VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi!
    Thankfully, some rare movies in foreign languages are sometimes uploaded to YouTube. When you don't speak the language that well, you try subtitles. Only, this works only if you have the movie in one file. But, as is often the case, people load up 10 minute fragments. When you try to stick them together again, they don't always match neatly together. That puts the movie and the subs out of sync. In case of missing frames, it's gonna involve too much work to adjust the subtitles. But, in case of overlapping frames, there should be a way of eliminating those frames that occur twice in a video. Is there such a method in any (preferrably free) video editing program?
    Last edited by OddTheodora; 29th Jan 2014 at 05:33.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by OddTheodora View Post
    But, in case of overlapping frames, there should be a way of eliminating those frames that occur twice in a video. Is there such a method in any (preferrably free) video editing program?
    You're talking about where one part ends and the next begins? There might be some frames in common at the end of one part and the beginning of the next? If so, you can trim off the excess frames. AviSynth can do it easily. It'll require reencoding the entire thing, though, and trimming the audio as well. There's still no guarantee that the subs (which I assume you downloaded from somewhere) will match up.

Maybe there are programs that can 'smart render' (only reencode at those cut points and not the entire video) the FLVs and MP4s from YouTube, but someone else will have to suggest one.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Alternate the clips on two tracks and "eyeball" the overlaps so they're seamless.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Alright, I'm gonna try that out.
    I'm OddTheodora. I'm open for everyone, and I'm for free.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Little late reply here but I use a player that accepts AVISynth and stack the 2 videos and then frame by frame advance to check PotPlayer works great but others also work). If you use something like:

v1=DirectShowSource("C:\Users\Bud\Desktop\VHS2DVD\ whamout.mp4")
    v2=DirectShowSource("C:\Users\Bud\Desktop\VHS2DVD\ whamouttrunc.mp4")
    stackvertical(v2, v1)
    Subtitle("whamouttrunc.mp4", font="Arial", size=24, text_color=$ff0000, align=9)
    Subtitle("whamout.mp4", font="Arial", size=24, text_color=$ff0000, align=3)
    ShowFrameNumber(scroll=true, x=10, y=27, font="Arial", size=24, text_color=$ff0000)
    ShowTime(x=72, y=44, font="Arial", size=24, text_color=$ff0000)
    ShowSMPTE(fps=30, x=68, y=61, font="Arial", size=24, text_color=$ff0000)

You will see as below. Notice the Arrow showing Video whamouttrunc.mp4 is .066ms ahead because it is 2 frames shorter (Hence the TRUNCated name. I cut 2 frames off.)

Click image for larger version

Name:	ScreenHunter_56 Feb. 04 10.29.jpg
Views:	302
Size:	94.5 KB
ID:	23368
    Quote Quote