VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    hello all,
    I have a client with a 2 hour plus .wmv video recorder on a Microsoft lifecam 1080 and recorder in software ms lifecam ver 3.60.253.0 on a W7 home premium SP1 Samsung R540 laptop that is only playing 12 minutes of the 2 hour video in Windows Media Player ver12.0.7601.18150. It plays on several different machines but only the same 12 minutes.

Under details of the clip- length is 2:18:07- frame width 640-frame height 360 - data rate 1645kbps- total bitrate 1805kbps- 30 frames/second and file size is 163mb.

I've tried re-encoding in squeeze with error "file not supported" tried adobe media encoder error "the source file has a bad header. please check that it is a valid file." and TMPGEnc"file is not editable"
    I used HostDime to repair the clip but only got the 12 mins that play in wmp.

Are there any other programs that would help bring back or rebuild the other 2 hours that are missing? Any where to try and find any temp or back up files from LifeCam?

thanks Aaron
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    163mb for 2 hours at almost 2mbps doesn't sound right.

According to my calculations, 12 minutes worth of video with a 1805kbps bitrate would need approximately 162450KBPS, which is, sadly about 163MB.

One program told you the header is wrong, it's possible it's trying to tell you the header thinks the file is longer than it actually is.

Either that or the bitrate is wrong, but the evidence suggests otherwise.

Are there any programs that can invent video that doesn't exist, we can always dream!

See if you can play it in VLC, in the 'media information' option in the 'tools' menu there is a 'statistics' tab, watch that while you play the video, if that says the bitrate is around 1805kbps the extra video doesn't exist and you're pretty much screwed.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Bitrate Viewer is another way to see the bitrate.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    In VLC it only shows the clip is 12:32 not the 2 hour plus in WMP. In Windows Live Movie Maker is shows the whole 2:18:07:20 clip but after the 12:32 is just a still frame.

Anyone have experience dealing with bad files from Microsoft LifeCam??
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Like I've been trying to say, there IS nothing after 12:32, that's where the file ends. The header say's there's 2 hours worth which is throwing some programs off. If you're really intent on looking for the rest of the video, search the hard drive of origin for any file that may be large enough to hold 2 hours worth of video with an approximate bitrate of about 1805kbps.

There might be a temp somewhere.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    At the very least, will you please check the running bitrate like I told you to, that will at least tell us if there's something more going on.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Code:
    Format : Matroska 
    Format version : Version 4 / Version 2 
    File size : 643 MiB 
    Duration : 43mn 3s 
    Overall bit rate : 2 089 Kbps 
    Movie name : Buffy the Vampire Slayer - 03x01 - Anne
    One episode of Buffy, it runs for 43 minutes with a bitrate of 2089 Kbps for a final file size of 643MB

According to your original post, your video has a bitrate of 1805kbps, not that much lower than the Buffy episode, and a final file size of 163mb, 1/4 of the size of Buffy. Even without exact calculations you have to see that with those two numbers your video must be much shorter than the Buffy episode.

Either you gave the wrong bitrate, you gave the wrong file size or the shorter of the durations you've given must be correct.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    here is what I got when ran it threw bite rate viewer. I'm starting the search for temp files on the laptop that recorded the file.Click image for larger version

Name:	bitrate_viewer.JPG
Views:	433
Size:	41.9 KB
ID:	23266
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Here are the detailsName:  detials.JPG
Views: 547
Size:  29.0 KB
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Using a standard bit-rate calculator, the video/audio would require a final file size of 1783 mb at the quoted data-rates.

At the reported filesize you would only have video at 5 kbps and no player could handle that unless you just capture occasional frames.

I assume that the video does play back 'normally' ie e.g not fast.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yes the video plays back fine, not fast for the 12:33. I have done some test with the camera and laptop that recorded the file and a video that is 2:06:00 is around 1.4 gigs so the file is definitely not all there per file size. So I'm searching for temp or hidden files but not finding anything so far.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    And if you did those tests on the same laptop you have probably ruined the remotest chance you had to recover any of the missing file.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The laptop had already recorded several videos in the same app after the bad file was recorded prior to me getting my hands on it.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It was a long shot anyway.
    Quote Quote