VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Recently copied VOB files from 200 home video's on DVD to my computer for future editing.

I tried Cyberlink Power director for 30 days. It imported the VOB files with no problem. But I did not care so much for te program. I then recently downloaded the trail version of Coral Video Studio. I like the program better but it wont recognize the VOB files on my computer.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Ted
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    There are editors that could import VOB files directly, but you could also try the free version of VOB2MPG in VOBSET mode to convert the video in the VOBs to .mpg format to use with Corel Video Studio. Note that VOB2MPG does not re-encode, but simply transfers the video and audio to a different container
    Quote Quote  
  3. Sony Vegas loads VOB's too, even joins title together, demultiplexis VOB's to mpg's ( VOB2MPG not needed ) , not sure how that function works if there is no IFO's or DVD structure is broken in some way
    Quote Quote  
  4. Just a simple trick that might work for editing VOBs. Just rename video.VOB to VIDEO.vob.mpg. Probably any editor will import it, more precisely you have to demux VOBs and remux into MPG.

If you just look for rough, simple and FREE mpeg2cutter, give Mpg2Cut2 - Basic Mpeg-2 Cutter a try.
    Last edited by enim; 30th Jan 2014 at 16:56.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by enim View Post
    Just a simple trick that might work for editing VOBs. Just rename video.VOB to VIDEO.vob.mpg. Probably any editor will import it, more precisely you have to demux VOBs and remux into MPG.

If you just look for rough, simple and FREE mpeg2cutter, give Mpg2Cut2 - Basic Mpeg-2 Cutter a try.
    Would I lose any quality renaming files?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by braveheart3158 View Post
    Originally Posted by enim View Post
    Just a simple trick that might work for editing VOBs. Just rename video.VOB to VIDEO.vob.mpg. Probably any editor will import it, more precisely you have to demux VOBs and remux into MPG.

No, you won't lose any video quality. But it doesn't always work. You'd just have to test it with your particular editing program.

If it doesn't work, use Vob2Mpeg as already suggested.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by _Al_ View Post
    Sony Vegas loads VOB's too, even joins title together, demultiplexis VOB's to mpg's ( VOB2MPG not needed ) , not sure how that function works if there is no IFO's or DVD structure is broken in some way
    How would VOB file structure be broken. I just copied the VOB fildvd to puter.. i did not copy iso files. Was that a mistake?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by _Al_ View Post
    Sony Vegas loads VOB's too, even joins title together, demultiplexis VOB's to mpg's ( VOB2MPG not needed ) , not sure how that function works if there is no IFO's or DVD structure is broken in some way
    How would VOB file structure be broken. I just copied the VOB fildvd to puter.. i did not copy iso files. Was that a mistake?
    Yes it was a mistake. VOB files belong inside the DVD structure(VIDEO_TS folder)....hence the need for programs like VOB2MPEG.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    No. But if you do any editing, you need a smart-rendering editor for MPG and for most other lossy formats.
    Last edited by sanlyn; 19th Mar 2014 at 08:31.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    OK so let me see if I get this straight. VOB2mpg has no loss. To accomplish this I can
    1-use the free VOB2mpg software and then use those mpg files in an edit program that does not recognize VOB files?
    2-use a program like Sony Vegus that imports VOB files?

If that is correct then I prefer the one step of using edit software that will recognize the VOB files. I have never used Sony but will look into that and compare with others. ANy suggestions?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    There is FREE software that can do simple, lossless cuts to MPEG2/DVD material.
    If you are talking about adding text, logos, thought bubbles and other lacey frilly stuff to home movies with something like Vegas or the other big names....you WILL be re-encoding and losing quality.
    Quote Quote