VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well I'm in a beginner stage of encoding!
    Since then I have done pretty good job!
    But when i started encoding Bleach Box set 19 I wasn't getting good picture results!
    This is the source [First 30 seconds] : http://filecloud.io/hqc7szuv
    If some one could make it great please do it and put up the avs script you used and the final encoded video file!
    Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  2. What do you not like about the source?
    A typical approach, not really adjusted to the source (kept filters at their default values) like:
    Code:
    SetMemoryMax(768)
    SetMTMode(6,0) # change MT mode
    # load needed plugins & scripts
    LoadPlugin("A:\avisynthPlugins\LoadDll.dll")
    LoadPlugin("A:\avisynthPlugins\DGDecodeNV.dll")
    LoadPlugin("A:\avisynthPlugins\TIVTC.dll")
    LoadPlugin("A:\avisynthPlugins\vinverse.dll")
    LoadPlugin("A:\avisynthPlugins\mt_masktools-26.dll")
    LoadPlugin("A:\avisynthPlugins\RepairSSE2.dll")
    LoadPlugin("A:\avisynthPlugins\Deen.dll")
    LoadPlugin("A:\avisynthPlugins\RemoveGrainSSE2.dll")
    LoadPlugin("A:\avisynthPlugins\aWarpSharp.dll")
    LoadPlugin("A:\avisynthPlugins\dfttest.dll")
    LoadPlugin("A:\avisynthPlugins\nnedi3.dll")
    LoadDll("A:\avisynthPlugins\libfftw3f-3.dll")
    Import("A:\avisynthPlugins\Dehalo_alpha_mt.avsi")
    Import("A:\avisynthPlugins\EdgeCleaner.avs")
    Import("A:\avisynthPlugins\daa.avs")
    Import("A:\avisynthPlugins\Hysteria.avsi")
    # loading source
    DGSource(dgi="H:\Temp\3226989393mpg_deb1536f480475f7d593219aa1afd74c_14604.dgi",fieldop=0)
    RequestLinear(rlim=50,clim=50)
    # deinterlacing
    SetMTMode(2) # change MT mode
    TFM()
    TDecimate()
    # filtering
    vinverse(sstr=2.7,amnt=255,uv=3,scl=0.25)
    # dehaloing
    DeHalo_alpha_mt(rx=2,ry=2,darkstr=1,brightstr=1,highsens=50,lowsens=50,ss=1.5) # these are the defaults
    EdgeCleaner(strength=8,rep=true,rmode=17,smode=0,hot=false,fix=true) # these are the defaults
    # denoising
    dfttest(Y=true,U=true,V=true,ftype=0,sigma=16,sigma2=16,swin=0,twin=7) # these are the defaults
    # anti-aliasing
    daa()
    # line darkening
    Hysteria(lowthresh=6,highthresh=20,showmask=false,strength=1,usemask=true,luma_cap=192,maxchg=255,minchg=0) # these are the defaults
    return last
    doesn't seem to produce any obvious problems,...
    -> simply asking for improved quality without telling people what you perceive as a problem doesn't really do much good.
    Since quality is a subjective thing, unless you see a problem the output is fine. (don't see a reason to upload a file)
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks but currently my pc in need of repair!
    can you please upload the output file of your script?
    It won't be a pain for you since it's a small file!
    I can learn a bit through that as well thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I can read that script and can see that it's unnecessarily complicated (explicitly importing avsis?), unless you set avisynth up in an odd way most of it is just .

I believe the point of his post is on the bottom.

Almost every filter you run on a video destroys detail and in fact DECREASES QUALITY in absolute terms. What you're asking for is a series of filters to make your video more watchable, but watchable is subjective. I tend to over-process my animation and even I can see where I've destroyed details, I prefer it that way, some people wouldn't.

Is there some detail in your final file that you find annoying? Tell us what it is and we'll give you ideas on how to fix it, but keep in mind that the fix may be worse than the original problem.
    Last edited by ndjamena; 2nd Feb 2014 at 04:23.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by ndjamena View Post
    I can read that script and can see that it's unnecessarily complicated (explicitly importing avsis?), unless you set avisynth up in an odd way most of it is just trash.
    I'd be very careful if I were you. Yes, if you allow AviSynth to be installed where it wants one doesn't need all those LoadPlugins lines and the importing of the AVSI functions. However, I do it exactly the same way and there can be several reasons for that.

He's making clear all the filters needed. Some of the DLLs need other DLLs to work and if they aren't all shown it can be difficult for the person being instructed to figure out what's wrong when the script doesn't open in VDub. Sometimes DLLs won't load automatically for one reason or another and it can be hell to find out what's going on. I just find it much easier for my own template scripts to use LoadPlugin and Import lines for everything that's needed. And they're in his 'A' drive which may not be where AviSynth is going to look for them if you want to load everything automatically.

