VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Can they?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Run a JavaScript blocker like NoScript (Firefox). Block all scripts by default then only allow sites you trust to run scripts. Even if the site you're getting pup-unders from requires JavaScript, the pop-under code is most likely on some advertizing site. So allowing the main site to run scripts will still prevent the pop-unders.

Or you can use an add blocker like AddBlockPlus. With that you may be able to block the specific folder from which the popups originate.

And lastly, you can block most advertizing sites in your hosts file.
    http://winhelp2002.mvps.org/hosts.htm
    Last edited by jagabo; 21st Jan 2014 at 20:33.
    Quote Quote  
  3. AdBlock Plus works very well for Firefox. I think it can also be installed for Chrome and Opera. It's an extension which has it's own extension called the Adblock Plus Pop-up Addon (at least for Firefox). It can check the AdBlock Plus filter rules and block popups that way and you can add rules yourself if need be.
    With AdBlock Plus and the AdBlock Pop-up Addon installed I can't remember the last time I saw a popup. All I see is this at the top of the page:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Clipboard01.gif
Views:	414
Size:	2.1 KB
ID:	22946

For ad and popup blocking without needing to think about it, install one of the AdBlock "subscriptions". I use Easy List.

PS Most browsers let you force the opening of new windows as new tabs so you shouldn't see pop-ups or pop-unders at all. If anything they should just open in a new tab. Assuming you use tabs for browsing.....
    Last edited by hello_hello; 22nd Jan 2014 at 17:53.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Just about any 'blocker' you install will block most things you want to block and a few things you don't want to block. Since the ad sites have been at this for some time, there is no perfect blocker. Most important would be a program that will allow personal preferences. I use a hosts file. It works well enough for me and it's very fast for blocking. And it's free.
    One site to check out: http://winhelp2002.mvps.org/hosts.htm

And I refuse to use 'tabs' for browsing. I mostly use IE because it works well with my other internet programs.

Other blocker programs, try them.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The question was about popunders. Ad Blocker + for Firefox does not work for popunders. Jagabo's suggestion to run Noscripts works,it blocks popunders and it gives you the option to run individual web pages with scripts.
    Quote Quote  
  6. wulf109, can you give a link to a site that was giving you pup-unders?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by redwudz View Post
    And I refuse to use 'tabs' for browsing. I mostly use IE because it works well with my other internet programs.
    There's so many advantages to using tabs, that by comparison browsing without them seems somewhat mental.
    Even if you do use IE......

Originally Posted by wulf109 View Post
    The question was about popunders. Ad Blocker + for Firefox does not work for popunders. Jagabo's suggestion to run Noscripts works,it blocks popunders and it gives you the option to run individual web pages with scripts.
    That's why I suggested AdBlock Plus in combination with the Adblock Plus Pop-up Addon. I strongly suspect it would. I know it's been a long time since I've seen a pop-over, pop-under, or pop-anything.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I'll re-install Adblock+ and Adblock+Popup Add-on and l'll post if it works.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Don't forget a filter subscription such as Easy List.
    Quote Quote