VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I bought a DVD set and it's wrong region so it wont play on my PS3I'm wondering if there's a way to rip the set to my PC so I can stream them to my PS3 using Windows Media Player
    My PS3 prefers mp4 if that makes a difference
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Handbrake or Vidcoder. They will rencode/shrink the video but you will get a mp4 that will work on the ps3 directly.

Another method would be to use Makemkv and make a single mkv. Or rip to a single iso file or dvd folder. No video reconversion. But you must then use another streamer like ps3 media server that can do realtime transcoding to your ps3.

But you have already asked this https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/360824-Is-there-%2Aanything%2A-out-there-that-can-r...32#post2288032

So why did I answer this...
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Ripping is transferring the contents of the disc to the hard drive of the computer. You are talking about conversion of the DVD-video to mp4 format.
    This is easily done, once you decrypt the original discs. Decrypt and rip with DVDFab or AnyDVD, and convert with Handbrake or VidCoder.

When you say a "DVD set", are you talking about a television series? Or just related movies? Ripping individual episodes from a television series disc might involve a slightly different process of ripping.

Oops, looks like I was sucked into a duplicate thread.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post
    Handbrake or Vidcoder. They will rencode/shrink the video but you will get a mp4 that will work on the ps3 directly.

Another method would be to use Makemkv and make a single mkv. Or rip to a single iso file or dvd folder. No video reconversion. But you must then use another streamer like ps3 media server that can do realtime transcoding to your ps3.

But you have already asked this https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/360824-Is-there-%2Aanything%2A-out-there-that-can-r...32#post2288032

So why did I answer this...
    Similar issue but this is a new DVD set "Baretta" TV series I bought and slightly different problem but hoping to get a bit further this time
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by Kerry56 View Post
    Ripping is transferring the contents of the disc to the hard drive of the computer. You are talking about conversion of the DVD-video to mp4 format.
    This is easily done, once you decrypt the original discs. Decrypt and rip with DVDFab or AnyDVD, and convert with Handbrake or VidCoder.

When you say a "DVD set", are you talking about a television series? Or just related movies? Ripping individual episodes from a television series disc might involve a slightly different process of ripping.

Oops, looks like I was sucked into a duplicate thread.
    Its a TV series 4 episodes x 3 DVDs = 12 total

I must be doing something wrong - I run Handbrake - it scans the DVD - I press Start - it says "First you must scan the disc"
    Quote Quote  
  6. I must be just unlucky to own the only 2 series of DVD's that cant be ripped

Anyone want to buy "Baretta Season 1 x 12 episodes?"
    Quote Quote  
  7. Just tried Vidcoder via both my DVD recorders on my PC - - "Error occured whilst scanning"

Pretty sure this DVD collection dates back from the flood but they sure got the rippers beat
    Quote Quote  
  8. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Try rip it first. Dvdfab or anydvd. Then open the dvd folder from your hdd.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I don't think Handbrake is going to read directly from the DVD unless you have anydvd installed,
    even then I don't think it's a good idea. Get the video_ts folder onto the HDD first.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Tried ANYDVD which ripped the DVD to my PC but each track is the same, so the ageing DVD encryption has basically made a mockery of it

I have now tried to rip 2 totally different DVD sets to PC - not rocket science would you think
    The DVD sets are not even current - 80's cop series and an cartoon series - too tough to crack?
    Have been recommended about 34672836728 different pieces of software - a fort knox heist would have fewer solutions than this
    None of which will touch any of these DVD sets
    I have come to the conclusion that these 'programs' have only ever ripped "home made" DVDs, and that commercial DVDs are simply too tough to crack
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search PM
    Have you tried playing the ripped dvd on a software player, like VLC or PowerDVD? You should be able to access and playback all of the episodes from the ripped files. Check this first, before trying to convert anything. If this doesn't work, then rip with AnyDVD as an ISO image file, which will get the entire disc. Right click on the fox icon at the bottom right of your screen to find the option to rip as an image file.

You might have to remove individual episodes using another program, before trying to convert to mp4. Once decrypted, and on the hard drive, you should be able to take out each episode as a separate title using DVDShrink in ReAuthor mode...just don't use any compression with it. Shrink can open an ISO file directly if that is what you are working with. Start it, then click Ctrl I to find the ISO.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Mentally Deficient Mr.Delusional's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    You might give DVD Decrypter a try. Baretta season one was released in 2002
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If Anydvd is installed, you should be able to copy the video_ts folder from the DVD to the HDD using Windows Explorer.
    Either drag and drop, or copy/paste.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by davexnet View Post
    Either drag and drop, or copy/paste.
    I'd recommend using AnyDVD's Rip Video DVD to Harddisk... option.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Mystery solved - For anyone wanting to rip their own DVDs I eventually used DVDFab9

Name:  Capture.PNG
Views: 1221
Size:  13.3 KB

It managed to successfully:
    Read my discs which were in the wrong region discs (which even WMP reported were wrong) - hence why i need to rip them
    Identify the correct tracks/episodes/titles on the disc (none of the other software seem to figure out correctly)
    Ripped and recoded directly into mp4 which work fine on my PS3
    Gave me an opportunity to crank up the quality of the encode to 2000+ which looked great on my TV
    It did take a while because it was also re-encoding but it did let me load 2 DVDs at once (1 in each of my DVD drives) - so I guess if you have 3 it would let you load all 3 at once - just be mindful that by default it names tracks for both DVDs the same? (Track1, Track2, and same on Disc 2, Track 1, Track2) so on my first attempt I came back to find it paused at disk 2 with "This file exists Overwrite?", which seems a bit daft , but before you start the rip it does let you rename the files, track 5, 6 etc
    Although it takes a while, if you set it up correctly with 2/3 DVDs and go to bed, get up it's all done - Sweet!
    Quote Quote  
  16. Isn't DVDFab still in the FFMpeg's "Hall Of Shame"?
    Quote Quote  
  17. Originally Posted by mike20021969 View Post
    Isn't DVDFab still in the FFMpeg's "Hall Of Shame"?
    Pass
    Wo rked for me
    Quote Quote