VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello all, i have acquired a seagate tape drive. I am currently running vista home premium. I have searched the web for a driver, no luck. windows sees the device, but has no driver. does anybody know where to get a driver? or am i dead in the water. thanks in advance.
    If it's an ambulance...you got a chance. If it's a hearse...it's even worse!!!--Judge Alvin "JP" Valkenheiser

Want to extract audio from .vob files? Read my guide at https://www.videohelp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=187078
    Quote Quote  
  2. What do you mean by "sees the device", it shows in device manager with a yellow exclamation mark? I haven't used a tape drive in years and don't know that particular drive, but as far as I can remember it's the backup software that handles the device.
    Quote Quote  
  3. yes it sees the device but has the exclamation point with it. from what i have been able to find on the net, yes it appears the backup software is what i need. i was just wondering if a stand alone driver did exist for it.
    If it's an ambulance...you got a chance. If it's a hearse...it's even worse!!!--Judge Alvin "JP" Valkenheiser

Want to extract audio from .vob files? Read my guide at https://www.videohelp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=187078
    Quote Quote  
  4. I wouldn't even consider using this drive for modern backups.

The tape drive dates back to 1998 and uses Travan tapes (20GB in size, tiny by today's standards). Originally it came with drivers for Windows 95/98 and NT 4.0 and a program called "Seagate Backup Exec". If you have tapes that you need to restore, it would likely be best to find an older machine to install 98 on along with the backup software originally used. From there you can restore the data on your tapes.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by NJRoadfan View Post
    I wouldn't even consider using this drive for modern backups...
    I might have worded it a bit more strongly.

If you want to to it just for the hell of it, and do proper backups to external HD etc, fine. But as a primary backup strategy it's frankly nuts.
    Quote Quote  
  6. If you handed me one I would put it in the garbage without a second thought.

Completely and totally worthless.

A zip drive would be an upgrade, and I just threw one of those out, too.
    Quote Quote  
  7. i am not planning to use it for trusted backup usage, i just wanted to see if i could it to work just for fun. but thanks anyway for the help.

Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Drivers

Go via the "have disc" and point the hardware installer to the folder where you unzipped the contents to ... vista may complain about driver signed verification ... if it settles down and becomes usable then all's is well.

But if vista really complains and keeps throwing the driver then time to move on and bin it.
    Quote Quote