VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi
    I was thinking about use two firewire card and a analog capture card to try to make to recording to a harddrive (maybe more then one harddrive)

What I understand I can recording two HDV camera if I use two firewire card and I have that.
    I also have a old analog capture card that I think still work that I was thinking to use too.

But is that any program that I can use to recording more then one source?

I have Sony Vegas but can I use that?

I have not put the computer together yet so I can not see if that work but I was thinking about ask here and hope someone have some positive replay when I have finnish the computer
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I'm not sure I understand.

Is the goal simply to play two different tapes on two different cameras and capture them simultaneously on one machine, in order to reduce the time needed to capture your tape library?

It should be possible, perhaps with two instances of the same capture software. I would look into using a lighter weight capture-specific program rather than an NLE to ingest your footage.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for your replay

My goal is to recording from two different cameras that I connect with firewire.
    I like to record them to my harddrive on my computer

When I recording one camera with firewire I use HDVSplit and it works very good but I don't think I can use that when I have two cameras connect to my computer.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    you can have multiple copies of hdvsplit runnning at the same time. with 2 firewire cards it might work. saving to different hard drives might be required.

Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-01-30_173349.png
Views:	145
Size:	122.0 KB
ID:	23278
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Yes, but WHY?

Why simultaneously to the same computer? These could be done one after the other, though I understand wanting to not wait the extra time. These would BEST be done to 2 different computers, so that the PC's resources are not too heavily taxed. And I would think that outfitting a PC to better handle 2 streams (faster and/or separate HDDs, possibly RAID, More RAM, possibly more cores, enough MOBO slots to accommodate the cards) might actually offset any real difference between using 1 vs. 2 PCs.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    he's recording HDV to the hard drive, not tape. it's been done on much older pc's for DVavi. worked as long as they had separate firewire cards iirc.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Cornucopia:
    Sometime I recording more then one hour and my tape only recording in one hour.
    The computer does not have to be so fast and strong as long I don't look at it at the same time.

aedipuss
    hmm I going to try that after I have build my computer that I going to do soon but the problem I see with hdvsplit is that
    it select the source automatic and I'm afraid it going to just recognize the first camera it found.
    But I going to try and see
    Quote Quote