VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I ripped a DVD-R recording to my harddrive with DVDFab and then demuxed it with DgMPGDec. The running time of the AC3 is correct at ~97 minutes but the m2v files reads ~116 minutes when I load it into EditStudio or Womble MPEG Video Wizard (although it read as half the real running time at around 46 minutes in Windows Explorer's display while MediaInfo also lists the 116 timing). I deleted the files and re-ripped the disc again with the same results. Does anyone know how to fix the file (it's PAL 720x576)? I ran it through ReStream but the new file was the same size but had an even longer timing.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    This could be a wild guess but it is interesting to note that the difference in apparent timings is 1/5th of the correct one - 97/5=19+97=116

Not familiar with DgMPGDec. Are there any source/target settings that could have been mixed up ?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    This could be a wild guess but it is interesting to note that the difference in apparent timings is 1/5th of the correct one - 97/5=19+97=116

Not familiar with DgMPGDec. Are there any source/target settings that could have been mixed up ?
    I'm not sure because I did another disc and while explorer did list that one's timing as half the original, the real timing showed in both EditStudio and Womble. Temporary solve, I dropped the VOB files onto the Womble timeline and did a direct stream copy export. Then I loaded that mpg file into DgMPEGDec and split it. Explorer showed the inaccurate timing but the editing programs showed the correct timing for the m2v.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    um, 25fps vs 30fps???

What does media info say the frame rate is?

When converting 23.976 to 25 a process called speed up is used, the play-speed becomes faster and the file becomes shorter by about 4% [25 * 4 = 100] [24 x 4 = 96] [100 - 96 = 4].

Theoretically, if converting 29.97fps to 25fps you'd use slow down, the play-speed would be slower and the file would become about a fifth longer...
    Last edited by ndjamena; 1st Feb 2014 at 08:14.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    OK, I just took a m2v of buffy, loaded it into ReStream, changed the fps from 25 to 29.97, ticked reset timestamps, zero broken-link flags and remove sequence end codes then processed it, wrote an avs with just MPEG2SOURCE and loaded it into VirtualDub and the duration has changed from 0:43:03.000 to 0:35:54.653. Speed up when changing a lower frame-rate to a higher, which was exactly what I expected to happen. After muxing both m2vs into MKV files I played them side by side and they both played at the correct speed relative to their lengths. The D2V's look exactly the same other than the frame rates. What you're saying shouldn't have happened. There IS something weird in your stream, pull-down flags maybe??? Why did you demux it? If you plan on re-encoding you should do that and fix it later with AVISynth if it needs it. You could load it into VirtualDub and look at it there, or you could mux it into an MKV and see what the duration is then. It's unlikely we'll find a way to fix the file, but it's only a problem if it's an actual problem. Otherwise it's just a curiosity.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    See what this says

http://neuron2.net/dgpulldown/dgpulldown.html

edit: Set custom to 25 -> 25 and see if that fixes it.

edit 2: Never mind. It doesn't change duration.
    Last edited by ndjamena; 1st Feb 2014 at 09:55.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Many programs don't read/report the correct frame rate for mpeg 2 elementary streams. Remuxing into an MPG container usually works.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Bah, I thought he was saying DGIndex was showing the incorrect time, but he'd just demuxed it and cut it with the program! That's no fun!
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by ecc View Post
    I ripped a DVD-R recording to my harddrive with DVDFab and then demuxed it with DgMPGDec. The running time of the AC3 is correct at ~97 minutes but the m2v files reads ~116 minutes when I load it into EditStudio or Womble MPEG Video Wizard (although it read as half the real running time at around 46 minutes in Windows Explorer's display while MediaInfo also lists the 116 timing). I deleted the files and re-ripped the disc again with the same results. Does anyone know how to fix the file (it's PAL 720x576)? I ran it through ReStream but the new file was the same size but had an even longer timing.
    Was this disc made by a DVD recorder?
    My dad's old Cyberhome recorder made discs similar to this. It somehow incorporated the recorder's menu into the main material (VOBs) of the DVD. They showed up with wacky run times.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by hech54 View Post
    Originally Posted by ecc View Post
    I ripped a DVD-R recording to my harddrive with DVDFab and then demuxed it with DgMPGDec. The running time of the AC3 is correct at ~97 minutes but the m2v files reads ~116 minutes when I load it into EditStudio or Womble MPEG Video Wizard (although it read as half the real running time at around 46 minutes in Windows Explorer's display while MediaInfo also lists the 116 timing). I deleted the files and re-ripped the disc again with the same results. Does anyone know how to fix the file (it's PAL 720x576)? I ran it through ReStream but the new file was the same size but had an even longer timing.
    Was this disc made by a DVD recorder?
    My dad's old Cyberhome recorder made discs similar to this. It somehow incorporated the recorder's menu into the main material (VOBs) of the DVD. They showed up with wacky run times.
    Yes, it was made by a DVD recorder. Re-muxing and demuxing seems to have worked.
    Quote Quote