VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Google Glass wearer interrogated, removed from Easton movie theater
    http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/local/2014/01/21/google-glass-at-easton-theater.html

A Hilliard man’s trip to the movies on Saturday night was cut short because of his eyewear: Google Glass.

The 35-year-old Glass wearer said he was yanked out of a showing of Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit at the AMC Theater at Easton Town Center by two Homeland Security agents who thought he might be making a bootleg copy.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Makes perfect sense to me. It says no recording devices and you're wearing one.

... Homeland Security goes to movie theatres to investigate copyright violations?

They sure pretend that isn't high on their list of priorities:
    "HSI investigates immigration crime, human rights violations and human smuggling, smuggling of narcotics, weapons and other types of contraband, financial crimes, cybercrime and export enforcement issues. ICE special agents conduct investigations aimed at protecting critical infrastructure industries that are vulnerable to sabotage, attack or exploitation."

"HSI conducts criminal investigations against terrorist and other criminal organizations who threaten national security. HSI combats worldwide criminal enterprises who seek to exploit America's legitimate trade, travel and financial systems and enforces America's customs and immigration laws at and beyond our nation's borders."

Obviously this falls under that latter sentence, but I think you'd be hard-pressed to find a person who looks at their website and thinks "guys who make sure Hollywood stays in business." Do the overseas pirates who sell cammed discs actually employ Americans to tape movies and send them over? I thought they did those locally.
    Last edited by Brad; 23rd Jan 2014 at 10:19.
    Quote Quote  
  3. The interesting thing is that there was an MPAA task force on site and they were the ones that pushed the ICE agents to detain him. They're so bent on proving that it's the customers pirating their crap they don't seem to realize it's more likely insiders doing it.
    Quote Quote  
  4. The man should of left those glasses at home and enjoyed the movie. I would imagine that any snipit of the movie captured by Google Glass would be a crapfest, complete with every noise in the theater like somebody letting a loud fart three rows down, somebody carrying on a irritating conversation when they should be watching the movie somebody chocking on some popcorn and the list goes on. It seems like a waste of Homeland Security talent and workforce to be involved in policing this kind of thing.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    [QUOTE= It seems like a waste of Homeland Security talent and workforce to be involved in policing this kind of thing.[/QUOTE]

You want to deprive a strutting little twerp the opportunity to defend his country in the front lines of the battle against hyperopic terrorists?
    Quote Quote  
  6. You know if they don't come in and do this then the potentnial for this to get out of hand grows. So nip in in the bud before it runs rampant.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by macvid View Post
    You know if they don't come in and do this then the potentnial for this to get out of hand grows. So nip in in the bud before it runs rampant.
    LMFAO!!!
    How ignorant can you be ?
    ERRR!!!!!

Yep, and they should post a full time agent to watch YOU 24/7 to make sure YOU don't endanger national security by copying your own
    music CD to an MP3 and putting it on your Ipad or Iphone, or, etc.
    Oh wait, make sure you don't get caught with an Iphone or cell phone of any kind in a movie theater!!
    You might be bootlegging and could end up in Guantanamo Bay!!!!

Originally Posted by sambat
    You want to deprive a strutting little twerp the opportunity to defend his country in the front lines of the battle against hyperopic terrorists?
    Well you know, movie theaters and google glasses is a hotbed for terrorism!!
    LOL!!!

