VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I just got a VC 500 to use to convert my old VHS tapes to DVD. I was able to install and capture a few VHS tapes so far. So far so good. However, I would also like to capture old LPs and cassette tapes. I read a review that said I could do this as long as my turntable and tape player had red/white ports to connect with the VC 500 converter unit. I tried both the EZGrabber and the ArcSoft Showbiz programs. The EZGrabber has an option to record in WMA, but nothing recorded. The Showbiz program doesn't seem to have an option to record audio alone at all. Do I need another software to work with the converter unit? I would also like to do this to overlay some better music onto my old family VHS tapes when I convert them. Is this possible?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I'm not sure how to record audio from a USB capture stick without capturing video at the same time.

But you can capture blank video set to a low bitrate and separate the audio out after. Ideally you would capture in a format that keeps the audio in uncompressed PCM.

Originally Posted by moogooch View Post
    I would also like to do this to overlay some better music onto my old family VHS tapes when I convert them. Is this possible?
    Yes, but it would be more precise and arguably easier to capture the music in a separate step and then add it to the video with free editing software.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm trying to hook the VC500 converter gizmo from the turntable or cassette tape deck directly to my laptop with a red and white RCA cable. The EZGrabber has an option to record in WMA format, but the Showbiz software doesn't have any option for just audio. I'm thinking maybe I can capture from my turntable with the converter gizmo if I find some other capture software that captures audio?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Do you have a VCR, DVD player, etc. handy? It could be that the VC500 requires an active video signal in order to digitize audio.

You would hook up the video source, turn it on, and just leave it there on the menu screen while the audio cables are connected to your turntable.

The software that many of us prefer to use is VirtualDub, but you can't capture audio alone with it.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I think this might work. I've tried a few short audio bits, and there seems to be a sequence of hooking up the VCR, opening the program and choosing the recording mode that needs to be right. First it worked, then it indicated it was recording but didn't, then it did. The first attempt was recording in WMV, but it saved the file in WMA. Will try to get the sequence down, then will report back. Thanks vaporeon800 for the help!
    Back again. Unfortunately, it looks like it doesn't work. I can capture only a few KB of audio before recording fails, even though the light blinks as if it's recording. Any other suggestions, or am I out of luck?
    Last edited by moogooch; 30th Jan 2014 at 13:48.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I use to do this all the times with tapes and lps and i can help you out. Its simple. You just need a few wires. You need to put a Y audio cable.

1.You need a regular red and white wire. Plug that into what you need to do.
    2.Connect the audio cable to the Y audio cable.
    3.Use any program that will let you record just audio alone. By pluging the end of the y cable into your laptop headphone jack.

If you have any questions feel free to ask.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Headphone jack generally isn't a good idea, because of the AGC that they often utilize, being intended for voice only.

Line-in jack would be fine with the RCA to 3.5mm adapter you describe.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well I downloaded Audacity, which seemed to have a good reputation, and plugged my turntable into my computer via RCA red/white to 1/8" audio jack. My Lenovo ideapad has just a single audio jack that from what I've read is both microphone and headphone. Audacity detected a signal, but no sound. Then I plugged the VC500 into the turntable, again RCA red/white to USB port. Signal detected, no sound. (I had activated software playthrough feature before my first attempt). My Lenovo has 3 USB ports -- 2 are 3.0 and one is 2.0 -- and I tried all 3. Nothing. Any other thoughts?
    Quote Quote