VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    I've been using the zip version of MPHC as long as I can remember, and all I've ever done is unzip it into a folder, click the clip I want to watch, and it works.

Just now, though I tried the new version (1.7.2), and when I clicked on an mp4 clip, the program opened, but the clip didn't start.

Then I opened the program using my desktop shortcut and tried to start a clip. This time I got sound, but the video window stayed black.

I only set it up on one computer, so I looked at another machine that has the previous version to see if I had changed any settings. I wasn't able to find anything.

I erased the folder with the new version, put the old one back, and everything's fine.

I really don't know much about these things and would appreciate it if someone can tell me what the problem might be.

If it's of any relevance, the machine I'm having the problem on is Win XP SP3 (32 bit) with all updates and the very latest version of ffdshow. As I've said, the previous version 1.7.0.5858 works fine.

Thanks for your help.
    Lenovo ThinkStation P520, Xeon W2135; Win10Pro x64, 64Gb RAM; RadeonPro WX7100W; NEC PA301W, NEC PA272W, and Eizo MX270W.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Not sure. I installed 1.7.1 a few days ago, that worked OK.
    Try downloading and using the version with the installer.

I noticed that since it's using the LAV filters now, perhaps they need to be registered?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    @ davexnet -> Thanks for your reply.

After trying the 1.7.2 installer unsuccessfully, I uninstalled it and set up the zip version of 1.7.1, which worked.

Then, on a hunch, I extracted the zip version of the 1.7.2 .exe file over 1.7.1. It worked, too.

Finally, to be really adventurous, I extracted the file mpciconlib.dll over the version from 1.7.1.

Everything's fine now with the new version, but don't ask me why it didn't work the first time.
    Lenovo ThinkStation P520, Xeon W2135; Win10Pro x64, 64Gb RAM; RadeonPro WX7100W; NEC PA301W, NEC PA272W, and Eizo MX270W.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the update - looks like you found a bug in 1.7.2.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Because settings are sometimes changed with a new version of MPC-HC, I'm in the habit of resetting it after an upgrade (from the Options/Miscellaneous menu). I only ever download the "zip" version so I just deleted the old files, copied the new ones, ran MPC-HC and reset it. Then I went through it's settings and reconfigured it again.

Maybe installing/uninstalling reset things?? Anyway, I didn't have a problem with 1.7.2 playing files (XP SP3).
    Quote Quote  
  6. Well after my previous post....
    If you're using XP, at least, it might pay to hang off upgrading MPC-HC until the next version. Version 1.7.2 does have some issues.
    https://trac.mpc-hc.org/ticket/4004
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Version 1.7.3 came out today, and there's a problem again. What's weird is that it comes up on some of my computers, but not on others. For example, the zip version worked fine on my Lenovo X60 laptop with onboard graphics, but when I set it up on my IBM MPro 9229 with a Matrox card, I was able to hear the sound, but the video was black. I've got Win XP SP3 on both.

However, after a bit of fooling around, I've localized the issue to one file -> in the LAV Filters folder -> LAVVideo.ax

When I use the one from 1.7.3. or 1.7.2 on the IBM, as I've said, the video is black. When I replaced it with the version from 1.7.1, everything's fine.

Can anyone explain - in simple terms please - what the problem is?

Thanks.

JoeG

PS On my 64-bit Win 7 machine 1.7.3 works fine.
    Quote Quote  
  8. I'm not a pro when it comes to codecs etc, but MPC-HC started to use LAV Filters as internal ones not too long ago so bugs and error can happen in-between.

Can you check with MediaInfo what codecs are in your mp4 file (probably AVC and AAC)? Double check if all Internal Codecs in MPC-HC are ticked (especially MP4/MOV Source Splitter and H264/AVC Transform Filter).

Maybe try nightly build of MPC-HC: http://nightly.mpc-hc.org/

Just in case here you have all official stable builds: http://sourceforge.net/projects/mpc-hc/files/?accel_key=72%3A1391465760%3Ahttp%253A//m...4&source=accel .

As you managed to find out the problem seems to be LAVVideo.ax . MPC-HC 1.7.2 and 1.7.3 use the same 0.60.1.5 LAV version. MPC-HC 1.7.1 uses 0.59.1.26 (You can check it -> Help -> About).

On my Win 7 Pro x64 they all work OK too with MPC-HC (as internal codecs) and my main video player PotPlayer (as external codecs). What I actually do - I copy LAV Filters from MPC folder to my external LAV Filters folder, 'cos the MPC's ones are usually newer. You can do the opposite - download an older version of LAV: http://code.google.com/p/lavfilters/downloads/list or the newest beta from this thread: http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=156191 (search for the newest one at the end of it, at the moment page 851 post #17016 by nevcairiel) and copy files to MPC folder. Leave out all the bat files if using zipped LAV.

If you've had enough of playing with them wait for advice from somebody who knows more about codecs and players or for a new, hopefully fixed version of MPC.
    Quote Quote  
  9. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Just keep use 1.7.1? Or do you miss some new features?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks to AllisOne and Baldrick.

I guess now that I know which file is causing the problem, and a "real" solution isn't easy, I'll just stick with the one I've got.

Again, thank you very much for your replies.
    Quote Quote  
  11. I'll be sticking with 1.7.1 until a version which fixes the XP fullscreen problem is released.
    Quote Quote