VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. So I interviewed a guy for about 90 seconds on the Hero 3+ with the waterproof case on. It was with a guy who lives on the other side of the world. I didn't realize it and of course his speech and the volume were VERY muffled. I tried increasing the volume 500% and of course all the volume increased. What I really want to do is separate the interviewee's speech from the backgroup noise and just increase the interviewee's speech. Is there any popular cheap, or preferably free, software that will do that and will provide me with the ability to tweak the audio to the proper volume??
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    The freeware audio editor Audacity would be my first choice. Try the low and high pass filters and experiment with some of the other filters. You can't recover what isn't there but you can often make reductions in background noise that will make the speech clearer. And you can easily reset it to the original input if you mess it up.

And welcome to our forums.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I'm pretty sure audacity also has a noise removal filter. You analyse part of the audio containing nothing but noise, and it then removes it from the whole audio. If you try to remove too much it'll effect what's left and it won't sound natural, but it's something to try.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    The problem with the Audacity noise removal filter is that it's really best for repetitive noises, like hum or a mechanical noise. Doesn't work well with random noise for me, though I would still try it. Using the High and Low filters will kill low frequency hum and higher frequency hiss and sometimes make voices more intelligible. But it will also degrade the overall sound. Sometimes a combination of filters will help most. It's really just experimenting till it sounds better.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Multimedia storyteller bigass's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    A cut is usually better than a boost. If it's muffled and muddy, start by cutting the low frequencies. You can do away with everything under 100hz right off the bat. Start rolling off the low frequencies further until you start hearing more intelligible speech. Once it starts sounding right, you can start bringing up other frequencies to round it out and sound clearer.
    Quote Quote