VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,

Just plugged new Pioneer DVD player (not blu ray) into old Samsung TV (No HDMI) and can't get color. Sound and picture is otherwise good. Any ideas?
    Thanks,

Yodat.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Lots of ideas:

format mismatch,
    bad cables,
    incorrect input,
    you're watching a black and white movie..

But without more details no one can winnow it down.

Let us know Models #s, DVD details, things you've tried, stc...
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,

DVD player is Pioneer "DV-3022V" (purchased in Australia, currently using ac adaptor, purchased to play my Australian-bought DVD's in USA) and Samsung "TX-P2434 TV. Made sure all the cables are properly inserted in the correct outlets and checked the menus on both devices. DVD is definitely color. Troubleshooting guides were unhelpful.
    Quote Quote  
  4. PAL60 output from the player, watched on an NTSC TV = greyscale picture.
    Quote Quote  
  5. It's most likely a PAL/NTSC mismatch. B&W image is a common symptom. Be sure your DVD player is outputting NTSC since that seems to be all your TV accepts.
    Quote Quote  
  6. You need to do one of the following:

1) Set the player to output PAL and get a TV that displays PAL video.

2) Get an Australian/European TV that displays PAL60 properly.

3) Get a converting player that will convert your PAL DVDs to a standard NTSC signal to watch on an NTSC TV.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you! I appreciate your advice.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Note that PAL60 is neither an NTSC nor PAL signal, it's a hybrid. It uses NTSC timing but a PAL chroma carrier (its roots are in VHS players -- which were too dumb to fully convert between PAL/NTSC). Australian and European TVs are designed to handle the hybrid signal. North American NTSC TVs can display the greyscale signal, but they cannot interpret the PAL chroma signal to add color to the picture.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    You need to do one of the following:

3) Get a converting player that will convert your PAL DVDs to a standard NTSC signal to watch on an NTSC TV.
    When I went to BestBuy, the guy didn't know of any DVD players available in the USA that could convert PAL DVD to NTSC. Does anybody know where I can pick one up?

Thanks,

Yodat.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Might have to run the DVD in the laptop and connect it to the tv thru HDMI
    Quote Quote  
  11. Philips players used to be able to convert PAL to NTSC and could easily be made region free. I have an old DVP5990 which does that. I don't keep track of what players currently have those features but it looks like the Philips DVP3680 can be made region free with the remote and it looks like it can convert PAL to NTSC too. Read the first review at Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Philips-DVP3680-DVD-Player-Black/dp/B005MCX4CW/
    https://www.videohelp.com/dvdhacks?dvdplayer=dvp3680
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Philips players used to be able to convert PAL to NTSC and could easily be made region free. I have an old DVP5990 which does that. I don't keep track of what players currently have those features but it looks like the Philips DVP3680 can be made region free with the remote and it looks like it can convert PAL to NTSC too. Read the first review at Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Philips-DVP3680-DVD-Player-Black/dp/B005MCX4CW/
    https://www.videohelp.com/dvdhacks?dvdplayer=dvp3680
    Thanks for that!

Yodat.
    Quote Quote