VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I've been researching for a simple way to do this preferably with 1-2 programs. Handbrake was nearly perfect, but for whatever reason it can't just simply burn in the .srt, and I read I need to convert the .srt to .ssa, remux it into the mkv and finally be able to burn it in with handbrake. The first problem is that I don't want to touch the original mkv (so I would have to make a copy of it for every source) and it is far too much effort. Is there any way to do exactly what I want in one step, preferably something similar to handbrake, but actually can complete the process?
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    xvid4psp 5, video to video converter or avidemux. All free and no adware.

Or the easy Freemake video converter. Be very careful when you install it...tons of adware.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Saying that you "don't want to touch the original mkv" is very vague. That could mean that you are actually saying "I want to magically hard encode my subtitles without encoding the video again" which is not possible. You want hard coded subs then your video gets re-encoded. I am a little concerned that you may be thinking this is something like a "remux and in 5-10 minutes I'm done" kind of process and it is not. But if that's not at all what you meant, no problem. No offense, but new members are not known for accurately describing what they want in their first post here. We get a lot of newbie posts where the guy will ask about doing X and then get a lot of replies on doing X and then we find out that he really wanted to do Y, but he made a mistake in talking about X.

Handbrake has been infamous for the past few years with all kinds of subtitle issues. Since it's apparently developed out of France, I am absolutely amazed that those behind it seem quite content to have the subtitle encoding not work at all, but I guess that says a lot about the needs of the people who use it and develop it. There's some older version of Handbrake from years ago where apparently the subtitle functions still work, but I don't remember what version that was.

Xvid4psp would be my suggestion. It can read in SRT subs fine (and SSA too) and give you the kind of hard coding you need in your desired MP4 output.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by jman98 View Post
    Saying that you "don't want to touch the original mkv" is very vague. That could mean that you are actually saying "I want to magically hard encode my subtitles without encoding the video again" which is not possible. You want hard coded subs then your video gets re-encoded. I am a little concerned that you may be thinking this is something like a "remux and in 5-10 minutes I'm done" kind of process and it is not. But if that's not at all what you meant, no problem. No offense, but new members are not known for accurately describing what they want in their first post here. We get a lot of newbie posts where the guy will ask about doing X and then get a lot of replies on doing X and then we find out that he really wanted to do Y, but he made a mistake in talking about X.

Handbrake has been infamous for the past few years with all kinds of subtitle issues. Since it's apparently developed out of France, I am absolutely amazed that those behind it seem quite content to have the subtitle encoding not work at all, but I guess that says a lot about the needs of the people who use it and develop it. There's some older version of Handbrake from years ago where apparently the subtitle functions still work, but I don't remember what version that was.

Xvid4psp would be my suggestion. It can read in SRT subs fine (and SSA too) and give you the kind of hard coding you need in your desired MP4 output.
    Thanks for the suggestions.

edit: just one thing, do I need to have the .srt file separate from the mkv, or can it access it? I already seperated the .srt from the .mkv, but would like to use only Xvid4psp by itself if possible.
    Last edited by lolwatpear; 22nd Jan 2014 at 15:09.
    Quote Quote