Selur knows more about AviSynth than either you or I will ever know, is the creator of the Hybrid encoding program, has been a long time and very helpful contributer at Doom9 and for a lesser time here, and knows exactly what he's doing. Maybe it's just me, but I find calling it 'trash' both crude and ignorant.

When I looked at the sample I didn't think it needed much of anything besides an IVTC, but maybe that's also just me.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yes, I understand why he does it like that but it would confuse the hell out of anyone who wasn't unaccustomed to avisynth. Using the basic built in method of activating filters any noobie would be using all that is unnecessary. I'm not dissing him at all, he said in his post that he just grabbed a script and threw it up there, yet the OP seems to think that it was relevant somehow. He's not getting it.

I've deleted the word trash but can't think of a better word replace it...

And yes, I need to be careful, I was focused too much on the OP.
    Last edited by ndjamena; 2nd Feb 2014 at 04:35.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Thanks but currently my pc in need of repair!
    can you please upload the output file of your script?
    will do once you tell us:
    a. what wasn't good about your output
    b. what filtering you used
    c. what you think needs filtering in the source

-----

about the loading of plugins&co in scripts:
    a. auto loading in avisynth is a two edged sword, on one side it helps to autoload stuff, but on the otherside it can cause problems if users blindly extract stuff into the plugins folder and they get autoloaded. If you for example simply extract the RemoveGrain-package into the plugins folder you got multiple versions of the same plugin which all export the same functions, so if Avisynth loads them crashes are bound to happen since it's not always clear which version of the dll should be used.
    b. I prefer to manually load plugins to have a better understandling what dlls are used and what not

------

that written, the main problem here is that the topic starter still hasn't mentioned what he doesn't like about the source and thus throwing filters at it might change stuff which is not really a problem for the starter.

When I looked at the sample I didn't think it needed much of anything besides an IVTC, but maybe that's also just me.
    agreed; first thought there would be some strange interlacing (like so often with anime), but a simple IVTC and some small cleanup with vinverse seems to have cleaned up everything.

Cu Selur
    Quote Quote  
  8. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    The only thing I see that could stand fixing in the sample from post #1 is some banding in flat areas.
    Last edited by sanlyn; 19th Mar 2014 at 08:29.
    Quote Quote  
  9. there's also some blocking if you look frame-by-frame at it, but it doesn't really matter much during normal playback,..
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    actually if you guys send me a fixed video with the avs script you guys used i can learn!
    I'm not getting extra ordinary quality over it!
    Just normal fixed one!
    But I'd like to see a tremendous encode which makes the source much sharper and like in HD quality!
    I need some one's example encoding file with a script!
    Please encode the source i gave and teach me!
    Quote Quote  
  11. Since it sounds like you don't know much about filtering anime to begin with.
    Assuming you know your way around Avisynth (if not read and try the Avisynth getting started pages), you might want to read:
    Scintilla's Guide to AVISynth Postprocessing Filters
    Improving Visual Quality with AviSynth Filters
    to get a general idea about what typical problems appear with anime content and how one can deal with them.
    If you know the technical terms and can't figure out how to fix a specific problem you will probably find a lot of help here, but since this is not a 'School for Video-Post-Processing' and people post here in there free time I doubt anyone is willed to explain stuff when it looks like you are not willing to invest some time&effort yourself.

Also video post processing is not something you can learn and understand if your PC doesn't work since you need to see what happens if you change parameters and how theses changes influence the output.

Please encode the source i gave and teach me!
    start with reading the sites I linked to and if they start to high, google for avisynth and 'getting started' there are a bunch of simple guides which are ment to teach people the basics of avisynth.

-> fix our pc, read up on the basics, try to understand the script I posted, post if you have specific questions, but don't assume people will spend their time and trying to improve the quality of something when it's not even clear what measurement defines if they are doing things right or wrong.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by Suwadith View Post
    Maybe if you told us the script you used and what you thought was wrong with the result, more informed help could be provided.
    But I'd like to see a tremendous encode which makes the source much sharper and like in HD quality!
    It's a DVD. Forget about HD quality.
    I need some one's example encoding file with a script!
    Try the script provided and judge for yourself. Afterwards remove or adjust the filters that you don't think are helping. Read the documents included with each filter so you can teach yourself what they do and how to use them more effectively. No one here can tell you what will look best for you. You'll learn the most by experimenting. God helps those that help themselves, as we say here in the West. And no one likes to help anyone that wants everything given to him and isn't willing to read, learn, and experiment.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Suwadith View Post
    actually if you guys send me a fixed video with the avs script you guys used i can learn!
    Just normal fixed one!
    The portions of the quote that I've italicized above state the owner's request more succinctly. Typically, those who are new to video processing want standard definition video to look like high definition (which won't happen, especially if one doesn't understand that the major difference between standard definition and high definition is resolution, not sharpness). They somehow feel that over sharpening, over saturating. and pumping contrast will simulate that difference. None of those techniques will look "normal", but there are plenty of filters available if that's what you want.
    Last edited by sanlyn; 19th Mar 2014 at 08:29.
    Quote Quote