VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. newfielander
    Search Comp PM
    Guys I'm trying to find a neutral site concerning which computer to purchase. I will be using the computer for editing ONLY.Which choice should I go with?
    http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Apple-iMac-21-5-Desktop-ME087LL-A-September-2013-Latest-Model-/...a492a59&_uhb=1

Or rebuild my HP 002Blackbird keeping only the liquid cooling system and the power supply which is a Topower Powerbird TOP-1100W, and use these parts
    http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/user/newfielander/saved/3yj8

Thanks for everyones input.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    you really have to ask?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    depends on if you are a guy with a cutesy little pony tail or not.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  4. the pc can probably run Mac OS X faster in a VM than, the iMac you selected can,...
    Quote Quote  
  5. newfielander
    Search Comp PM
    Deadrats that's why made the post. aedipuss I'm a hunter, I kill for a living and edited video,without a ponytail,LONG WAYS FROM IT!! So can you give me a more mature answer,please?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If you need Thunderbolt support for some reason you almost have to get a Mac.
    Quote Quote  
  7. newfielander
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    If you need Thunderbolt support for some reason you almost have to get a Mac.
    I don't need thunderbolt
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    A Windows machine offers you more choices for hardware and software, including the opportunity to get a faster CPU, and to use better cooling. The choice comes down to your own need for OSX-only software and codecs, and whether you often need to work with others who use an OSX-centric workflow.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 29th Jan 2014 at 16:44. Reason: grammar
    Quote Quote  
  9. And I suspect for lots less money than any apple product.
    Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence -Carl Sagan
    Quote Quote  
  10. Mac's have limited video editing capabilities out of the box, quicktime is favored, you have to make sure your source material is compatible otherwise you'll have to look for third party support. If you plan on making bluray discs you will need FCP and an external burner. PC's are much more flexible when it comes to CODEC support, there are many quality freeware available and more advanced commercial software can be had for less money.

On the hardware side, Imacs are a nightmare to repair compared to a PC. There isn't much more to say here as the hardware is pretty much the same for both; Apple can't claim to have the superior CPU anymore and as far as the build quality goes it depends on the supplier.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    As someone who has worked with both, I can tell you that EVERYTHING is harder to do on a Mac. Yes you can do editing on a Mac, but your choices will always be limited and if some program doesn't do what you want, there will likely be no alternative. On Windows if one program doesn't do what you want, you can find another. Except for memory (with some possible constraints) or adding external devices via USB or Thunderbolt, you're stuck with what you buy if you get a Mac with no way to upgrade. The simpler your computing needs are, the more likely a Mac can meet them.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    For any media use windows is far preferable. There are just way more tools available.

I don't dislike macs. The OS is unix derived, which right there makes it superior to windows, and they're quite nice general purpose machines. The security is way better than windows as well. But for video, no.
    Quote Quote