VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,

I'm trying to display video from a laptop on a TV using one of these converters:
    http://brain.pan.e-merchant.com/0/0/12095800/l_12095800.jpg

I'm using a Asus X54C laptop with Windows 7. It used to work fine but then, all of the sudden, it stopped working. Actually it does work, but the laptop goes through this endless cycle of 'black screen -> good image -> black screen -> good image ' that renders it useless.

The TV image shows the same thing I see on the laptop. If only I convinced windows to stop doing that, everything would be ok.

I know the converter works (I actually have 2 of them, one of them brand new) and they do work perfectly on another laptop. It's not a TV related problem either, since I've tried it with several devices.

So, every piece on the setup used to work flawlessly. The converter works with another PC. It must be a Windows 7 problem, right? (the other laptop is running Vista).

Can anyone please help me sort this one out? I need to use that setup this friday...

One more thing: the converter gets its power from the laptop, through USB. I've tried feeding those 5 volts to the converter without using the PC, but that doesn't seem to work. At least I haven't made it work yet.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Does the laptop work correctly if you disconnect the converter?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yep. All I have to do is unplug the USB cable that powers the converter and everything goes back to normal. Hence the idea of trying to get the power elsewhere...
    Quote Quote  
  4. Have you tried different resolutions and refresh rates?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Since the image goes into that insane cycle I really have no access to either the laptop screen or the TV screen, to be able to access the converter's menu, where all those options are buried. But I do know that the device works, on that other Vista laptop, with the exact same settings.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I was able to get the converter to work by getting the USB power from another PC! What the hell does this indicate? Something wrong with both my laptop USB ports?!

I still need to figure out how to make my laptop power the converter though.

I uploaded a short video of what happens when I try connecting the converter to the laptop:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rk7s-ZSvqQ0

What you see on the laptop screen also appears on the TV, so the converter does its job, it's just that Windows goes nuts and renders the whole thing useless.

When I disconnect the converter USB cable, windows goes back to normal, but there's no image on TV since the converter has no power.

So, found a work around but I'm still trying to figure it out and solve the problem.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If powers the issue ... The device draws very little in mAh consider buying one of the external usb drive Y power cables to use two usb ports to power the device. You may need a gender changer to connect the two together.

From what I can tell from the video the laptop is switching back to default output display ... usually thats due to it not being able to sense the external display. Try in display options setup clone or mirror modes
    Last edited by Bjs; 30th Jan 2014 at 06:14.
    Quote Quote  
  8. You have a software problem. If the device was simply getting power from the USB port you would not hear that PNP connect/disconnect sound. I would try a System Restore to a date before you started having these problems.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If it's just a software problem then why does it work when I power the converter through another PC's USB port?
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by some_guy View Post
    If it's just a software problem then why does it work when I power the converter through another PC's USB port?
    Because PNP isn't detecting the device and the devices software isn't resetting the graphics card.
    Quote Quote