I got these instructions for making the LG RH735T 500Gb DVD recorder (bought in Australia) region free from elsewhere on the internet, but so far have not had any success with it. So either I am doing something wrong or it just doesn't work.
1. Insert a disk from another region.
2. Press the 'Home' button on the remote.
3. Select 'Disc'.
4. Your machine will state 'Wrong Disc' and the disc will be ejected.
5. Press '0' (zero) 7 times. A message will appear to confirm the region change.
6. Press 'Enter' to confirm.
From my experience, it is impossible to press or select ANYTHING between steps 1 and 4 because as soon as a wrong region disc is inserted, the machine automatically goes through the routine of checking the disk, displaying error "Region error" then ejecting immediately -- no opportunity to make the selections in steps 2 or 3 at all.
If anyone else knows how to unlock this machine please tell me what I am doing wrong. Thanks
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 6 of 6
There was one new piece of information on that site that suggested a sequence of 1, 1, 6, 6 so I gave it a shot... no joy.
Thanks anyway. I'll keep looking.
Maybe you need to be quicker on the HOME button?
I don't have my LG unlocked because the burner is dead anyway...
Sometimes companies change the firmware and this breaks hacks that worked on older firmware. It may not be possible to downgrade the firmware to an older version but that might fix your problem. There is some risk involved so if it is even possible on your player (with some manufacturers this is impossible to do - I have no idea about LG), you do so understanding that attempting to downgrade the firmware may brick your player. And there is always the chance that this won't enable the hack to work anyway, even if you do it successful, because there is some other reason it doesn't work.
Aussies and Kiwis can contact the support office of the manufacturer (LG in your case) in their country and beg them to unlock the device. The laws in those countries allows, but does not require, manufacturers to unlock players for region free playback and if you are VERY lucky, maybe LG will have mercy on you and help you. But the rule has always been that specialty players (DVD recorders, portables, combo players, etc.) almost never can be unlocked. Again, do understand that Aussie law ALLOWS manufacturers to unlock player but does NOT require them to do so. If they refuse to do so, they have violated nothing.
Came across another method which involves burning a CD and loading it into the machine. This did not work either. Step 9 (below) just lists the folders on the disc instead of launching any kind of region menu as the instructions would have you believe. So you can never actually get to step 10. Very disappointing...
LG RH188S, LG RH735T
1. Download the zip file "5000.zip" (http://www.dvdexploder.com/lg5000.zip)
2. Unzip the folders and files to the hard drive in exactly the same order as they are in the zip
3. Burn the folder "RMTM0000" (including sub files and/or folders) to a blank CD/R, naming the CD/R "CODEFREE"
4. Make sure you record the disc as Disk At Once (DAO) and as a closed (once only) session
5. Make sure you burn the disc in Joliet mode (not ISO)
6. Insert the disc into the player (with the player in DVD mode, and Input set to "AV1"). It won't play, but the disc icon in the left hand upper corner will read "DATA"
7. Press the "Home" key on the remote
8. Scroll to the Movie icon, then down to disc
9. Hit the "Enter" key on the remote. After about 10 seconds, a Region Select menu will come up
10. Press "0" on the remote for multi-region. The screen will go back to normal and you should be able to play any region
Last edited by dalekky; 26th Jan 2014 at 07:00.