VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,
    I have some segments of video on the camera sd card. I downloaded these on to the computer
    and using virtual dub joined the segments into one avi movie.
    I checked the video on stereoscopic player,and the side by side stream was fine,the 3D
    very good. I then used G-spot to check the codecs etc. were not altered from the original avi
    segments on the S D card. The only difference was the user/metadata....changed to virtual dub.
    All other parameters were identical.
    Now,the down loaded avi segments were put back onto the sd card,and they played ok by the
    camera,and could be connected to a projector via Optoma hardware,and worked just fine. The camera,
    however,could not read the larger joined avi movie put back onto the sd card.As far as the camera is concerned the file did not exist!
    I would like to use the camera to play back edited video .....so where is the problem. Your help would be appreciated.
    Note,the camera is a very simple DXG-5F9V 1080p 3D and 2D Camcorder. It does NOT have associated editing
    software.
    thanks.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Sorry, I particularly don't trust Gspot for newest codec info (and even less so for stereo3d stuff).

Post a MEDIAINFO text copy of a single, original clip straight off the camera.
    Then, post a text copy of one of your Vdub-combined clips.
    May possibly need to upload a sample short cam clip.

Can't help much further until actually getting to the bottom of how the cam truly lays out the file.

Of course, could also be due to the particular way that the DXG formats the card/folders (might need an index/thumb, or TOC...).

Do a screencap of an ISOBuster 3.x read of your card's root.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi....I cannot get Isobuster to read the sd card. However,I am sending the info from mediainfo.......
    MedianA avi .jpg x2 relates to the original video clip. mediainB avi.jpg relates to the avi after processing in
    virtual dub. I have also sent the original avi fragment.
    The SD card is a standard Maxim Class c4 4GB memory card. Note,I also uploaded the G spot info.
    Thanks.
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	mediain A avi.jpg
Views:	333
Size:	103.6 KB
ID:	23255  

Click image for larger version

Name:	medianA avi.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	94.9 KB
ID:	23256  

Name:	mediainB avi.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	109.4 KB
ID:	23257  

Name:	mediainB  avi.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	99.0 KB
ID:	23258  

Name:	gspot1.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	218.4 KB
ID:	23260  

Name:	gspot2.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	222.7 KB
ID:	23261  

Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Do me a favor:

As a test, download your "File0002.AVI" (don't use your original, use a copy that has been downloaded from this site's upload). Add it to a BLANK, REFORMATTED SD card (that has been formatted by the cam, not by a PC).
    Does it play? If NO, then either your export process is faulty or the cam doesn't like files added without some other kind of index/thumb/TOC info.
    If it DOES play, next download the file I am uploading. It is the exact same file as yours, except the "writing library" info ("AMBAx") has been zeroed out in a hex editor. IOW, no other info has changed and the file is EXACTLY the same size. Swap it with the original onto the same clean SD card.
    Does IT play? If no, and the other file played, you know for certain that the cam is checking the writing library to see if it is "one of it's own".
    If it DOES play, troubleshooting will be more complicated, because it means that other, possibly multiple factors are being checked.

Of course, it could have something to do with how you JOINED the file in Vdub. I assume you used direct stream copy mode (for both V and A streams). Anything else would be more severely modifying the file.

As stated before, a peak into the formatted file structure of the SD card might yield some clues also (hence the request for the ISOBuster screencap).

