the clock wasn't set in the camcorder at the time. The internal battery in my VX2000E needs replacing so every time it is switched on it tells me to set the time and date. If I do, I can then split the resulting file by scene. If I don't, then it won't.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Good point about Capture mode being set to DV-AVI--I don't think that was the setting during Capture. I'll try uploading the footage again with that setting...

And when I play back the MiniDV in the camcorder, there are definitely timecodes present.

Thanks for your points, Richard.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If you capture as anything other than a DV-AVI transfer, the footage will be converted to a different format so scene splitting won't be an option. I use Ulead Mediastudio Pro, which is from the same stable as Video Studio and the scene splitting option is greyed out with anything other than a DV-AVI file.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    Gotcha.
    Quote Quote