But in all fairness, the idiot should have left them outside, like all the idiots who talk on the phone in movies, at the counter at the post office instead of doing what they need to do and getting the hell out of the way for the other people trying to get in and out!!
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by macvid View Post
    You know if they don't come in and do this then the potentnial for this to get out of hand grows. So nip in in the bud before it runs rampant.
    Anyone who thinks watching a camcorder rip(off) is fine is never going to be a customer of theirs, so why waste all that energy in fighting something that's a non issue. A movie buff will never compromise his movie consumption, a lesser fan might wait for the "DVD" to come out, but someone who's only looking for something to pass time probably won't want to put too much effort into it. This is the person they should be catering to, make it easy and affordable to get the movie and piracy will go away.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Sorry, folks, but he couldn't have left them outside. They had prescription lenses in them. These were his glasses and he had them turned off, so that they would not record. From what I read, he was held for a number of hours, while the Feds investigated him. The joke of this whole thing was, that we paid for this with our tax money. I think that the MPAA should reimburse the government for the cost, and maybe for whatever happens if the man decides to sue. (Yeah, hold your breath on that one.) Of course, the number one question is- Did the manager apologize to him and offer him a set of free tickets to another show?
    Quote Quote  
  10. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by macvid View Post
    personally i agree, that's why i'm going to correct your spelling of "potentnial" (it's supposed to be potential) because if we allow you to get away with such a tiny spelling mistake it can potentially get out of hand very quickly.

as for that man, he should have been ass raped in front of the entire theater as a warning to any other would-be pirates and i think he should have considered himself lucky he didn't get shot and sentenced to a nice long prison term.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by PhoneMatt View Post
    Sorry, folks, but he couldn't have left them outside. They had prescription lenses in them. These were his glasses and he had them turned off, so that they would not record.
    He can afford google glasses yet doesn't own an actual pair of prescription glasses? What is he going to do when he wants to go to the many places that will prohibit them? Bootleg movies are big business and items as such make it a lot easier. I personally don't care and don't want to waste my tax dollars doing as much but to imply he's a victim is asinine at best.

He's invested the time, money, etc...into learning, purchasing and using the glasses but doesn't have enough common sense for it to ever have crossed his mind??? (Either time)
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I think that we are facing a time analogous to the first VCR's. (OK, bear with me.) When they first came out, they were expensive. Most media companies were dead set against them and proceeded to file suit. The manufacturers kept the cases held off until VCR's were so common, any ruling against them could not be enforced. I think that we will see this with Google Glass. I believe, in 5 years or so, when the price has come down and your local optometrist offers them, we will see these a lot.
    As for thinking about them- My glasses have a Transitions coating, they turn dark in the sunlight. When it is cold, they stay dark indoors for about 5 minutes or so. I have gone into a bank and have been asked to remove them, so my face matches my ID. Trust me, I could not have driven to the bank without them, and I apparently could not cash a check with them on. Is the man a victim, no. Is he thoughtless, perhaps, but, he did think enough of the situation to turn them off. He did nothing wrong. I can record on my phone. Should I surrender it at a concert? (The quality of a recording on Google glass and my phone would probably be the same, total crap.)
    As for cost- My glasses cost around $500. They are nothing special. (no line bifocal with Transitions and non-designer frames.) Sorry, to disappoint you, but I only have one pair. Yes, I can certainly understand not having a second pair. Many people don't.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    The fault in this scenario is totally on the MPAA and the fed lackeys who followed them, getting their priorities mixed up.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by PhoneMatt View Post
    Sorry, folks, but he couldn't have left them outside. They had prescription lenses in them. These were his glasses and he had them turned off, so that they would not record. From what I read, he was held for a number of hours, while the Feds investigated him. The joke of this whole thing was, that we paid for this with our tax money. I think that the MPAA should reimburse the government for the cost, and maybe for whatever happens if the man decides to sue. (Yeah, hold your breath on that one.) Of course, the number one question is- Did the manager apologize to him and offer him a set of free tickets to another show?
    Yes, reimbursement! If you call for emergency services you (the patient) get the bill, so why not something so trivial as Google Glasses?
    Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by sj022698 View Post
    Bootleg movies are big business and items as such make it a lot easier.
    Exactly and why is that? They create artificial scarcity to extract the highest payment, then use the law to fight the inevitable illegal business that sprout around it. They did the same thing during Prohibition and what did they get in the end, a lot of dead innocents and a big crime wave. Duh!

From the article at the Dispatch, he received 4 passes for future shows, but no apologies.
    Quote Quote  
  16. that's not a big deal, wow moment is that it was Homeland Security that acted on this, there was no homeland security in prohibition ...
    Quote Quote