Scott
    Image Attached Files
    Last edited by Cornucopia; 30th Jan 2014 at 17:34.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi again,
    well ,I formatted the card in the camera and put the original in the dcm file and uploaded it to the SD card.
    It played back.I formatted the card again and uploaded your hex edit avi. to a dcm file.It would not play.
    As a test I uploaded the original avi into the same file as the hex. The original was recognised and played.
    Again I formatted the card and placed a copy of the original into the appropriate file and it was recognised.
    I checked the properties of a new video,and a copy passed through Vdub,and it had over tripled in size
    from 6.9Mb to 27.8mb...not increasing the length of the video or its appearance and quality.
    So if the VDUB copy was an avi with the same structure and codecs etc....where did all these MBs come from.
    This is probably the reason the cam will not recognise it???
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Just a quick note.....using the avisynth,or V dub programs more and more, I have arrived at processed videos
    exactly the same size,resolution,format and with identical codecs. The original was loaded into the correct SD card file
    with the best processed video,and an unprocessed copy. Only the original and the copy were visible to the camera.
    So,something that processing adds/takes away makes the otherwise identical video invisible!!!
    I do not suppose now that we will ever be able to locate the cause
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    This tells me at least 5 things:

1. You don't seem to truly pay attention to what I've been trying to tell you.
    2. You have a bit to learn regarding troubleshooting, video formats & Virtualdub
    3. If you reformatted your SD card AND copied the uploaded-then-downloaded copy of your original file back onto the card, and it PLAYED OK, yet doing so with my copy DOESN'T PLAY, that means specifically only one thing: Your cam needs to see the "Writing Library" field = "AMBAx".
    This is a good thing because it could mean an easy fix. If you knew of a known good file (correct parameters, etc), all you would have to do is hexedit the writing lib to read what it needs. Would be even easier & safer if you had a RIFF container editor, unfortunately ABCavi (the best & most well-known AVI RIFF tag editor) doesn't support that field.
    4. While we still haven't gotten the full info from you, I can at least gather that your SD card's main media files are located in a DCIM (or DCM?) folder. Further structural info may give more clues, so could you give us that info?
    5. Anytime you process with Virtualdub, you are no longer doing just a direct stream copy, and if you didn't specify the codec particulars, THAT is why it is more MB (it chose "Uncompressed" or something). If one does no processing, AND makes sure to set the mode to DSC, your filesizes (for the same length) should be nearly IDENTICAL.

Scott

Note: the "Writing Library" field exists in the JUNK chunk, and so the actual necessary formatting of the field is proprietary, and may require more than just those few characters to be changed.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi.....you are right in a way,I am completely new to all this. I have only been involved with this sort of thing for a few days.
    Thats why,during my research,I came here.I did take complete notice of what you said,however. I simply repeated many steps over and over to reduce mistakes. The increase in MBs in virtual dub at first,I still cannot fathom. Of course I used DSC,at all times,or the file size increase would have been gargantuan...... uncompressed. My conclusion was identical to yours...that the camera added
    to/or removed/or needed something that was altered by vd. .....in your words needed to see the AMBAx. I know zero about such things
    The formatted card showed a DCIM file only. After a video clip is made,it was store in a file called 100media within the DCIM main file.
    It was into the 100media file that I added the externally treated and copied videos,where only the copied videos were read.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Bye the way,I noted that riffpad showed a large difference between the original and vdubbed videos.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Please try to use the correct terms: I'm pretty sure you mean that DCIM and 100Media are "folders" not "files".

Here is my take on what you just described:
    Name:  DXG_folderStructure.gif
Views: 692
Size:  2.9 KB
    Is this correct?

If so, yes that is where you should put them. Are there ANY OTHER files and/or folders created when either?:
    1. Formatting a fresh card, or
    2. Recording new camera footage

If you get a hex editor, you should be able to do a replacement/overwrite of the "Writing Library" field, such that it reads "AMBAx". That MAY be all that is needed. However, if it did NOT play after loading back into the camera, something else (or in addition) is at play here.

There are other, perhaps better in this situation, options for losslessly joining clips besides Vdub. AVIMux-GUI, AVIDemux and Solveign AVI Trimmer come to mind.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yes...folders. I think I have taken up enough of your time with this.I am a dental surgeon,not a computer/software/electronics
    expert. I you need any advice in my expertise just ask Thanks for trying to help.

Gordon.
    Quote Quote