VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have files in these formats which I want to edit.

I am currently using two editors which are very nice for ease of use and features :

Virtualdub for .avi files
    MpegVideoWizard for .mpeg files.

Please suggest some simple to use apps like the above.

Thank you for your suggestions.
    Quote Quote  
  2. vdub can open mkv, wmv, mp4 , mpeg with various plugins eg.. wmv plugin, ffinputdriver, directshow input driver . Or even avs (avisynth) script

aviutl is a nice free one has multiple tracks / layers

avidemux can open many types of files , and has a GUI similar to vdub
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Also, please suggest some faster apps.

(For example, I installed WinFF in the hope to convert .wmv into avi, for onward editing in my VirtualDub. However, for a 1 hour, 1.25 GB, wmv file, it took 20 minutes to convert to avi. I would prefer something faster).
    Quote Quote  
  4. If your hardware profile listed is correct, you're probably hardware limited (that's the bottleneck when converting). Try upgrading your hardware

Or use programs which don't require conversion first before editing
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    If your hardware profile listed is correct, you're probably hardware limited (that's the bottleneck when converting). Try upgrading your hardware

Or use programs which don't require conversion first before editing
    Sorry, my profile was outdated. I have now updated it. I have Windows 7 with core i5 2.5 GHz and 2GB Ram, 220GB HDD. However, in C drive of 110 GB, remaining space is 4 GB.
    Last edited by seymoria; 1st Feb 2014 at 17:07.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    vdub can open mkv, wmv, mp4 , mpeg with various plugins eg.. wmv plugin, ffinputdriver, directshow input driver .
    For MKV files, I installed Plugin Matroska (MKV / MKA) (by fcchandler) from the VDub page here. However, it says 'no audio decompressor was be found to decompress the source audio format'.

For WMV files, I installed the plugin Windows Media (ASF / WMV / WMA) (by fcchandler). It doesnt work and message says 'Missing Codec'.

For MP4 files, I installed the Plugin QuickTime / MPEG-4 / 3GPP (MOV MP4 M4V M4A QT 3GP 3G2) (by fccHandler). Returns same message as 'No audio decompressor found'...

Please advise further. Thank you.
    Quote Quote  
  7. avidemux will open all those formats natively

for vdub you need to install ffdshow for decoders , and enable the appropriate ones in the configuration. For AAC, there is AACACM

ffinputdriver will open almost anything in vdub
    https://code.google.com/p/ffinputdriver/
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks. Installed avidemux.
    Can you guide how to perform following 2 basic functions :

1) Marking in and out points for cutting out a portion (and multiple portions in a session).
    2) Saving the edited file in (loss-less) parent resolution (like the Direct Stream copy option in Virtualdub).

Regards.

(There seems to be no help files in it).
    Quote Quote  
  9. For wmv, use asfbin for "direct stream copy" . Neither vdub or avidemux can export wmv in stream copy fashion in asf or wmv format (vdub can sort of do it as wmv in AVI container)

BTW, avidemux doesn't have to be "installed" . There is a portable version available as well

For mkv, mp4, or avi, you can use avidemux for "direct stream copy" . Similar to vdub, you can only cut on keyframes (ie. not frame accurate). But for xvid (same as vdub), there is smart rendering which means it is frame accurate because a few frames are re-encoded around the cutsite.

To navigate by keyframes use the "<<" ">>" buttons in the GUI at the bottom. Use the "A" "B" buttons on the bottom of the GUI to "mark in" , "mark out"

On the sidebar:
    video output=> copy
    audio output=> copy
    output format => whatever was the original e.g. select "mkv muxer" if your original was mkv

ctrl+s to save, enter filename with extension e.g. "myvideo.mkv"
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You have been a great help. Thanks very much.

Avidemux looks cool and perfect for most of my requirements.

Regards.

(p.s. I will seek your advice again if I get stuck anywhere).
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have also installed asfbin because the Avidemux was not editing wmv files correctly (no sound).

I plan to use Avidemux for all my files (mkv, mpeg, mp4) and use asfbin for wmv files.

I successfully edited a wmv with asfbin but have noted something to share with you. As you mentioned, asfbin saves an edited wmv directly from its parent stream (direct stream copy). However, the original file was 1 hour duration and 1.25 GB size. While the saved file was 40 mins duration and only 440 MB size. This size is not coherent with the duration. Do you think it saved it as direct stream from the parent file?
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by seymoria View Post

I successfully edited a wmv with asfbin but have noted something to share with you. As you mentioned, asfbin saves an edited wmv directly from its parent stream (direct stream copy). However, the original file was 1 hour duration and 1.25 GB size. While the saved file was 40 mins duration and only 440 MB size. This size is not coherent with the duration. Do you think it saved it as direct stream from the parent file?
    asfbin doesn't re-encode

Your observations are possible because your wmv might be variable bitrate (some sections might have higher bitrates than others) , and/or variable frame rate (some sections might only be represented by low frame rates, thus probably lower bitrates)

Filesize = Avg Bitrate * Running Time

If you aren't convinced just do some frame by frame comparisons, or psnr/ssim tests on equivalent frames

The other possiblity is something went wrong with the stream copy. So check & make sure nothing is corrupted
    Last edited by poisondeathray; 1st Feb 2014 at 20:11.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks.
    I checked and the file plays back OK. However its not a problem as both files look similar in resolution to me, other than the size. I am perfectly OK with it.
    The big thing is that I learnt to use two great editors today. Avidemux and Asfbin.
    Avidemux looks better than VirtualDub because VDub really bothered me today with some non-accurate frame editing which AVDMux did perfectly OK. So, I would be trashing my VDub from now on as it seems redundant.
    Quote Quote