VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I made a video years ago and something weird happened and now the video is finished and it plays the video out of order so it looks very jerky.

I am experienced with avisynth but not with dealing with this kind of issue. Would any kind avisynth pro have a look and tell me what in a script will fix this particular frame sequence problem?

I will link to it below on Youtube you can see what I mean, and if anyone wants to help with this I can provide a dropbox download link to the source video, which has the same issue. Have a look you will easily see what I mean!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzJWVDqJR7s&google_comment_id=z13wepnpkom0d3e1223vudjrv...#gpluscomments

I also have sony vegas movie studio 12 but I am pretty sure it will not allow for advanced frame order corrections, but if it can, I can do that too if you can help me out.
    If you want to see what I've done with my videos,
    check out my video work on youtube, http://www.youtube.com/user/duhmez/
    Quote Quote  
  2. When did the jerkiness problem appear? It sounds like it appeared somewhere between creating the original video and re-encoding/editing it to produce a "finished" version.

I've had a similar problem once or twice when re-encoding video I didn't encode/create myself but never worked out why it was happening, only that the problem seemed to be caused by the decoding of the original video. If I opened the original with MeGUI and indexed it with something like ffmsindex, it'd look jerky (frames out of order) or blocky in the preview even before it was re-encoded. In each case decoding via DirectShow (using ffdshow) was okay, as long as it was simply being decoded from start to finish (without any complicated filtering), so I did it that way. I created a DirectShowSource Avisynth script and used it to convert the original to a lossless format. In my case I opened the Avisynth script with VirtualDub and used ffdshow's HuffYUV encoder to re-compress it losslessly. From there I could edit/re-encode the lossless version without any issue.
    If that doesn't work you could try one of those "convert anything to anything" type of video encoders to convert it to a lossless format you can then work with in the usual manner. Even though they're fairly limited when it comes to filtering and encoder settings etc, sometimes they'll happily work with "problem" video. Video To Video Converter or AnyVideoConverter, for example.

The above might at least give you something to try, unless someone with a more clever idea comes along.
    Last edited by hello_hello; 22nd Jan 2014 at 09:14.
    Quote Quote  
  3. AssumeTFF() or AssumeBFF().
    Quote Quote  
  4. I'm not sure what made the problem. My mistake was deleting my source videos once I finished encoding the original. i did not even know there was a problem until about 2 years later when someone commented asking why the video was so jerky. It was one of my first Youtube videos my newer ones are much more pro now. Now the video is produced the frames are hardcoded out of order. I can easily reencode to huffyuv and use avisynth but hoping someone could tell me what to put in there to fix this soecific video. Jagabo said AssumeTFF() or AssumeBFF() can someone recommend what parameter to put in there if those will work?
    Quote Quote  
  5. AssumeTFF() and AssumeBFF() will only work if you have the original interlaced video. Since you no longer have that you might be able to use something like SelectEvery(2,1,0). Unfortunately, the cadence of the video changes so you'd have to break it down into many sections to get it smooth again. I don't know of any automatic "reorder frames" filter.

For example, this script:

Code:
    ffVideoSource("RAREST.mp4") 
    SelectEvery(2,1,0)
    works well from frames 1760 to 1950. But in other places it only works for a handful of frames at a time. And it makes the smooth portions jerky, of course.

The simplest fix is to reduce the frame rate to 15 fps. If you want, you can also try using motion interpolation techniques to smooth it back to 30 fps:

Code:
    ffVideoSource("RAREST.mp4") 
    SelectEven()
    DoubleFPS2()
    That gets ugly when motions are too large. You can find DoubleFPS2() by searching the forums here. Here's a ~30 second segment showing the original on the left, the smoothed version on the right.
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  6. Wow jagaboo that worked perfectly, but I am shocked to hear it does not work on the whole video! I assumed it would be a constant issue all the way through. For the record, the video source was progressive scan, 1080p camera. I used avidemux to restream my mov file into mkv; the video was lossless the audio sonverted into pcm. Then I used simple directshowsource and lanczosresize and encoded to cvid. A very simple process I was stunned to realize this issue. Since then I have made hundreds of Youtube videos using the same technique. Perhaps a bug in a version of avidemux creeped in there, or a directshow decoder problem for some reason. I'll try some of your suggestions and see what I can make of it.

Isn't it truly bizarre that this happened on a progressive sourced video! It reminded me of a video I made many years ago with the wrong field order then watched it on interlaced television. What is also hilarious is I was watching a RETAIL disk of Family guy season 3, and the Into song where they sing the family guy song, had the WRONG FIELD ORDER! i could not believe this error creeped in on a big production like family guy. I remember it was season 3 and I think it was just disk 1 of season 3, or maybe all the season 3 disks. On an lcd or pc you could not tell but on the interlaced television, watch out!
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by duhmez View Post
    Wow jagaboo that worked perfectly
    There are many distortions if you step through the video frame by frame. Look at frames 23 and 801 for example.
    Quote Quote