VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi!

For the purpose of adding English subtitles, I ripped one of my DVDs to a Matroska file (mkv). After having ripped the DVD with MakeMKV, I added English .srt subtitles with mkvmerge GUI. Latter program displayed some information about the formatting of the subtitles. The native subtitles (ripped from the DVD) were displayed as "VobSub", whereas my added subtitles were identified as "SubRip/SRT". However, the program didn't give me any error messages, and also MPC-HC plays the video just fine. However, it seems as if my Samsung TV can't handle the subtitles correctly. The native subtitles are displayed with the wrong typeface, and far too small. The added English subtitles are displayed with the correct (usual) typeface, only the subtitles are abbreviated after 10 characters or so! So only short sentences and beginnings of long sentences. I reckon this is the result of non-standard formatting that the TV can't handle - MPC-HC is probably more versatile and so it doesn't show there. I guess I have somehow to reformat my subtitles in order to get them displayed in a normal fashion?

Thanks!
    Last edited by OddTheodora; 28th Jan 2014 at 13:05.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    SubRip/SRT is a text only subtitle format. It's not possible to put formatting or font information in them. People just assume that when they buy a TV that the TV's media player will play everything perfectly, but honestly most players are crap and have tons of limitations. I suspect that you will not be able to do much in your situation, but the book that came with the TV should tell you if specific things are necessary for subtitles when using the media player.

Many of our veteran members have standalone media players like Western Digital or other models because TV players are crappy and have too many problems likes yours.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well, the TV actually played another MKV file perfectly, so I assume it's got something to do with my particular file. The TV also handles mere srt files perfectly, that is if you have something like video.mp4 and video.srt.

Edit: I just rechecked, and it seems as if only a couple of sentences were wrong, the subs are generally displayed correctly (at least the English ones). This doesn't solve the problem in general, but at least I can now watch the movie as intended.

But to come back to what you said, yes, I also just connect my laptop if the TV is too much of a pain to play media.
    Last edited by OddTheodora; 28th Jan 2014 at 13:37.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    You are missing my point. My point is that I'm sure your file would play fine on a dedicated media player.

Yes, of course there is SOMETHING that is causing this particular file to have problems, but the question is whether or not you can identify what that something is and if you are going to have to modify every file you ever try to play on this stupid TV to get them to play like you want.

TV media players are known to have limitations. The limitations in your case might include MKV subtitles not being displayed correctly. I am done because I cannot tell you what your limitations are.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by OddTheodora View Post
    Hi!

For the purpose of adding English subtitles, I ripped one of my DVDs to a Matroska file (mkv). After having ripped the DVD with MakeMKV, I added English .srt subtitles with mkvmerge GUI. Latter program displayed some information about the formatting of the subtitles. The native subtitles (ripped from the DVD) were displayed as "VobSub", whereas my added subtitles were identified as "SubRip/SRT". However, the program didn't give me any error messages, and also MPC-HC plays the video just fine. However, it seems as if my Samsung TV can't handle the subtitles correctly. The native subtitles are displayed with the wrong typeface, and far too small. The added English subtitles are displayed with the correct (usual) typeface, only the subtitles are abbreviated after 10 characters or so! So only short sentences and beginnings of long sentences. I reckon this is the result of non-standard formatting that the TV can't handle - MPC-HC is probably more versatile and so it doesn't show there. I guess I have somehow to reformat my subtitles in order to get them displayed in a normal fashion?

Thanks!
    The "native" subtitles from the DVD are actually graphics, so the font size and typeface would be the same as if you were watching the DVD. Neither mkvmerge GUI nor the TV can change the typeface. However, from your description, it appears that perhaps the TV does not enlarge the subtitles to match the size of the video.

Most TV media players can only handle SRT subtitles correctly as a separate file, not muxed into a .mkv.

You need to check your TV's manual to find out subtitle format is recommended for mkv files, and whether the subtitles should be muxed into the mkv or provided as a separate file.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    @jman98: I know exactly what you mean, I just said those things for the record. Still, it's just convenient to plug in a USB stick and press play without having to bother with other software, platforms etc. having to be connected to the TV, so sometimes it's worth the effort to "refine" a file to be played by a Not-So-Smart-TV. I'll just have to see whether the TV will cause any more trouble or not.

Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    However, from your description, it appears that perhaps the TV does not enlarge the subtitles to match the size of the video.
    That's it! The characters are squeezed almost beyond recognition. 720x596 native video resolution (anamorphic) vs. 1920x1080 viewing resolution. Luckily, I don't need the native subs in this case.

So thanks to you two, I learned something!
    Last edited by OddTheodora; 28th Jan 2014 at 13:50.
    Quote Quote