VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have some h264 encoded videos with AC3 audio (2.0 or 5.1). They are available in either MP4 or M2TS container files and I want to trim the ends and cut bits from the middle (i.e. remove the ads) without any transcoding, so both audio and video streams are simply 'passed thru'. I would also like the ability to add an AAC audio track so that the resultant files will play on everything I want them to play on, but I already have a way to add that later if need be so it's not vital for the editing process.

Ah, MPGStreamclip I hear you say. Well it can't do the hybrid audio thing (no biggie) but worse, it loses the entire audio track when saving, so it's useless to me until I can fix that and since no-one seems to know why this occurs and Squared5 simply don't respond, it doesn't look like getting fixed any time soon.

MP4tools looks promising ( it CAN create hybrid audio), but it's trimming process is dire. You have to manually enter the exact time for the start and end (for which you need another app to get the times) and in any case, I cannot find any way to cut sections out from the middle. Also, when playing the original video, the audio is already out of sync, before you've even tried any editing. The developer has yet to respond.

The 'paid for' apps I've looked at seem to be only concerned with video conversion which is exactly what I do NOT want and provide no option to trim and cut the files.

I hate to admit it, but there are better choices on Windows (even MPGStreamclip seems to work there) and VideoReDo looks perfect, but I'm not prepared to resort to that.

So, can anyone recommend/suggest how I can simply edit files as I need? I'm sure there must be something that can provide what seems to me to be such a basic requirement.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Maybe latest avidemux for mac. Set the video and audio to copy mode to avoid reconversion.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post
    Maybe latest avidemux for mac. Set the video and audio to copy mode to avoid reconversion.
    Yes I've got that to look at. I don't think it can create the hybrid audio, but if it allows decent cutting and trimming of the video and saves with original audio and still in sync, it'll be the only one to use.
    Quote Quote