VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello

I thought this was going to be straight forward with Subtitle Edit :

Srt : 25 fps DVD rip
    mkv : 23.976 fps blu-ray rip

I can Sync them perfectly with visual sync, but this is quite tedious work.

Why can't I just convert them with "change frame rate" option ? (25 > 23.976)
    Somehow, this just doesn't work

Thx for any suggestions!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Why doesn't it work? If you want some suggestions, provide some details.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by davexnet View Post
    Why doesn't it work? If you want some suggestions, provide some details.
    Don't know what extra details you need ...

videofile is 23.976 fps
    Subtitle is DVD PAL rip, so should be 25 fps

A simple frame rate conversion should do the trick but it doesn't ?

Visual sync works, so it's not a question of another cut / version of the video file....
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Are the subtitles out the same amount all the way through? Are they in sync at one point and drift further and further
    as the movie plays? In sync at the beginning?

I've done a few myself; it's a logical process but it can be infuriating and needs a lot of patience. These are the details I'm talking about.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Your SRT has nothing to do with frame rate - they are time based.

If they don't fit your video wether it's 23.976 or 25 fps you'll have to synchronize them.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by davexnet View Post
    Are the subtitles out the same amount all the way through? Are they in sync at one point and drift further and further
    as the movie plays? In sync at the beginning?

I've done a few myself; it's a logical process but it can be infuriating and needs a lot of patience. These are the details I'm talking about.

They are like 4 seconds early in the beginning, and waaaay off near the end (also early)

Originally Posted by videobruger View Post
    Your SRT has nothing to do with frame rate - they are time based.

If they don't fit your video wether it's 23.976 or 25 fps you'll have to synchronize them.
    I know that, but I thought the "change frame rate" option in subtitle edit adjust the timings from 25 to 23.976 based content?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You need a program where you manually set the first and last subtitles, while the program adjusts all the rest.
    Quote Quote  
  8. I know that, but I thought the "change frame rate" option in subtitle edit adjust the timings from 25 to 23.976 based content
    Yes it does. But is that your problem?

Of course you first need to set the first subtitle if it's 4 sec off. Then you could quickly check if "change framerate" brings your subtitle into sync by selecting some subtitle and "Play from just before text".

But personally I would find such an approach more tedious than merely do a "Visual sync"
    Quote Quote